Houzz Logo Print
bentleybonnie

Do I install Whirlybird or something else???? - I have no idea? Help!

Hi all, I need to do something regarding the removal of hot air and condensation from my roof cavity. I have mould on the ceiling in a couple of the rooms that get less light (West and Southwest side) due to neighbours trees. I have had 2 different roofing guys tell me that there are no leaks on my roof and that the mould is due to condensation build up in the TILED ROOF. I am in Brisbane. My house is only about 95sqm but the roof cavity has a lot of space in it (I can easily walk around in it). I was going to get a whirlybird (2 of them) - just the ones that spin naturally. However, I am now reading about lots of alternatives. I just want something that has a low price, will last, and will remove condensation in roof cavity. I have no idea how long I will be staying in this house nor whether the next owners will knock my house down or keep it. Can Houzzers please provide me with some advice and recommendations of what to do and if I am really lucky, the name of a company in Brisbane that they have been happy with with respect to what I need (as per above)?? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comentarios (3)

• macyjean
    hace 3 años

A whirlybird might help but I remember the consumer magazine had an article about them years ago and they were more useful in some circumstances than others, it was not a matter on stick one on your roof and it fixes a variety of different issues.. As far as reducing heat goes, our neighbours lasted one summer with the whirlybird and then installed a cooling system. So I think a better understanding of the cause of the problem might lead to better solutions. What else is in your roof? Do you have insulation and/or sisalation? Do the bathroom exhaust fans ventilate into the roof space or are they ducted to the outside? Same question for kitchen rangehood?

Creativelychallenged agradeció a macyjean
  • Kate
    hace 3 años

Great point macyjean about ensuring exhausts vent to outside not into roof cavity. If you have mould the only way to get rid of it is to get in the experts. We had to seal up the space. Remove the plaster, sand the timber frame and treat the space before replastering. Mould spores dig in to timber and plaster and can lie dormant. They can also easily spread in the are, which is why lots of people get sick from mould. Air purifiers can help clean the air.
    Painting over mould hides it temporarily but it will just grow through again. Good luck

Creativelychallenged agradeció a Kate
  • PRO
    Fresh Ventilation
    hace 2 años

Great points about ducting the fans.

On the ceilings which have mould check the roof side of the plaster. If there is no mould on this side then it isn't moisture from the roof cavity but dampness trapped inside your home. Air purifiers don't resolve the issue of trapped dampness they only treat the symptoms. There are other systems out there which treat the cause of the dampness, which is feeding the mould and unhealthy air quality.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.