Houzz Logo Print
webuser_218014333

Fridge + Cabinet Dilemma

Jenni
hace 3 años

We have recently purchased a home built in 1984. When built the kitchen was top of the line - now it’s extremely dated appliance wise. Currently there is a built in 48’ sub zero fridge in the cutout. I’m willing to bet this fridge is at least 20+ years old. Needless to say... it’s not doing the job.

I looked at every possible 48’ refrigerators and can’t justify the easily $9,000+ price tag to fill that space.

So, we went with a 36’. Problem being we will now have a space above / to the right side of the fridge that we need to fill in. Directly next to the fridge space is the door to the garage.

top wise - I have some ideas of fillers to make it look good. I’m more struggling with the side.

what would you do? we don‘t really need more kitchen storage (we also already have a cabinet for broom / etc) so it doesn’t even necessarily need to be functional storage.

Comentarios (19)

• PRO
    Bill Fry Construction - Wm. H. Fry Const. Co.
    hace 3 años

Can you upload a photo?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 3 años

Please how will we know unless we see the issues

• Jenni
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Here is the current fridge and how it fits in the kitchen. The new one arrives tomorrow so I can upload a pic of the space it will leave then.

• JuneKnow
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

That’s the original fridge. (And microwave.) Should have replaced it with another built in, and it could go for another 35 years. Or you should have planned to remodel the whole old kitchen. There’s nothing you can do that won’t look like the kludge it is. The new fridge will be far too deep for that spot, and you will have a way below code too small walkway. If you can even get it in that location. Better get to planning the gut reno.

• Sammy
    hace 3 años

Currently there is a built in 48’ sub zero fridge in the cutout. I’m willing to bet this fridge is at least 20+ years old. Needless to say... it’s not doing the job.

I‘ve had that exact same fridge for 20 years... that’s what “justifies” the price! Your Sub-Zero was built to last at least this long, and it was designed to be repaired—over and over, if need be. If “it’s not doing the job,” that just means it needs to be fixed. If you think it looks “dated,” all you have to do is slide the wood panels out and slip some stainless ones into their place. Btw, if you want to know exactly how old it is, look in the freezer for a label like this:

• dan1888
    hace 3 años

I agree with the depth problem you're going to have. I would cancel the problem before delivery. Repair the frig and then begin planning if you need to replace it. You may not be aware of the incredibly poor longevity of the current crop of appliances available now. They have a one year warranty. Bosch has counter depth 36" french door models with recessed handle options that would stick out less. They have dual compressors for about $3k.

I would put the frig replacement down the priority list below replacing the tile counter.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 3 años

IMO the fridge issue is the least of you problems in that kitchen so I would rip out that piece put you fridge there and then plan the redo of that whole space . Yes get a counter depth fridge for sure

• latifolia
    hace 3 años

For significantly less than $9k, you could have gotten two, 24" counter-depth columns. IMO, a much better solution.

• wdccruise
    hace 3 años

How about this:

1. Remove the refrigerator and the "box" that surrounds the refrigerator. Preserve the wood that forms the right-hand side of the refrigerator box.
    2. If the now-exposed sides of the cabinets to the left of the refrigerator box are unfinished, use the wood from the old refrigerator doors to cover the exposed sides.
    3. Reduce the width of the blue soffit to that of the new refrigerator. Repair, paint.
    4. Optional: Install the wood that formed the right-hand side of the old refrigerator box to the right of the new refrigerator space to give it a more built-in appearance.
    5. Slide the new refrigerator under the re-sized soffit.

-- amateur obviously

• Paul NY 5b-6a
    hace 3 años

Oh dear! You have dishonored your SubZero, which is a very grave sin. I don't say that you must gut the entire kitchen, but if the SubZero works or can be repaired, I would consider keeping it for a while longer. A new refrigerator or freezer will probably use less electricity, but not so much less as to warrant a large expenditure, unless the current one is closer to 40 years old than 20.

• Jenni
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Thanks for all the responses. The subzero is original to the house (so 1984) - so we don’t really see the value in putting money in it to repair. I know people swear by the sub zeros that have them - but price wise we just can’t justify at this point in time.

We DO plan to remodel the kitchen in the next few years but the layout works for us - it’s more of the style / updating etc. we just don’t plan to do this currently.

Shortening the soffit is something we’ve discussed. That seems like the more reasonable alternative until we update the rest.

• Sammy
    hace 3 años

Yeah, I can see why you wouldn‘t want to put any money into a nearly 37 year-old refrigerator, Sub-Zero or not. If you had a 632 or newer model, that would be one thing. But yours is pretty darn old, with super-old technology (as in you have to manually defrost the freezer, I think😳). It might even use refrigerant that’s no longer available, in which case it really is beyond saving. Oh well... RIP, big girl.

• wdccruise
    hace 3 años

She's dumping a refrigerator, not losing her husband. Jeez.

• Jenni
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

In other news...... do they still make microwaves to fit the built in area that was pictured? 🤔 I’m not entirely sure what measurements I’d use to look.

The microwave itself is just shy of 18 inches wide and if I measure from the wall to front it’s 23 inches deep.

Or would I be measuring with the wood trim around it?

• Jenni
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

worth noting: cabinets are in really really good condition and sturdy, just very very not the look I am going for. probably will do the crazy thing and paint them / new hardware etc to give it an updated look.

• wdccruise
    hace 3 años

Post the brand and model number. It may be possible to find the dimensions of the oven and its cutout, and then research replacements.

• dan1888
    hace 3 años

Getting a quality finished product when painting cabs requires a lot of prep work. Like hours and hours with specific procedures and cabinet paint. Cabinet Coat is one product. Do your homework and it can be done. It's not like painting a room or trim.

• Jenni
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

It’s a radarange amana. It says touchmatic ii on the front. Based on my search I think it’s the rrl-820. But I haven’t had luck with dimensions.

• Usuario de Houzz-767321631
    hace 2 años

if the amana is working i’ll buy it. hudp93@yahoo.com

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.