Houzz Logo Print
motupeg

Need your advice on replacement blinds. Your help is appreciated.

motupeg
hace 4 años

I live in a townhouse built in 2007. It came with white wooden blinds for all windows and vertical blinds for the patio door. I need to replace the kitchen blinds as the windows a face west and the cords and blinds are not looking good due to the strong sun and heat. I hoped to choose something different than the white slats. I wondered about solar shades. I am cautious about white as there is an apartment building and parking lot next door and the blinds become very dirty if the window is open.
My dh thinks they should be the color of the walls or cabinets. The walls are Benjamin Moore Wind’s breath. The cabinets are maple. I believe that the granite is Uba Tuba verde.
Any suggestions are most appreciated.

Comentarios (13)

• motupeg
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

The first one was blurry.

• tsjmjh
    hace 4 años

How much room do you have on the left to stack curtain panels? An inexpensive way I handled a wall of windows with a slider with verticals was off white linen to-the-floor grommet panels with a nice rod. You can pull them to the left when not in use to block the sun (be sure to order those attachable rods to easily move the panels).

For the kitchen window I'd use an "airy" woven wood shade; something that complements the maple and your paint. I have those - Hunter Douglas - in a room with giant windows that's between the two rooms that I used the linen panels to replace the awful verticals. All are neutral and "go together." At least *I* think they do.

And I hope that made sense.

• motupeg
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you Tsjmjh. There is a fireplace there. I am attaching a picture. I am concerned about white linen due to the dirt from the parking lot on this side of my home.

• motupeg
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

The fireplace.

• tsjmjh
    hace 4 años

The panels don't have to be white; they could be any coordinating color or print. And it looks like you'd have room to pull them to the left side during the day. Otherwise you're looking at putting the top of a shade above the sliders or finding different verticals. I've had verticals with fabric inserts - way too expensive ! After that I'm out of ideas, lol.

• motupeg
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you tsjmjh. I’ll look at that. It would soften the room.

• PRO
    Finishing Touches
    hace 4 años

Here are a couple thoughts on window coverings to think about as you make a decision:

-Faux wood blinds come in cordless now and can be wiped down with water to keep clean.If you stay with a white color it will reflect more light into the space. If you go dark in color, then the light will be absorbed before it enters the room.

- Most Roller screen shades are made from fiberglass, vinyl, polyester and have a 3%-14% view through. You can also get a matching fabric in a gliding panel track system. Most can be washed down with soap and water. Because they are a screen, they do not offer privacy. You could stack them on your left wall.

- Another solution for a slider that some people don't think of is to put a horizontal rechargeable motorized roller shade across the top. This is nice solution if there is not a lot of space to have something hanging.

Good luck!

Sheri

• motupeg
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you finishing touches. Great information.

• motupeg
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I am about to sign for vertical solar sliding shades for the patio door and shade for the window. I have chosen Hunter Douglas in Striae Caramel. It matches the granite and picks up the color of the cabinets and walls. It has a 3% light through so in the sunlight the color of the shade is toned down. This is also a west window. I wondered if anyone had a comment on my choice before I go ahead with this purchase. It is on page 15. Sorrow I couldn't post a direct color. https://www.hunterdouglas.com/fabrics-materials/skyline-collections

Striae
    Caramel

• motupeg
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I do have a sample of the Striae barley (not the same color as I am choosing), but you can see the 3% light through.

• PRO
    Finishing Touches
    hace 4 años

The one thing with the screen shades is that you do want to look at the fabric in the glass during the day to see how the color of the screen shade transmits its color. Sometimes the color cast a different color than what you might expect. Note that 3% will allow people to see in the space at night when the lights are on in the room.

motupeg agradeció a Finishing Touches
  • motupeg
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Yes, I did look at the store’s sample in the window and I liked it. The dilemma for me is that the opaque shades are white, beige, tan and gray. The color is solid and look odd to me in the room with the different color I’d granite, cupboards and walls.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.