Houzz Logo Print
kudzu9

Looking for countertop removal advice

kudzu9
hace 3 años

A friend is replacing his existing laminate on particle board countertops with granite, and he is doing the demo work. He asked me for advice on removing a part of the countertop that is trapped between the lower cabinets and cabinetry that sits on top of the existing countertop. The problem countertop is the one in the middle with the appliance garage over it, and he doesn't want to remove existing upper cabinets to get the countertop removed:

I'm thinking to start by removing the applied wooden strip around the front and right side edges, and then a circular saw to cut out most of the center of the countertop, followed by a multi-tool to cut out pieces of what remains until it's all cleared out.

I'd appreciate any suggestions about how to do this most efficiently, and with minimal damage to the rest of the cabinetry. Thanks.

Comentarios (10)

• kudzu9
    Autor original
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

The concern is that you have to take out more than just the one cabinet....

• millworkman
    hace 3 años

To me your approach sounds doable. How is he going to get a new top in?

kudzu9 agradeció a millworkman
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 3 años

Excellent question millworkman. I'd check the thickness of the new tops and the level of the existing lower cabinet. The top cabinet may have to be pulled anyway.

kudzu9 agradeció a Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • PRO
    Morningstar Stone & Tile
    hace 3 años

You need to remove the top cabinet.

kudzu9 agradeció a Morningstar Stone & Tile
  • kudzu9
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

I should have mentioned that I already pointed out to my friend that the new granite counter will be thicker than the gap occupied by the existing one that needs to be removed. The granite installer who did the laser measurements said that they would be able to deal with that and have a tight fit.

So, I’m returning to my original query: If the top cabinet isn’t pulled, are there any other thoughts on removal techniques for the existing countertop? Thanks.

• Fori
    hace 3 años

You could use a different edge on this section of counter--might be able to get away with it as it's its own zone kind of. Leave the existing counter and put the new on top of it with a big lip to cover the laminate. Or cut the laminate overhang back to the cabinet front and cover the front of it with maple trim in case anyone peeks under the new countertop.

How good is the granite installer? The side looks tricky!

kudzu9 agradeció a Fori
  • ci_lantro
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

I suspect that it would take less time & be a lot less messy to just remove that cabinet. Also less risk of damage to the cabinet. What does the cabinet intersection to the ceiling look like? Hopefully there isn't a bunch of stacked crown molding.

• kudzu9
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

ci_lantro- Good points. I haven't been able to actually look at in person...just have the pictures from my friend. I need to inspect it to see if I can easily help him pull just that one cabinet or if it's all tied up with the others and complicated by more molding.

• kudzu9
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Thanks everyone. I feel better equipped to make an on-site assessment now.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.