Houzz Logo Print
neil_fennessey

expose part of the wall around a house to put a window into basement

Neil Fennessey
hace 3 años

Hi,

I have a basement facing east that is full on grade opening. To the north, the grade slopes down fast but I'm thinking of exposing some of that wall so that I can pop in some windows. This means cutting into the block. Are there any issues with this? Just means I need to drain properly and waterproof properly correct?

Nothing too crazy here - but do want to give it a whirl to see if I can bring in more indirect northern light.

What am I missing here? Cost to put in a window where there's block is going to be robust I would imagine yes? A few grand?

Comentarios (6)

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    hace 3 años

Done few of them, not a big deal, as long as you provide a header or concrete lintel above the openings. Most GC's or knowledgable contractors can cut the opening themselves, or some will bring in a mason contractor.

Your best bet is to get a few prices locally.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 3 años

I agree can be done usually but needs expert help.

• Neil Fennessey
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Yes, my concern is primarily in exposing that wall. There's a massive "yew" tree there now so who knows what fresh hell will be uncovered. That being said, it's not a wall that requires that dirt there as the outside slope is such that it can be scaled back some.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 3 años

I think we need some pictures and there is always a chance you uncover a new hell but IMO better now than in the dead of winter. I would need to see the reasoning behind opening another wall whaen it sounds like you have a walkout basement.

• Neil Fennessey
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Light but yes, I need to post photos. Haven't closed on the house yet. Will post photos and more questions if that comes to a reality. We'll be a lot smarter (and poorer) in about 30 days ;-)

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.