Houzz Logo Print
mondaynightdecor

Looking for feedback on exterior design for my "Modern" Raised Ranch

Mondaynight Decor
hace 4 años

We recently purchased this raised ranch with modern vibes (to us, anyway). We are playing around with ideas for improvements that could be made with a relatively modest budget as most of our improvements budget is going to interior upgrades.

I would love to have some feedback or suggestions, in particular about what to do to the front entry/step area. I would like to update with a more modern and interesting entrance.

The design plan components:

• Paint - we do not like the red, and really do not like the red on red on red. We like moody slate blues/greys, possibly with light clay colored accents on the eaves/fascia/soffits, possibly paint gutters
  • New garage door
  • New front door
  • Add horizontal wood slats to the face of the existing ugly concrete retaining wall
  • Add stone paneling to the existing timber retaining walls
  • Do something with the existing red brick patio. Clean, stain, not sure.
  • Clean up the landscaping
  • New lights, house number
  • Improve the front step/entry somehow. I had the idea of adding horizontal wood slats to the siding around the door to define the area and separate it from the vertical siding on the rest of the house. I also mocked up the addition of vertical wood slats that run from top of the overhang to the ground and serve as the see-through walls of the front step. Thoughts on this?

I would love to have any feedback or suggestions. About the front step or any other component. Thanks in advance for being kind - my mockups are from a free tool so I had to improvise some things!

Comentarios (17)

• katinparadise
    hace 4 años

Wonderful job with your mock-up! It suits the style of the home very well.

Mondaynight Decor agradeció a katinparadise
  • Mondaynight Decor
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I thought these additional photos might be helpful

• nickel_kg
    hace 4 años

Wow, love your new colors, blues and tans, with an orange door! For the front entry, I like the idea of vertical slats forming an open 'wall' from overhang to ground. And will you also widen the steps, so they don't present a pinch point to the front door? What an excellent start!

Mondaynight Decor agradeció a nickel_kg
  • oreolucca1
    hace 4 años

I think your mock up looks great. I would pressure wash the bricks that you have. Love The wood wall in my area this would cost quite a bit. I would Modernize landscaping will make a huge difference.

Mondaynight Decor agradeció a oreolucca1
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    hace 4 años

Getting rid of the red is the major first step. I would second power washing the brick patio- might be fine as the lone red element. I’m nervous about the ‘stone’ panels mounted on wood retaining walls. That doesn’t sound like a good long term solution. I would use solid color stain to paint the wood black for now, put in real concrete retaining walls with a stone face when you can afford it.

Mondaynight Decor agradeció a HALLETT & Co.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Like your mock up.

Is it dark in the house, cuz there are so few windows and they are small?

I added additional windows to your mock up

Mondaynight Decor agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • houssaon
    hace 4 años

Like your mock up. Getting the house painted will be a big first step.

Mondaynight Decor agradeció a houssaon
  • emmarene9
    hace 4 años

I like what you are proposing

The transition from the walk to the three wooden steps and the stoop looks awkward. I hope someone can suggest an alternative. You should maybe resolve that before you paint..

• Mondaynight Decor
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Wow! Thank you all for your input.

@nickel_kg i agree that the step/porch should be widened. Hubs suggested extending the step a foot or 2 to the left, but then what to do about the alignment of the vertical wood slats to the overhang Roof? Do you think it would look ok to jut them out on one side so that one part has no roof?

Something along the lines of this photo but instead of attaching to the side of the house, attached to the overhang roof?

• Mondaynight Decor
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

@HALLETT & Co. You have a point about the longevity of the stone panels on the timber retainers. The tool I used had a stone option and I got excited about the look. I will mock up a version with black stained timbers later today. Thank you for this suggestion.

• Mondaynight Decor
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

@BeverlyFLADeziner Love the look of the upgraded windows, it certainly looks better than the smaller windows on the exterior. Maybe someday. We actually don’t have an issue with light thanks to a large set of windows on the side of the house but it would solve some furniture layout gripes I have been working through!

• Michele
    hace 4 años

Yes, your mock-up is great!

Mondaynight Decor agradeció a Michele
  • Mondaynight Decor
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

@Beth H. :Yes, I saw some of these before and afters when researching and they give me hope! I will try to mockup wood paneling over the garage like you suggested.

I love the garage door style, it is actually what we have in mind but could not reproduce in the mockup tool I am using. Also, your fence suggestions have given me some inspiration ... perhaps I could try to paint or stain the concrete wall black to tie in with the black timber retainers suggested by @HALLETT & Co. and then try to use some pattern of wood panels over the concrete wall instead of a full wall of wood. I will play around with that idea and see how it looks.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

If you don't do a crazy size you can purchase the windows at HD or Lowes.

I'd do it BEFORE I painted.

• nickel_kg
    hace 4 años

Mondaynight, I'm at the limit of my design envisioning! I don't know how to exceed the roof line without it looking odd -- but there must be some way..?

• Jenn
    hace 4 años

I love the colors you have picked, we will be painting our house soon and I may steal your palette :). For your awkward front step situation, I think if you extended the steps so they were as wide as the porch and made them timber steps like the others, or at least put solid risers on them so you can't see through, it would look nice.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.