Houzz Logo Print
chogg01

Fence Style Question

Chris
hace 4 años

So our fence is being built. Just not sure what the correct look would be?

The yard rolls quite a bit.

Do I raise the top rail up so that a 6ft fence board fits?

Do I keep the top and middle rail straight all along and then just cut the fence boards 3” shorter?

My wife thinks for esthetically it would look better if the top of the rail went all the way along.

Thoughts?

Comentarios (18)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 4 años

I think we need to see the style of fence , the area

• Chris
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I did post a picture of the fence in progress. Ideally the style of the first panel.

You can see the bottom rail needs raised 6” up off the ground.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 4 años

Sorry the pic popped up after my comment.

• Chris
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you

The biggest issue is the ground goes up and down for 90 feet. No way to smooth it out and don’t really want the fence stepping up and down.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    hace 4 años

Can you smooth it later simply by filling depressions? (Be careful not to make water pond.)

• Chris
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Would love to grade it out at some point but as a few quotes and they advised against trying to do It. We’re about 200 feet from a steep drop off on a mountain.

Trying to do the best with the given land.

• chiflipper
    hace 4 años

When the land "rolls" you will need to "rack" the fence. This applies to both pre-made and site-built fences. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/rack-prefab-fence-100646.html

• mindshift
    hace 4 años

If you don't want the fence to follow the ups and downs as in THIS photo, you will have to fill in the low spots, either with fill soil or treated lumber as in this Photo or this Photo 2.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    hace 4 años

Keep the top of the fence straight, fill in under the fence with pressure treated 2x lumber.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    hace 4 años

In the end, you want some kind of uniformity, either in the step up/down changes, or in the slop of the fence. You don't want the fence going up and down with every bump and depression.

• Chris
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

So you don’t think keeping the top of the fence level and stepping the bottom rail up for the remainder Is a good idea?

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    hace 4 años

Level could be OK. But I can't see the end result or the complete plan so can't say if it's the best way to go. I'm say don't make it go up and down and up and down. That would look not good.

• chiflipper
    hace 4 años

Gentle criticism. Stepping is reserved for the customer who desires privacy, it is useless for the purpose of containment / exclusion. A stepped fence is never "filled in" along the bottom (amateur). For the rare customer who wants containment and stepping, 8 foot tall panels are individually cut (along the bottom) to follow the grade. This type of installation requires skill (math and a circular saw), is time-consuming, and therefore costs more. The "finished height" of this install is determined by the degree of slope being fenced (hence the math skills). Ex-husband was Pro installer.

• Chris
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you for your information.

These are the two setups we were given to choose from. The installer suggests the top and use longer fence boards for the ditch area.

• chiflipper
    hace 4 años

Both installs are "correct", choose your personal preference. Visually, I like the one with the level top-line.

• PRO
    Geometra Design Ltd.
    hace 4 años

Hello there,

I am not much of a landscape expert, but given your slope, aesthetically I would keep the fence stepped rather than parallel with the ground. It will look at lot cleaner, and if you decide to hang anything in the future on the fence, it will look just perfect!

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    hace 4 años

On that last pic, I'm with you on the uniform top.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.