Houzz Logo Print
phunees

Help! Bahama shutter color looks horrible!

Sofia Shan
hace 4 años
última modificación:hace 4 años

At the tail end of my build and was really looking forward to seeing how the Bahama shutters would look. Originally I signed off on the color Iron Ore by Sherwin Williams. The corbels on the house are Iron Ore (as will be the front door eventually). My builder said since the shutters were aluminum he couldn't paint them Iron Ore because of something about "negative electrons" etc...So he had me pick from a deck of samples of just your typical black, bronze (looked brown), gray, green. He thought black would look best. I relayed my worry about it looking too stark but again they said it couldn't be painted. Well black it was and now they were recently installed. They look horrible and harsh especially comparing them to the iron ore color of the corbels (which are a bit dusty and need to be cleaned). I feel horrible and don't know what to do. Is this "negative electron" thing legit? What can I do??? Thanks for all your help!

Comentarios (15)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 4 años

I am not much help I think bahama shutters always look terrible and they block so much light inside. I am wondering if they are a necessity where you live? What is the reason for them?

• Sofia Shan
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

It's supposed to be British West Indies architecture and also hurricane protection

• sloyder
    hace 4 años

That's odd auto body shops paint aluminum all the time, probably should have taken it to them to match the color you wanted and paint.

• Barbara Davis
    hace 4 años

Beautiful house, remove the shutters. I bet that you can resell them.

• PRO
    Anna Rodé Designs, Inc.
    hace 4 años

Agreed🤦‍♀️

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

I don't think the color is bad at all. But I really don't like them on the windows. (perhaps just remove the upper 3 and leave the lower ones? or are all of the windows getting them? Must really cut down on the light in your house)

I'd remove them and cut your losses. but if you feel you must have them, they can be sprayed by anyone who powder coats metal (or, look into an anodized paint redo. that's what they do for aluminum.)

Aluminum surfaces have a layer of aluminum oxide that must be removed before powder coating will adhere to the aluminum. Aluminum is generally smooth and may be slightly roughened prior to powder coating. ... The abrasive material that has been used successfully is aluminum/magnesium silicate.

https://www.saf.com/how-to-specify/how-to-decide-between-anodizing-painting-and-powder-coating/

• cat_ky
    hace 4 años

Agree with Beth, the color isnt bad at all, it actually goes just fine. Its the shutters themselves. Are they really necessary where you live? I dont like them on the windows either.

• hazelcraddock
    hace 4 años

I was going to suggest that you open the shutters more fully as in the photo below. However, I got this off the internet "These shutters have been used predominantly in hurricane plagued areas and Caribbean homes in protection from the intense heat and allowing draughts to pass through a home. Aluminum shutters do not offer major wind protection and you can only open it partially or fully closed." If in your budget perhaps sell those on your house and replace with paintable wood shutters.

Modern-Coastal-Home-by-MHK-Architecture-and-Planning - Impressive Interior Desig · Más información

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 4 años

You really set the tone when you selected a dark roof for this home. Really black in a tropical climate??? what were you thinking??

I'm assuming code required you to have hurricane rated windows,...............so what is the purpose of having full height Bahama shutters? Replace them with shorter ones for decoration.

Here are some recent homes in my neighborhood that could provide some inspiration.

Sofia Shan agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Denita
    hace 4 años

@hazelcraddock - I would wager that the OP's shutters are up to the hurricane codes - if s/he is located in a hurricane area. I know that they are available to withstand winds up to 185 mph. If the OP doesn't like the color - then I agree, take them to a pro to get painted to match the Iron Ore.

However, before doing anything - get the landscaping in. Right now you are just finishing up the construction and without landscaping the house colors appear stark. With the right landscaping, it will change the entire tone of your home's appearance.

Sofia Shan agradeció a Denita
  • hazelcraddock
    hace 4 años

I didn't read it that way. It seemed to me that it said they were suitable for hurricanes when closed but not as good for non hurricane high winds when open and that is why they could only be partially opened - they only had two settings in the article. Wooden shutters were shown open to many different degrees. But you are probably correct as I don't live in the Caribbean and don't actually know.

• Denita
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

I'm in S Florida about 88 miles (oops, just a little further than I remembered!) as the crow flies from the Bahamas and we do have Bahama shutters available here as an option for hurricane protection. None of the shutters work if they are open (Bahama type, accordion type, panel type etc) except maybe impact windows for their rated strength. The good thing about Bahama shutters (full size to cover the window) is that they are very easy to close and only take a few minutes when a hurricane is on its way. The not so good thing is that it does reduce sunlight/visibility. I still don't know if the OP is in a hurricane zone or not. It may not be something she needs to worry about.

Sofia Shan agradeció a Denita
  • Christi Maude
    hace 2 años

I love the shutters. Gives it character. We used Dark clove for our color.

• Usuario de Houzz-187528210
    hace 2 años

I think you’ll adjust to it. After the landscaping is in if it’s that terrible reassess then... your house really is beautiful!!!

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.