Houzz Logo Print
alex_gunawan74

Solar Aircon questions

A few years back there are some solar aircon (hybrid and not) available. Its not really growing and they don't really answer calls anymore. Wondering on anyone's thoughts on this.

I think its a great solution, cheaper than having to invest in battery system. Why isn't it taking off?

I googled and there should be a 3.5kw aircon for around $3k (with panels) without installation. Its expensive but nothing compared to $20k panel/battery system.

Anyone knows about this?

Comentarios (8)

• PRO
    3DA Design Drafting and 3D Visuals
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

no it doesn't.
    But the panels have option to be directed to supply to a solar battery when not in use.

• PRO
    Frank Ansell
    hace 4 años

A 3.5 kw air conditioner only needs about 1kw of energy to drive it, so not really enough to charge a battery. If the AC isn't running your house would just consume that extra solar energy.

• Kate
    hace 4 años

Frank is right. Researched this when I put in solar panels

• PRO
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thx Frank. I am just not sure whether to invest in a battery system or just install airconditioning first.

Ecoworld offers the aicon in 3.5, 5, and 12kw plus the solar panels. They supply it from qld but I need to get installer in Sydney. As you mentioned they have no battery.

I got a 1 kw solar system already at home.

Working from home, I need aircon only on the hottest days of summer. But our house is double brick, meaning heat transferred slowly. and it gets hotter inside at nights peaking at 12-1am before it cools again.
    Aircon will be on around those times at night so everyone can sleep.

• PRO
    Frank Ansell
    hace 4 años

I would just install the air conditioner that you need. You have to look at the overall cost vs return. For the cost of putting in batteries, the money you save takes about 10 years or more to pay back the investment, and the battery only lasts 10 years anyway.

Remember that your solar panels will generate electricity all day, every day and even if you don't use it you'll get a credit from your power company for every unit of electricity that you sell back to them.

You can always put in a battery later when the cost has come down.

• PRO
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you Frank

• PRO
    Frank Ansell
    hace 4 años

You're welcome. It's a common question that I get a lot from clients.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.