Houzz Logo Print
k_knox83

New Build - Window Analysis Paralysis

Kate
hace 3 años

Good morning,

My husband and I are trying to get our new home construction rolling and don't want to sign a contract not knowing what our expected window budget will be. Our builder quoted us about $14k for MI windows (which I will not use), so I know that the budget will only go up from there. He sent me a list of other window brands that his normal supplier carries and I can't find one in the heap that I want to use. Pretty much everything listed has a less than stellar reputation for quality/performance, or terrible warranties, or both. The list includes Jeld-Wen, Pella, PlyGem, Silver Line, Simonton, Atrium, Sierra Pacific, United, & MI. He has stated that if I want to go with another installer, he won't cover them under his one-year builder warranty, which I completely understand, but it's also something to consider. I certainly realize that more competitive window warranties reach leaps beyond this one year mark, but if I fail to do a thorough enough vetting of my outside installer then I'm SOL anyway. That's a significant amount of pressure, hence the analysis paralysis.

His other supplier carries Marvin, which I would be willing to look at and get an estimate, but from what I understand, they can be pricey and air infiltration is not where I would want it to be. (But if I'm wrong here, let me know!) They also carry Andersen, which we have in our current house. They have been pretty solid windows for us, but they seem to be priced even higher and I'm not really interested in subsidizing their massive advertising campaign.

We live in southern PA and will be in a wooded lot without much direct "harsh" sunlight unless the leaves are down and we also get some nasty winds in the winter and early spring. With those things in mind I would prefer that we go with an upper tier vinyl window, rather than wood, composite, or fiberglass, for better U-factor and air infiltration numbers. I'm not sure if SHGC and U-factor are more or less tied to one another, but I would imagine that a slightly more elevated SHGC would be preferable to allow for passive solar gain in the winter. Do higher SHGC and VT numbers tend to rise and fall with each other? Being on a wooded lot, bringing more natural light into the house is also a concern, so that is a factor as well. The home we are building will be craftsman/transitional with white on the interior and exterior of the windows with mostly DH and picture windows, as well as a few casements and swinging patio doors.

Reputable brands that I've been able to find in my area include:

-Sunrise (Unfortunately only Essentials and Standard)

-ProVia (Not sure what lines the installer specifically carries)

-Polaris (UltraWeld, ThermaWeld, and DynaWeld)

-Okna (Sadly, it's probable that the installer/dealer may not cover my county. These were my first choice.)

I would like a window that looks nice, but performance, durability, and a solid warranty are the key players in my book. Affordability doesn't hurt, but I'm willing to invest in a solid product. We intend to live in this house for the long haul. Sorry for the ramble! Thanks in advance for any input!

Comentarios (5)

• Kate
    Autor original
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

Adding that the second supplier also carries Ideal and Atrium Vinyl windows. I am having a hard time finding reviews for Ideal windows online, but from a few stats on a quick search, some of their structural test numbers look alright. From what I understand, Atrium is owned by Pella and is basically the same thing as Reliabilt, so that is out. Looking into Andersen just a bit more just because, the A series looks like a more energy efficient window that my builder is able to get through his normal suppliers. Is that worth a look or can I find something else comparable below that price point?

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    hace 3 años

Where in Southern PA? Is this just a new construction budget for windows we are talking about?

How many operators and types? If you send me the list, I can put you in contact with someone on a materials only type quote.

Ditch the Sunrise Essentials. That window is, essentially, garbage. The Polaris line up is fine and stay with the higher lines (therma and ultra).

Kate agradeció a Windows on Washington Ltd
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 3 años

"He has stated that if I want to go with another installer, he won't cover them under his one-year builder warranty..."

This builder isn't too smart. What if your guy doesn't show up on time and holds up his trades? What if there is a leak and a subsequent argument as to whose fault it is?

I always keep how it's done and who's doing it on my jobs. He should too.

• millworkman
    hace 3 años

" they can be pricey and air infiltration is not where I would want it to be. "

But what if the builder grade windows fall apart inside of 10 years? How did the little bit of air infiltration numbers being off matter then? The numbers are not quite as good but doesn't mean they will leak air like a sieve. Need to look at the entire package, not just one number.

• David Cary
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

To echo a comment above, we have a window that doesn't close right without pushing from the outside. It is partly a brick problem and partly a window problem (at least that is what they told me). They are going to adjust the window but it may require brick adjustment (which is not a minor thing).

If there was an install problem with an outside installer, it would just mean that it was on you to get them back to fix it. It doesn't mean that they won't fix it - just that your GC won't help you.

Honestly, it seems kind of a weird argument because the real issues would be scheduling and supply issues. And he doesn't mention that.

Personally not used to a window allowance and I think that is a bit unusual. Maybe that isn't what you were saying but to me, if you have a fixed price contract, the windows should have been chosen already since it is one of the largest line-items that people can't go shop themselves easily at all.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.