Houzz Logo Print
wendy_cline2

Advice regarding payment to Contractor

Wendy Cline
hace 4 años

I had some words with a contractor mid-project due to the fact that he breached the contract by not completing on time (we hired in last August to complete by mid November). We agreed to part ways amicably but he was still insistent I owed him more $ even though he decided against pursuing it legally. I feel like I'm the kind of person who wants to be fair regardless. I am giving you a general scope and some pictures to see if anyone can help me determine if I truly owe him anything or if he was just angry about losing the job mid-stream. Here are some of the highlights; I just need a general ballpark idea of what this should cost with materials and labor (only what he did so far). I would rather get a mid-to-high estimation based on the fact that a contractor generally has an upcharge.

1. Sunroom size 16’ x 22’ ft

2. All windows installed and 2 are sliding glass on each side and you’ll see on the pic (of the side) there is a special cut window at the top under the roof on each side.

3. Concrete that was on existing patio had to be removed so that did require a special machine to break it all up and then new concrete was poured after footers were done

4. It was framed

5. He did a handrail inside because there was nothing along that area beside the basement steps…probably about 6 ft long by 3.5 ft high

6. Windows were installed but not yet flashed

7. Roof was 28 gauge…it was installed but not flashed (tied in from existing slate roof)

8. Even though the side pic you see siding on the outside, that was started by the new guy, so don’t count that into estimate

Comentarios (2)

• PRO
    Chalk Hill LLC
    hace 4 años

Costs are highly variable from site to site and region to region, so I don't think anyone can look at your images and approximate a fair value.

There are MANY things that cause delays in our industry (weather, supply chain, busy subcontractors, labor shortages, customer mind-changing, etc) but I would expect your contractor to relate these to you as the project advances.

A good contract would outline responsibilities resulting from delay, but good client-contractor communications best legalese when it comes to managing expectations.

It looks like most of the heavy lifting was done by your main contractor. Getting framed up and closed to the weather is at least 2/3 of the job, and even more if prior demolition was required.

Wendy Cline agradeció a Chalk Hill LLC
  • thinkdesignlive
    hace 4 años

There should be no gray area about this as the contract would have spelled out the payment structure for work completed.

Wendy Cline agradeció a thinkdesignlive
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.