Houzz Logo Print
alexa5013

Teen boho bedroom advice

alexa5013
hace 3 años

Hi Houzzers, looking for some design help please. My 16 y o has decided she wants a boho bedroom but the incredibly expensive bed she has doesn't really fit that look and no way are we getting rid of it. I've read about boho luxe but have no idea what that is. I've attached a pic of the bed so you can see what I'm talking about. There's a built in robe to the right of the bed, and a desk in an alcove at its base (out of shot). The left hand corner is a pile of cushions right now. She'd love a fabric bed canopy but the air con would be right in front of it. Thanks in advance for any help to save yet another expensive mistake

Comentarios (20)

• Kate
    hace 3 años

Is this what she is after. Get her to collect some images.

alexa5013 agradeció a Kate
  • alexa5013
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

that's exactly what she's thinking, all the images she's collected are white washed walls, timber bed head, lots of bleached linen, jute rug, macrame hangings, etc. Basically anything but the bed she has right now!

• bigreader
    hace 3 años

Get a Mandela throw and drape it over the bed head. My 10yo has similar boho taste. A macrame hanging chair from Bunnings was a reasonable price. Ikea has the best value jute rugs.

• alexa5013
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

I love those mandala throws. I could even lightly tack it to the bed head to keep it in place. great idea - where do I get one do you know? online? thanks so much!!

• bigreader
    hace 3 años

Both of the throws in my pics are from Etsy but they’re fairly popular so you’ll prob be able to get similar at a few suppliers. Eg Ishka

alexa5013 agradeció a bigreader
  • bigreader
    hace 3 años

I just had a thought - get a Mandela doona cover, Temple and Webster, Adairs and catch.com.au have had them. Then you could use the doona cover as a slipcover for the bed head. It won’t be perfect but boho isn’t meant to be.

alexa5013 agradeció a bigreader
  • alexa5013
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Yes that might work, even with the slight wings on each side, thanks heaps for the inspo!

• Kate
    hace 3 años

I would just get great white I enjoy adding some textured elements with large pillows at the back to help minimize the view of the bed head.

alexa5013 agradeció a Kate
  • rocksfam
    hace 3 años

I do feel your pain. I have 4 girls and they are always wanting to change things up! I look at 'magazine' homes where all the bedrooms are so tastefully decorated and I wonder if those children are happy with it (and how do I do that lol). To me, their bedrooms should be a safe space where they can let down all the barriers as well as get a good night's sleep.

If the canopy over the bed doesn't work due to the air conditioning, what about hanging it in a corner, with some floor cushions as a chillout/reading/device corner?

alexa5013 agradeció a rocksfam
  • Usuario de Houzz-269699340
    hace 3 años

How about a Macrame above the bed and some macrame plant hangers for each end of the curtain rod. Kmart had some great Boho cushions a while back , making an inexpensive makeover. Spotlight also had some great Boho throws for $20. Goodluck.

alexa5013 agradeció a Usuario de Houzz-269699340
  • scattycat
    hace 3 años

The Mandela throws are available cheaply on Wish. I’d then search Marketplace and look for cane furniture such a hutch for her collectables, a side table to replace her bedside table and maybe a chair. A couple of plants would look great, such as Mother-in-laws Tongue, Zanzibar Gem, or Peace Lily which can all grow in low light areas. Kmart has cheap jute rugs. The beauty of boho is that it’s supposed to be eclectic and textural, not matching. Hope this helps.

alexa5013 agradeció a scattycat
  • alexa5013
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Thanks all for the above, we did in fact snap up some of those Kmart boho cushions as the start of this "make over" so that's one thing ticked off the list! And I have been browsing cane furniture now and then on Gumtree so will keep looking. thanks for all the help!

• Austere Hamlet
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

Nothing wrong with the bed, but of course it may have been better in cranberry or teal for a boho look. However there are things you can do, yes even with a dark grey buttonback bedhead. Some of those things are scary and some less so. Depends on what boho style she likes. There is the colourful kind.....

and the far more boring naturals kind.

1. You can paint fabric. You can in fact buy car upholstery recolouring spray for this exact purpose. Say goodbye to grey, say hello to cranberry. It will change the feel of the fabric by making it stiffer. But since it's on a bedhead and not say a lounge chair it's very likely to last and not look rubbish once it wears. Bear in mind you won't be able to make the bedhead lighter this way. There is also the option to paint it with acrylic wall paint. You will have more latitude to change the colour since it's solid but it will also take on a stiff and somewhat waxy look and feel resembling leather.

2. buy a morrocan or some kind of intricate pendant for the room.

3. Choose patterned cushions not plain. a trellis design, a velvet, a paisley will all work well., Focus on colour palettes involving orange, fuschia, teal, cranberry, turquoise or pastel versions of that.

4 The side table lamp is fine. You might want to paint or wallpaper the bedside table however.

5. You need voile curtains and a velvet or silk-look-a-like drape. Voile is also excellent to make a bed canopy for a very dreamy and aircon friendly look. One of those oversized mosquito nets above the bed does the trick for $20 and you can even string a set of fairly lights in it for an ethereal look.

6. Get a patterned rug. One of those faded and distressed persian styles is perfect.

alexa5013 agradeció a Austere Hamlet
  • alexa5013
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Thanks for such detailed feedback! The grey dates from the previous colour scheme, now removed. Sigh. Not sure what colours she's thinking now but I will show her all the ideas. Very grateful for so many options now!

• PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    hace 3 años

HI alexa5013, Marie here.

I've done plenty of Boho Luxe, Boho Chic and Modern Boho designs. The power is in the accessories. You need to shop for that one "inspiration" that will depict your palette and scale of pattern. In the first photo I've attached, my inspiration was this great white rattan chair with a tie-dye style floral pattern. I used green as my base neutral, then layered pinks, purple tones throughout to obtain the boho vibe. A Mix of metals is a must, you need that for sparkle. Find that one piece of art, or a fabric for drapery that both you and your daughter love - then start layering in he remaining pieces in new bedding, artwork, light fixture, lamps - this is truly such a fun look. My "Pink Girls" photo is the mindset of the Boho Girl. But like any good design, you must start with that first inspiration piece as a jumping off point. FYI: boho luxe - is rich colours and textures, mixed and matched with creative flair to create luxury and sophistication. Generally, a more expensive version to the Boho genre.

alexa5013 agradeció a Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
  • julie herbert
    hace 3 años

Love boho bedrooms, you can create a gorgeous dreamy room, choose beautiful fabrics and textures, floor cushions, textured rugs, wall hanging as suggested for over bedhead would look great, Urban Outfitters, Etsy but try Ebay for a lot less in price, choose a soft colour scheme that way you can add a contrast if needed.

alexa5013 agradeció a julie herbert
  • The Doktor
    hace 3 años

Boho or Boohoo ?

Teenagers need to understand the value of a $ and live with what they have until they can afford to splash out on what they want rather than what they need.

• alexa5013
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

I was under the impression this was a decorating website not one for unwarranted lectures on parenting. My daughter wants to have a career in interior design so on a budget I'm happy to help her explore her creativity and ambitions using Gumtree and my sewing machine and advice from generous minded Houzzers.

• JE C
    hace 3 años

Well said Alexa5013. Exactly what I was thinking.

alexa5013 agradeció a JE C
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.