Houzz Logo Print
webuser_8508408

Help! Rental decor dilemma

K
hace 4 años

Hoping to get some advice/suggestions/inspiration for decorating our sitting room (we are renters). Working with Magnolia walls, dark grey/brownish berber carpet, and a wood + black fire place. Quite a conflicting combo. Firstly trying to decide which colour curtains and couch to go with, as well as other furniture and decor. I’m stumped!

Comentarios (23)

• PRO
    Dual Designs
    hace 4 años

I would go with blue as your predominant colour which will go nicely with your décor, then add from there

:))

• Jules Mc
    hace 4 años

Assuming you cant/don't want to decorate or change any of what you've mentioned I would suggest it's quite a pretty neutral scheme to work around. Much better than a bright red swirly carpet. Although I'm not usually a fan of rugs on carpets you could invest in a large rug if the brown carpet is too dominant. And large artwork and mirrors will also have an impact and help the magnolia be less er... magnolia!! If you were working with a totally blank canvas, what style do you like?

• K
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks for the great feedback and photos. I do love some boho! I’m one of those tricky people who like many different styles. Id just love for the room to be cozy and tied together!

• K
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Any suggestions for what colour might work for curtains? We cant go with sheers as we live on a town street and privacy is a factor

• Jules Mc
    hace 4 años

Some photos of the room would be helpful. Blinds may be a better option but until seeing the room it's a bit hard to make suggestions.

• K
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

For some reason it’s not letting me upload my photo, I’ll keep trying!

• K
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

• K
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

• PRO
    Element Design
    hace 4 años

I would go with blue or grey which will go nicely with your sofas. Then add from there maybe a funky coffee table or pictures/frames on the wall with a nice colours accents. :)

• K
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I actually just ordered sofa slip covers in gray but sadly in person they are quite a cool/blue/purple type of grey. I don’t think it works with the warm magnolia walls. Same with these curtains, I thought they would be a light beige but they too look quite grey against the walls

• K
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

• PRO
    Element Design
    hace 4 años

in my opinion the colours looks Ok. I would add more personality into the room. Add some colourfull cushions, maybe do a feature wall with frames, props etc. And don't forget about greenery. Then the magic will happen. :)

• K
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks for your feedback! I was sure I’d return the slip cover for an Ivory colour but was stumped with the curtains!

• Sonia
    hace 4 años

I would have suggested curtains of a similar tone to the walls and although yours are more grey, it still works. They’re inoffensive and once the room is accessorised you won’t even notice them. Are you allowed to put up pictures? Artwork makes so much difference. And a mirror. Once you get your ivory sofa covers, you can try and add some colour with cushions - green or blue would be nice as would burnt orange and earthy tones, stick with neutrals but with added texture, maybe some black, and a casual knitted throw. I really like the boho/Scandi look. A rug in a faded Persian pattern, plants and lighting will finish the look. If boho is not for you, then what do you like - modern, country, Scandi, traditional?

• K
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

That was what I was trying to achieve when I ordered them but they’re actually quite a grey tone of beige — I guess that’s the risk with online shopping! I will definitely be adding a nice mirror above the fire place and some artwork when I can get out and shop again. I find shopping online so difficult but that’s all I can do for now! Thanks for your feedback and ideas!

• Jules Mc
    hace 4 años

Can, you return the sofa covers for a different colour. If not, I do prefer them to the brown stripes, even if they are more too purple/blue than, deep, grey.

Hard to tell colour exactly from a photo but I've found some ideas to work around it (with covers) if you think these may work?

If they weren't too expensive you can also machine dye curtains if they're not working in the room (dark denim covers lighter colours well) although I agree with Sonia, and you may want to try these in a different room in favour of a new set to blend in with the wall colour.

• K
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks for that! The sofa covers are like a cool purple/blue grey. And yes I can return them! Those purple couches are warmer and would definitely work better with the warmer tone of the walls (I think) but I haven’t seen any slip covers in that shade. What colour curtains do you think would suit the room best?

• Jules Mc
    hace 4 años

I think I'd decide on your slip covers first. Whether you're keeping those, ordering a different colour or end up keeping the brown striped one, a sofa is a bigger item to decorate/style around than curtains. It looks like you've already, gathered those up so, they won't be being returned, will they?

I'd live with them for now and make a decision about whether you need, to change then, once the rest of the room has come together. It may be once you've added some cushions, artwork, plsbts, etc., they work better than you think they do now.

• K
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I’m definitely leaning toward getting Ivory slip covers instead. But that’s a good call as well, to try them out for a little while and see how everhthing comes together. Thanks!

• Jules Mc
    hace 4 años

You're welcome. Keep us updated. Once you start pulling things together there are some fab people on here to help you tweak things.

Also, it might be worth looking on YouTube for inspiration. Someone like xo makenna does some great diy's, upcycles, and teaches macrame and ideas for simple original art pieces. Might be a bit harder to get hold of some of the materials right now but she def has a style that would work in your room. Best of luck

• K
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Oh awesome thanks! Will definitely check that out!

• Jules Mc
    hace 4 años

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1qYYEpM1_Mg

A link. Just in case I didn't spell it correctly. There's loads of videos on there, some better than others.

K agradeció a Jules Mc
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.