Houzz Logo Print
bwranischar

pros and cons of no shower door

bwranischar
hace 10 años
Are there any cons to not having a shower door?

Comentarios (12)

• Carolina
    hace 10 años
    The pros are: shower door keeps water in the shower area and it can provide privacy.
    Depends on the bathroom layout I guess. Apart from the above reasons I can't think of cons.
    bwranischar agradeció a Carolina
  • PRO
    B.L. Rieke Custom Home Builders
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    A big con for many homeowners on having a shower door is the price. Glass doors often need to be custom cut to fit your space, and the hardware can also be costly if you choose something other than the default given by the supplier. Though, the pros of having one very often outweigh the cons with glass shower doors in terms of maintenance, attractiveness, and overall value.
    bwranischar agradeció a B.L. Rieke Custom Home Builders
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    hace 10 años
    Having no shower door also means the shower area has to be large enough to accomondate without any spillage.
    bwranischar agradeció a Dytecture
  • joyannello
    hace 10 años
    When we added an additional upstairs bathroom I fought for a no door shower and love it.
    Pros/ no door to clean and a more open appearance
    Cons/ be sure drain/ledge is slightly angled so water stays in shower area
    bwranischar agradeció a joyannello
  • curlycook
    hace 10 años
    Before our custom door arrived, we had no shower door. The cons we noticed were a cooler air temperature while showering and the increased humidity inside the bathroom. Now the steam and heat remain inside the shower and the exhaust fan works efficiently to keep humidity (and frizzy hair) at bay.
    bwranischar agradeció a curlycook
  • kathy
    hace 10 años
    Curkycook - frizzy hair will never be a problem for me - but flat hair will!

Thanks for the info regarding cooler without the door. I have been planning a bath reno for some time now and have wondered about the temperature in no-door showers. I have also contemplated a large-ish 'shower room with tub", so tub within a large enclosed shower, but have wondered if even that would be too large an area to heat with the steam from the shower.
  • PRO
    Boerne Kitchens and Baths
    hace 10 años
    I agree no door will not let the shower warm up as effectively as one with a door. You can have a linear drain installed in front of the door opening inside the shower and a drain in the center. This will keep water from draining out the door.
  • bwranischar
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    We decided that we are going to do a half glass that will be attached to the mid level rock work. So, no goo and maybe some of the warmth and water will be kept in the shower area. Thanks for all of the comments!
  • carriewhittier
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

I've never owned a walk-in shower but was so attracted to the idea. Since then, I've showered in multiple versions via hotels and friends' homes. I'd never own one anymore for the sheer air cooling factor. Those things simply don't allow , me to get the steamy experience I want (99% of the time) when I shower. Instead, I've wound up with goose bumps for the bulk of the time I'm in it - even in the warm water. Brrrr.

• maribelle123
    hace 6 años

we are putting in a 5 x 3 tile shower and want to have a glass wall at the end of the shower by the shower head but want to have NO shower door...just the glass wall. It is a seamless shower floor where there is no lip or curb (and appropriately drained). I assume it might be important to pick out the right shower head. My question is what is the minimum size for the glass wall to limit water spraying out. We want to leave as much room open for the door for future wheelchair access (just trying to make it all ADA). So, 60" wide opening...how much for glass wall and how much can be open....thanks in advance for your advice!

• suezbell
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Leaving any part open will result in water splashing or spraying out. Better to go with a thick clear shower curtain liner, the top of which would be hiding by a cornice. On the plus side, a curtain moves to enable you to have elbow room. A curb up or step down to the shower floor that will keep the bottom of the curtain inside the shower enclosure will also help with this. Don't forget to include a safety grab bar inside the shower enclosure.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.