Houzz Logo Print
haley82

Cabinet color analysis paralysis

Emma Ann
hace 4 años

Hi all! I’m needing to make my final choice for my kitchen island color. I am having a heck of a time selecting either a paint color or stain color for the island. At this point I am about to throw in the towel and be boring and just go with white like the rest of the cabinets will be.

My new wood floors a neutral dark brown. They are white oak. Brand is Pravada Floors, Artistique in Francois color.

Cabinets will be white and I have tentatively picked out quartzite counters in Mont Blanc but I am flexible there.

I would love a wood stain on the island but don’t know what will look the best and I don’t want to make an expensive mistake. I’m not a huge fan of painting the island a gray color but if it will look the best, I will do it.

Here are pics of the floors from the Pravada site. Floors won’t be changed. I absolutely love the floors.

Our house is a Mediterranean style home for some context. Trying to stick with the theme of the bones of the house exterior and style.

Comentarios (72)

• Emma Ann
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I should add that the style I am going for is modern Mediterranean. Not the super ornate Mediterranean. :)

• PRO
    Jenni Leasia Interior Design
    hace 4 años

Stainless is timeless for your plumbing. You could do a pewter tone for your hardware.

• Theresa Janssen
    hace 4 años

based on your dark white oak floor and island I get the feeling the look you want is more sophisticated? could be wrong, but if that is the case in would not use black hardware as for me, I think it makes a space more casual feeling... the gold would bring more sophistication.... just showing two pics below one with black hardware and one with gold...to me the black hardware takes it to a more casual place and the gold takes it to a more sophisticated place.

Costa Mesa Industrial Farmhouse · Más información

Glasscock · Más información

• Emma Ann
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Theresa- you are spot on! I do like more of a sophisticated look! I agree the black does make it more of a casual feel.

• Emma Ann
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I’m dying over here trying to figure out hardware and faucet metals. I love the warm touch of gold but I bought a sample handle on gold and held it against my brown cabinet and I didn’t love it. It seemed like it got lost in the brown. Can I do chrome or brushed nickel cabinet hardware with gold sink faucets and gold in the lighting? Or would that be weird. My new fridge is stainless and I will have the wolf range in stainless with the red handles. Dishwasher and wine fridge and beverage fridge will be paneled.

• Emma Ann
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Oh and I will need a pot filler too.

• Theresa Janssen
    hace 4 años

absolutely you can do mixed metals... heres a couple that do that.

Chic in Menlo Park · Más información

• Toni Hamlett
    hace 4 años

Sure you can have a mix with the cabinet hardware matching the SS appliances. Good luck

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    hace 4 años

It really is individual taste.

I don't like mixing metals too much, unless you happen to have, say, light fixtures or a hood that does so and does it well (I have seen some attractive nickel with brass trim ones) so that all is pulled together. But, the pic above with the gold items then the stainless d/w just struck me as wrong.

I would have guessed that the warm brass (Is that the "gold" you mean?) would have been lovely with your island, giving it some warm light.

Try a polished nickel pull - polished because you will get more of a chic feel from the bright surface but it will still harmonize with the fridge and range.

• Emma Ann
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Hi all!!! Well the kitchen demo is complete and install has started. Check this out.... base cabinets went in and they don’t look like the sample door I approved. I’m so stressed. I am meeting with the cabinet maker tomorrow and am praying they make this right. The sample door they brought over and I approved is on the right and the installed ones on the left. They are wrong right? I approved sample is quarter sawn and the installed ones are not. I’m so stressed over this I can’t sleep.

• Emma Ann
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Does this happen a lot in kitchen remodel where the doors don’t come as expected? I’m so upset.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

H Rein,,,your sample door is Rift Sawn oak. The door they installed looks like a Flat or Plain sawn oak. they are very diff grain patterns.

White Oak will look Diff than Red Oak, so keep that in mind. (Red Oak has a more pronounced grain)

You said you specified Quarter Sawn? your pic is very blurry, so it's hard for me to see the grain pattern. can you put up a better pic?

here are examples of the 3 cuts

This top one is Rift, the one below is Quarter sawn.

If you ordered quarter sawn, should look like these (also know as Tiger Oak)

This one is Rift Sawn

Plain of Flat sawn will look like this. (basic oak cabs you used to see in the 90's)

• Emma Ann
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Cabinet maker is correcting the error, thank goodness!!

• Emma Ann
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Here is a progress pic of the kitchen. I really need some help with lights and barstools. The island will fit 5 stools. 3 across the back and one on each side. The existing light fixture is coming down. What lighting would you suggest. The island and the hood are not going to be centered as you can see.

Faucets and pot filler are chrome and hardware is stainless steel. Fridge is stainless and range is as well. Fridge is a subzero side by side and 48 inch Wolfe range.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 4 años

5 stools? how? I see 3, maybe 4 max, and the people who sit there better be super slim!

here's 4 counter stools and 3 pendants. (this is also off center of the stove)

Even this is very tight w/4. No way you're getting 5 and having people sit there. Look at chairs 1 and 4. imagine sitting there and trying to eat. look at how close your legs would be to the sides. now imagine lifting your arms to cut stuff on your plate. Heck, I fit two people at my island and trying to eat next to someone is horrible. I have to scoot to the very side. No way you're getting 5 people at your island. (unless they're 6 year olds)

Here are some pendant ideas and how they are hung

Here's 5 chairs and this island is almost twice as big as yours.

you could do two larger pendants like this

Or 3 smaller pendants

This is a good guide:

• Emma Ann
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Beth H- we have 5 stools there now and totally enough room. The island is even a few inches larger now with the remodel. The front side has 3 stools and then there is a place on each side of the island for the 4th and 5th. The island measures 6 feet 5 inches by 7ft 5 inches.

• Emma Ann
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Here is a pic of the island layout so you can see.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 4 años

ok. I thought they were all going in front.

however, seated at the island, there should be 28-30" of space between each stool or person.

So if your 6'5" is the stool side, that's about 2.5 stools. or just at 3 if it's the bigger side.

You should be fine. (as long as you aren't seating super big people!)

as for the pendants, do you know what type of light you want?

• Lidia
    hace 4 años

Can I be the first person to say, OMG that’s going to be a gorgeous kitchen?! Holy crap! You’re spending that kind of money...hire Beth H or a great pro to help you finish that spectacular kitchen!

• Emma Ann
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I don’t know what kind of lights I want. :/ I’m so lost there. Our kitchen table and chairs are the same as the attached pics and there isn’t a light above it because of the open concept layout of our house. Rectangle table with the low back chairs.

• Emma Ann
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

The 6.5 feet is the side with one stool. The 7.5 is the side with the 3 stools.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 4 años

then 3 stools on that side is just the right amount.

love your table

did you end up going w/the Mont Blanc?

as for lighting, do you want to stick the RH type of look (as w/their lights), something more modern, or something w/a bit of glam to it?

or, see if you like any of these
    (I loved this kitchen and used some of it for inspiration for my own redo. i got similar stools )

• Emma Ann
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I did end up going with the Mont Blanc. It gets installed on Friday and then for backsplash I am using Bedrosians Cloe in white. Behind the range they are laying the tile in a herringbone pattern and the rest of the kitchen will be the normal subway lay.

For the lights, I do prefer a more of a glam/fancy look. Where are the stools from in the first and third pics?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 4 años

oh I love Cloe w/the mont blanc. nice choice

the stools can be found here on Houzz. (or very similar)

• WestCoast Hopeful
    hace 4 años

Lovely kitchen. Will be stunning!!!

We have the pravada floors in a white oak finish. I adore them. They are very sensitive to humidity changes FYI. Make sure you are between 35-55% inside consistently or you will notice problems sadly.

• Emma Ann
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

A S- what problems did you see with humidity?

• WestCoast Hopeful
    hace 4 años

The boards will expand and contract if humidity not consistent. So the spaces between them become more visible etc. This is ours

• Emma Ann
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Beautiful!! Yours are so pretty!!! We just had the flooring installed in the upper level of our house a few weeks ago. I actually just noticed the spaces between boards the other day that I never saw before. It’s warming up here now and less rain....wonder if that is why I saw the spaces now.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    hace 4 años

So I looked on their website at images and many look like ours. I had our builder out, the original guy who installed the floors, and the sales person. No one seemed really all that worried and just said run a humidifier in winter and watch the humidity. But our house seems to be hovering around 32% currently which is too low. In winter it was 28%. We live in Vancouver and were shocked there would be such low humidity. So it’s a work in progress to get us to a good consistent level

• Emma Ann
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Our humidity is running right now 45-48% in our house. I’m curious what it was when we installed originally since it was really cold and no rain at the time.

• Emma Ann
    Autor original
    hace 4 años
  • Emma Ann
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Here is a pic.

• felizlady
    hace 4 años

Looking forward to seeing the finished kitchen!

• WestCoast Hopeful
    hace 4 años

I don’t love them with the stained island and dark floors...

• Emma Ann
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Here are the counters installed. What do you think of the Bedrosians Cloe in white with it? I lined them up on the far wall to see what it would look like? Do you think I should go with more of a plain white with no variation?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 4 años

love the tile. do it in a stacked layout (vertical) either on top of each other, or off-set.

or maybe a 90 degree herringbone?

• Emma Ann
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Progress. Still need to find lights for over the island. Ignore the wood on the island. All of that is being changed out next week.

• Emma Ann
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Progress

• Emma Ann
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

My son set his sippy cup with ice water down on our new counters that have been sealed by the fabricator. His cup had condensation on the outside and sat on the counter for maybe 20 minutes before I poured it out. Is this normal for quartzite to leave water rings???

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

are you sure it was sealed? if so, it shouldn't absorb water. What did the fabricator use? and are you sure?

what happens if take some water droplets and sprinkle them on the counter? do they sit or do they absorb? if the latter, it's not sealed

• Emma Ann
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Water spots sit and don’t seem to absorb. I don’t know the exact sealer they used but I triple confirmed like a crazy woman with the contractor and then with the installers/fabricators that they were sealed. They told me then what kind of sealer they use and that I basically would never have an issue. I sent the pic to my contractor and asked that he contact the fabricator. 😫😫😫

• Emma Ann
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Here is an updated picture of the progress too.

• Emma Ann
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Hi all! So kitchen wrapped up. Here is the finished product. Painting starts this week for all the walls, ceilings, and baseboards/trim. I’m in desperate need for ideas for lighting over the kitchen island and also counter stools. Now that you can see the finished look, what would you suggest?

• WestCoast Hopeful
    hace 3 años

Lovely

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 3 años

Rein, that looks great. did you go w/shadebox tile or is that Cloe? very nice.

do you want stools that match the hardware? (is it bronze/gold or silver?)

and I only see one hole for the island light. (or are the other two avail? can't tell if those are other recessed lights) what do you want to use for lighting? lantern style? glass? other?

I really like the Hood pendant. and it comes in diff metals and glass options

• Emma Ann
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

The faucets are chrome and the cabinet hardware is stainless steel. Our interior door handles are all flat black.

The tile is the Cloe in white. :)

There is an option for 3 pendants or 1 larger light. The holes aren’t spaced right to do two. If I had to pick 1 large light over 3 small pendants, I would prefer one large light. I honestly don’t have a preference on style... I’m literally lost on that. Our other lights in entry and formal dining room are the RH glass fringe chandeliers in black. You don’t see those rooms when in the kitchen but wanted to share in case that helps.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 3 años

well I posted 7 diff styles, above. no opinion? can't suggest anything if i have no idea where you stand.

If you want one light, you could do something like this in the nickel or the black

3 other options.

I like these for your island

• Emma Ann
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

I definitely keep looking back at these lights that you suggested.

• Emma Ann
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

I also love the stools you posted. #1 and #3 are my favorite. Where did you find those?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 3 años

I like those lights. the gray stool is Serena/Lily Balboa, I believe. (and if you're on a budget, you won't like them! lol) I think Houzz has some knock-offs tho.

Klaus Rattan Bar Stool · Más información

Amalfi Counter Stool · Más información

https://www.houzz.com/products/amalfi-counter-stool-prvw-vr~137571487

The 3rd ones not sure, but Houzz has tons that are similar. Let me know if you want to order from houzz and I may be able to get you a small discount. (if they're still allowing it)

these come in 8 colors/metal options

Fuji Stacker Counter Stool, Set of 2, Antique/White PU · Más información

https://www.houzz.com/products/lumisource-fuji-counter-stool-set-of-2-white-pu-antique-frame-prvw-vr~114871823

Colter Leather Stool, White, Counter Height · Más información

https://www.houzz.com/products/colter-leather-stool-white-counter-height-prvw-vr~33826816

Rattan Bistro Bar Stool, Antique Brown with Black/White Weave, Counter Stool · Más información

Savoy House 7-460-2-109 Banbury - Two Light Pendant · Más información

Warehouse of Tiffany's RL8168PN Permin 16", 3 Light, Indoor, Clear Finish · Más información

15In. Meridian Globe Pnd-Pn · Más información

https://www.houzz.com/products/15-meridian-globe-pendant-polished-nickel-prvw-vr~147844559

Savoy 7-203-2-109, Lilly 2 Light Polished Nickel Pendant · Más información

Savoy House 7-3300-1-109 Glass Orb - One Light Pendant · Más información

Trans Globe Lighting, Lacey 49" Pendant, Polished Chrome · Más información

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.