Houzz Logo Print
sam_potter37

To paint or not to paint?

Sam Potter
hace 3 años

Guys! Look what I got on Freecycle! So you know that trendy thing of painting halfway up doors to match the colours above and below dado rails? Completely ignoring the door panel placement? My kitchen is black at the bottom and pink at the top. What do you think about painting the cupboard similarly? Or is that sacrilege? I think it probably is.

Comentarios (72)

• Victoria
    hace 3 años

I like the top one too

• Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

We are drawn to the top one. With the leafy one second. The lemurs were a bit disappointing. The drawing is a bit rough and ready. Plus the sample doesnt include a whole lemur.

• Conversaciones relacionadas

Foyer needing help!

Q

(3) comentarios
    Hi Cristina, your table looks very beautiful however I discourage to have such furniture at home because of the mirrors. I work as a feng shui consultant and I know that the mirrors have some kind of power and one should be very carful placing them in the house. My personal opinion is to have a mirror in the place where the mirror can´t see you while you are resting or sleeping because in long term it can have negative influence on you. The mirror was created to look at it and it shouldn´t be used extensively also because of the reflections of the light. The human eye naturally is used to see the light coming from certain directions, if it comes from the direction which is not used to the light, especially artificial one, it may effect your vision or have negative influence on your mood. I'm talking about something very subtle which sometimes may be felt after some time. Another thing is that I always encourage people to don´t use repetitive patterns in the house just simple irregular forms and calm and worm colours which make the space more cozy and more natural. If you need more help with the rest of your house please let me know. I could make a 3d visualisation of your place to shaw the layout. Best \Marcin
    ...Ver más

entertainment center,nightstand and mantel

Q

(0) comentarios
    we work with oak wood, maple for stained and poplar for paint
    ...Ver más

change the style and color of your house

Q

(0) comentarios
    Paint exterior, interior
    ...Ver más

Rudy Painting LLC

Q

(0) comentarios
    you need a company to paint your house call me at 8437542897
    ...Ver más
  • Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Ooh wrong pic

• tamp75
    hace 3 años

Too one gets my vote too.

• E D
    hace 3 años

Another vote for top one, plus a vote for not painting the dresser.

• Jules Mc
    hace 3 años

Bottom left paper is my favourite. Love the intensity of the colours. Like it better with the pink/coral too. Can you get a bigger sample before committing to any Sam ?

• pmasmith3
    hace 3 años

I would have said top sample until you put bottom left on. It picks up the deep pink of your chair and macrame pot holder and also the small bright green leaf is pretty close to your hall colour. It's very dramatic and different.

• Carolina
    hace 3 años

Following to see how this develops :-) I'm sure it'll be unique and lovely

• Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Hiya. Thanks all for your advice. We've narrowed it down, which included adding one. The new one is a version of the original 'bottom left' design, with a gold background instead of black. It's been pointed out to me that the middle one includes diagonals which echo the cupboard's glazing bars, and squared/stepped lines which match the pattern on the bottom doors. I still like the bohemian flowers ( top), but think it's less impressive seen on a whole wall, somehow.
    What do people think? If you're still rooting for one of the others feel free to trash the final three!

• T Gray
    hace 3 años

Get some LED lights in there once you have wallpapered the inside, it's going to look amazing!

• Sonia
    hace 3 años

I’ve changed my mind! Seeing more of the wallpaper means I prefer number 2 with the gold detail. Very Art Deco. The first one is a teeny bit migraine inducing 😂

• User
    hace 3 años

2nd one for me. It is amazing.

• Carolina
    hace 3 años

3rd one for me. Love the parrots and other animals in there.

• Victoria
    hace 3 años

If you are doing the whole wall, I think the 3rd one is best.

• Jules Mc
    hace 3 años

I'm rubbish on Photoshop so had a play on piccollage (it's raining!! 😒) Wallpapers obvs not to scale but colour wise I think your last choice is a winner!!

• Jules Mc
    hace 3 años

This was my fave but not so sure n I w unless you went with a really bright contrast for the dresser.

• Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Well. To distract myself while we decide, I decided to finish the 'black at the bottom' paint job, on the third wall. The one with the the fridge and under stairs slide-out drawer/cupboard/shelves.
    I've only done one coat so far but it's made the room look SO much smaller.
    Agh. Partner thinks if I finish the black paint job we should keep the wall behind the big cupboard pale pink. His instinct is to revert to pink on the stair wall, and go ahead with wallpapering the big cupboard wall.

• E D
    hace 3 años

Sam, do you have a ‘before’ photo taken from the same/similar angle?

• ebony45
    hace 3 años

Not sure of the black on the stair wall. Usually love your decor decisions but feel this one is not quite right.

• Jonathan
    hace 3 años

I don’t like the Black on the stair wall. I would go pale and then paint the back of the cubby holes in black.

• Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Hiya. Post viral fatigue is making me slower than normal at responding but I'm really grateful for all your advice. Maddie, I missed your message a while ago. The floor is getting boarded! Not by pirates. It's plywood. In advance of sheet vinyl. The beaten up boards were lovely but super unhygenic, particularly with an incontinent dog in the family. My partner is moving in (woop) but he's bringing his normal levels of cleanliness with him, so I have to start acting a bit more grownup and occasionally allowing him to mop the floors ;-).
    I'm going to repaint the black stair wall pink, but leave the 'back of the cupboard' areas black, as suggested by the never-wrong Jonathan.
    I still don't know which wallpaper to go for.
    And here's a pic of the stair wall before I painted it.

• Carolina
    hace 3 años

Not by pirates 😂

• E D
    hace 3 años

Ya, I chuckled reading that. 😄

• Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Apologies! Minnie101, not Maddie.

• Jonathan
    hace 3 años

I love reading your posts.
    And thanks for the compliment- it’s true I am always right 😉

• Victoria
    hace 3 años

🤣

• E D
    hace 3 años

And modest too! 😄

• Jonathan
    hace 3 años

E D- good point well made

• Carolina
    hace 3 años

Sam, are you on instagram? If you are, check out luluandolivevintage. Think you’ll like her style. And she just did a makeover on her dining room. Painted a built in cabinet black (or dark blue) with orange/hot pink wallpaper on the inside and it looks fab. I could see that on your cabinet: black with bright coloured interior.

• Victoria
    hace 3 años

Yes, I’d rather see the interior of the cabinet papered than the wall.

• Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Thanks Caroline, that does look good! Today's job: get on the 'gram and become an influencer :-)

• Carolina
    hace 3 años

Sounds like a good plan! :-D It's really a good source of inspiration.

And I know you're probably joking, but you'd be a huge success on instagram with all your projects and sense of humour. Go and influence!

• E D
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

Looks fantastic.

I knew you’d follow my advice... 😊

Love the added bits to switch and wall!

• mii2
    hace 3 años

Amazing - you have talent!

• minnie101
    hace 3 años

Looks amazing Sam but someone isn’t impressed 😂

• Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Minnie we have a cat staying. If she had a nose it would be out of joint.

• minnie101
    hace 3 años

😂

• Victoria
    hace 3 años

Love the paper. Now I want you to paint the cabinet a bright colour 😂

• Carolina
    hace 3 años

Hahaha, Victoria. Use your hypnotic powers! Maybe only the inside of the cabinet though.

I love the wallpaper. And the quirky touches to the other wall and switch. Very clever :-)

• Tania Scott
    hace 3 años

I love this room, beautifully done

• nmlondon
    hace 3 años

What a gorgeous room and the dresser looks just right in that setting, I’m reminded of my time in Thailand and Cambodia. Can you please post a photo in the daylight. I can imagine myself leisurely drinking my morning espresso or jasmine tea in this room. ....and that hummingbird by the hibiscus!

• Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Thanks for you kind comment nmlondon. I think that’s the first time Newcastle has been compared to Thailand! Here are some daylight shots,. As you can see it’s a super dark room, and the canopy outside the kitchen window doesn’t help, but we need the outdoor weatherproof space. I’m really pleased with this room. It was a dining room when I bought the place, as pretty much a wreck, three years ago. The original tiny back kitchen is now the utility and a little shower room.

• nmlondon
    hace 3 años

gosh, I love it! I love it how your house is a real thing, not carefully (artfully) staged sterile Instagram images. it surely will be brighter in spring and summer. the glass doors reflect the light nicely. Happy New year and hopefully all your decorating plans and ambitions become the reality.

• E D
    hace 3 años

Looking superbly, organically stylish AND homely. 👌

• Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Aw shucks guys! Thanks! I’m definitely aiming for a tiny bit more stylish. My partner brought that heinous green drainer from his house and was everso pleased with himself for solving a problem I wasn’t aware I had! And the el cheapo Wilko kettle is a placeholder til I get a boiling water tap, so I haven’t upgraded it for three years. Plus he’s got a brewing corner in the kitchen, and a 3D printing bench in the utility. I’m just glad to have his wallpapering skills! Though we had a difficult conversation when he replaced my Henry who fitted under the stairs for his Dyson which doesn’t :-)

• Victoria
    hace 3 años

I have yet to find a stylish drainer

• E D
    hace 3 años

Hehe Sam. 😂

Funnily enough I noticed the kettle and drying rack and didn't mind them at all.

It kind of adds to the relaxed, unpretentious look.

Ok, maybe replace the kettle, if you must. 🙂

• E D
    hace 3 años

Btw, I like the look of a Mr Henry, but not its sound!

They all seem to make a high pitched, piercing whine, audible from (quite literally) miles away. 😱

• Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

True, my Henry was a shrieked, but also an old model, from before enviro regs made hoovers less powerful.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.