Houzz Logo Print
lanikaicoconut

Please help me choose between a cream, wood or green kitchen

lanikaicoconut
hace 4 años
última modificación:hace 4 años

Hi. I know my question is way out there. But I subscribe to feng shui and my consultant told me I should have my kitchen in earth element (brown, cream) or wood element (wood, green). I know some of you will probably think I should do what I like. But I've used him for many years and trust him as I've noticed shifts after implementing his suggestions.

My dining room is currently a bit more on the glam side. So are the other public rooms in my apartment (combo of art deco/hollywood regency). My dining room is currently white but I will be painting it a gray with a greenish undertone. As my dining room and kitchen are connected which kitchen cabinets do you think will coordinate best? I also wanted to mention sunlight is very limited in the dining room and kitchen. If feng shui wasn't a consideration I would love to do white cabinets with carrara marble -- or at least a quartz that kind of resembles it (especially since my dining room table is in carrara) with brass hardware.

1. Cream kitchen -- would think that would be the easiest to do; but wary about the warmth in the kitchen clashing with the cooler tones of the dining room.

2. Wood Kitchen -- would want a cooler-toned wood but concerned that it may look too rustic compared to the rest of my apartment

3. Green Kitchen -- if I had the space would like to do emerald green or kelly green cabinets. I have an emerald green sofa in the dining room to help tie it in. But it may be too oppressive as I have a relatively small galley kitchen in NYC (big for NYC but small for most of the US). Something like a mint green probably would be more appropriate.

Any thoughts? I've been going back and forth between different options and making myself a bit nuts!

Comentarios (39)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 4 años

I have always believed natural stone is an earth element so I would do a white kitchen and carrara marble counters and IMO a green kitchen would not suit your decor in the DR .Do not choose wall color yet though.

Marble, granite, and other types of natural stone are considered earth elements. Under feng shui practices, natural stone represents stability, trust, and strength. In bathrooms, which have an overpowering water element, stone can be used to bring harmony and serenity.Feb 2, 2018

lanikaicoconut agradeció a Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Shannon_WI
    hace 4 años

I agree with Patricia Colwell that green does not go with the rest of your home that you pictured. Brown is too dark. It appears your kitchen does not have natural light - from the 2 small pics you've provided. Because of that, I recommend cream cabinets.

While I love the look of marble that Patricia suggested, that is a choice that the owner has to go for with eyes wide open, since marble etches, stains and forms a patina. Many people like that, and view it as either a badge of honor of a well-used kitchen, or a shrug and doesn't matter to them. Other people want their counters to stay looking pristine. If you are the latter, I suggest granite. In particular, a granite like Alaska White. It is a light/white background, with beautiful patterning of taupes, grays and black. And it is low-maintenance and will not etch.

lanikaicoconut agradeció a Shannon_WI
  • auntthelma
    hace 4 años

What about cream cabinets, a marble look counter but in browns and creams instead of greys, and paint the walls emerald green?

I had a and a grass green dining room with wood paneling. Loved it. But your kitchen is small and dark, so the creams are probably the best idea.

lanikaicoconut agradeció a auntthelma
  • felizlady
    hace 4 años

Mint green would be a bit wimpy IMO. My kitchen is white cab’s, real oak flooring, granite counters (white with gray, 2 greens in veining and a few black inclusions). I painted the walls Lazy Caterpillar by DunnEdwards to pick up the lighter green. The adjacent powder room and walk-in pantry are green, too. Love it!

lanikaicoconut agradeció a felizlady
  • PRO
    User
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

This suggestion may be too on trend but what about emerald green lowers, white uppers with carerra marble counters? This would appease the feng shui of the space while giving you your "dream kitchen" with marble and white.

lanikaicoconut agradeció a User
  • lanikaicoconut
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you to all for responding! Unfortunately my feng shui guy has told me that white marble (while a stone) falls within the metal element. I know there are many different theories of feng shui. I thought it would have been "earth" as well!

It's interesting that you think that the green will not work. I thought having a green sofa and green artwork and all those plants would help to tie it in.

Sigh -- I do get envious when I see pictures of these large kitchens on this site. I know my kitchen is small and dark. So I'm very limited with what I can do. Glo, I was thinking about doing the two-toned cabinet thing with green lowers and white uppers. While it is not "perfect" for my feng shui wise, when you've got a small and dim kitchen you need to make compromises. And I've thought that the cream would be the easiest to implement. I'm still concerned of the clashing that will go on between the kitchen and living room. But perhaps I just need to treat the kitchen as a totally separate entity.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    hace 4 años

The most important words in your post are "my kitchen is small and dark". Any color that does not reflect light will keep the space small and dark. Bright colors not only reflect more light but make a space feel larger. For me this would be far more important than any feng shui considerations.

lanikaicoconut agradeció a RappArchitecture
  • lanikaicoconut
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I really appreciate everybody's thoughts and suggestions. I took all of those pictures during the evening. When I am in the dining room and kitchen now I realize it's not as dark as it has appeared in the pictures I sent. I didn't want to misrepresent my place. My kitchen and dining is still relatively dark and small compared to a lot of places but it isn't like a bear cave. It does face a beige brick wall but light does get through. I've enclosed some pictures during the day to see if you had any more thoughts. Many thanks.

• drblount10
    hace 4 años

Based on what I have read about feng shui and after seeing your kitchen: The elements have a productive and a destructive cycle. Earth feeds metal (metal grows from the earth). Metal cuts wood like an ax. Fire destroys metal. Your kitchen is very metallic with the white and stainless. But the stove heat counts as fire so you may only need a few tweaks.

You have an earth tone countertop. Just painting your walls a pale tan will add balance with a strong earth element--or another earth tone you like. Pops of red accessories will add fire to "melt" the metal if you like red.

If you are remodeling, wood cabinets will add a strong wood element. That is your choice because your existing cabinets are nice. You could also paint the cabinets with an earth tone (tan, mushroom, beige) that will blend with your counter.

I would search "feng shui a white kitchen" and "feng shui fixes." A lot of balance can be achieved with art, plants, and accessories where you may not need a lot of work just for feng shui. Keep us posted on how this goes.

lanikaicoconut agradeció a drblount10
  • drblount10
    hace 4 años

It's me again, sorry...just thought of a couple more things. Pantry: what about a wood or painted wood closet solution to replace your wire unit? Dining room: I see a lot of white in there, what did your consultant say about the dining room?

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    hace 4 años

I don't think that mint green would work either, but I suspect that there is a green out there that is more related to the green of your upholstery but perhaps not as deep.

lanikaicoconut agradeció a raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • lanikaicoconut
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Drblount10, my feng shui guy would adore you! He's all about the feng shui. He practices classical flying stars feng shui and says that I do need earth and wood according to where my kitchen is in relation to my apartment. Yes, he did say my kitchen is too metal and not appropriate. He loves my countertop and backsplash as it's earth. I have to say he doesn't care too much about aesthetics and it's always a tug of war between us when it comes to me implementing some of his recommendations.

Unfortunately the backsplash and countertop is something I cannot live with. I've intensely disliked it for over four years (and it hasn't gotten any better over time). Currently I have a bunch of plants to introduce more wood element into the kitchen.

Originally I had planned to just change the countertops and backsplash. But I would like to make more efficient use of my space and decided to just redo the whole kitchen. I may move my fridge to the far end of my kitchen for better feng shui (to remove the metal/water element from my stove) as that isn't ideal according to him. While wood cabinets work feng shui wise, I just don't think it would tie into the rest of my apartment. And, yes, I do intend on getting rid of the metal shelf and putting in a lower cabinet. I wouldn't do a full floor-to-ceiling thing as there's a window on the left side of the "pantry."

My dining room is currently painted in an off-white (maybe Benjamin Moore's dove white). He would like it to be gray or blue. As I have a lot of blue rooms in my apartment I'm leaning towards a gray in the dining room.

• partim
    hace 4 años
    lanikaicoconut agradeció a partim
  • H D
    hace 4 años

The gray green from ikea is pretty! I was thinking a soft sage green would be nice.

lanikaicoconut agradeció a H D
  • drblount10
    hace 4 años

😊 on the Feng Shui guy. I have also used a Feng Shui consultant. It really can help you jump start some things in your life.

Hey! Tedbixby just posted a pic of a cream kitchen with a green backsplash! What about this? So...the common motif between your new kitchen and eclectic dining room can be (pops of) green.

In your dining room, I would love to see the gray paint color. Meanwhile you can try creating vignettes to carry pops of green throughout: something green on the table like a platter, 1 bamboo, vases, not too high. You could also move both bamboo to the table and display the Zen fountain on the buffet with Buddha. Your red wall hanging can go over your Asian style buffet to echo the red runner.

There is a tall dark cabinet? unsure what it is but placement is OK if it must stay minus the lamp. You could even get an Oriental rug containing red and green.

I just saw a large Indian piece on the pass through wall. What about this: the buffet to this wall with the red wall hanging , fountain, and Buddha. Then your green wall art and Indian piece side by side on the opposite wall to set off the table?

Are you feeling the joy yet? The key to getting the kitchen you want may start with restyling your dining room. Keep us updated as you go, I would love to see what you do with it!

🍱🤸🍵🐼....ommm...

• tedbixby
    hace 4 años

Fitler Square Trinity · Más información

• PRO
    User
    hace 4 años

^^wow, this is gorgeous!!

lanikaicoconut agradeció a User
  • tedbixby
    hace 4 años

And see it doesn't have to be white and gray to be "timeless and neutral."

lanikaicoconut agradeció a tedbixby
  • thinkdesignlive
    hace 4 años

As much as I thought I was on board with Glo’s suggestion I have to say I don’t like any white marble look counters for you when I think of your gorgeous Saarinen dining table. Swoon. Maybe a green marble counter? What will your floors be - parquet to match dining?

lanikaicoconut agradeció a thinkdesignlive
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    hace 4 años

There are several green and green-gray granites and soapstones to use for counters, as another option. I like the look of the light cabinets with green backsplash also.

lanikaicoconut agradeció a raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • Laurelin Walker
    hace 4 años

One more feng shui note, the wood element is supported by the water element, and those colors are blues and black. In my opinion, black base cabinets and white marble kitchen would fit right in with your style, and help enhance the wood element.

lanikaicoconut agradeció a Laurelin Walker
  • nosoccermom
    hace 4 años

haven't read all the responses, but why would green not work?

North Seattle Guest House · Más información

More pics here: https://hub.moderaneedham.com/domino-rss-2-0/the-8-paint-colors-featured-in-our-favorite-green-kitchens-2

lanikaicoconut agradeció a nosoccermom
  • drblount10
    hace 4 años

I like the wood one that Ted Bixby found previously. Lauren you are right about water element. Black cabinets or pops of black or blue can build the wood element. Found these. Are you leaning toward a cabinet color yet?

Saunders Village 2.0 · Más información

Boston Kitchen Renovation · Más información

Byron Bay Hinterland Kitchen · Más información

Aspen Creek Residence · Más información

1940's Modern - College Hill Renovation · Más información

• drblount10
    hace 4 años

(That is, Ms. Coconut, are you leaning toward a cabinet color yet?)

• Dianne Leloudis
    hace 4 años

What is your current granite?

• lanikaicoconut
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Hi all! Sorry for the delay in responding. I got caught up with work (after all, gotta pay for these renos somehow) and had another visit with my feng shui guy.

Thanks to all for the input and recommendations. After talking to my feng shui guy again, he said that the wood element is the #1 choice for my kitchen. If I do wood or green cabinets I can even get away with using more of a marble countertop/backsplash. Cream is OK but not ideal for my kitchen even if I use a brown countertop and backsplash. He also recommended shifting some things around so that the stove and microwave will be in their own little space, away from the water elements such as the fridge, sink and dishwasher. Laurelin, while water will feed wood, it will counteract the fire in the kitchen (which is responsible for the energy and health of people in my home). He says wood is the best element to use to stoke the fire. However, I need to be judicious of how much fire element I use in in the kitchen directly (like using red and orange colors) as it will be too much and can lead to problems. Now, this is only for my kitchen -- other people may have different arrangements. My friends who also use my feng shui guy were told that white, gray and blue worked best in their kitchen. If only I could have their kitchen -- would love to do a white and blue kitchen!

With all of the pics that you guys had sent, I started envisioning a cream kitchen with some gray accents (with colors carefully chosen to undertones don't clash) to tie into the dining room. However, after my most recent feng shui guy's visit I think that a light green cabinet will be best. Something along the lines of this:

Nosoccermom, while the picture you provided is stunning, I think a bolder green cabinet is better suited for a kitchen that has minimal upper cabinets (or one that is huge and light-filled). I think bold green cabinets may be too much for my small and relatively dark kitchen. As I've got a small kitchen I really need all the storage space I can get and need to have upper cabinets. Partim, the gray-green color from Ikea is great but probably needs to be a bit lightened for my space.

I'd probably do a carrara-like quartz or maybe even the Azerocare treated carrara marble I've been reading about for the counters. I fell in love with these backsplash tiles:

Topped with some brass hardware I think it could work.

Drblount10, unfortunately my feng shui guy said that the fountain needs to stay where it is to active the energy in the dining room. He did say the location of the fountain will shift in 4 years (the next cycle) and will be moved closer to the area you are suggesting! The tall dark cabinet is actually my husband's wine fridge. It's the only place we could find for it -- we do live in a NYC apartment after all. Sometimes we end up sticking things wherever we can find the space! I wouldn't be able to move the buffet to the Balinese painting because I've got bookshelves there and wouldn't be able to access them. However, I took your advice and moved the orange wall hanging over the buffet. I think it looks good!

Dianne my current granite is this brown speckly thing that was already installed when I moved here. There must have been a sale on this granite because the other sponsor apartment (sponsor apartments are a NYC coop thing) also had it as well. My neighbor in the other sponsor apartment wants to change it as he also cannot live with it anymore.

• drblount10
    hace 4 años

Thanks for the reply Ms. Coconut! Lighter green cabinets with that backsplash will look wonderful! No worries on the dining room, and of course the wine fridge. Maybe the kitchen designer you get can incorporate it somewhere? Pale green cabinets with white and satin brass hardware is very current and a great look. I am glad we could help you pick something you will like! Keep us posted. :)

• tedbixby
    hace 4 años

Do you know the name and source for that backsplash you are considering?

• lanikaicoconut
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Drblount10, I thought I had a relatively large space for NYC. But sometimes I do find myself thinking I wouldn't mind an extra 100 square feet or so. That wine fridge is quite large in depth. Unfortunately I don't think there's any room for it in the kitchen. I've also considered the living room and foyer as well. I'll think about it some more.

Tedbixby, the link to the tiles is here. I should warn you it is in the pricey side though. One of the advantages of having a small kitchen is that you don't need to buy as much tile!

https://www.tileshop.com/products/moderne-deco-stone-mosaic-tile-616041

• tedbixby
    hace 4 años

Thank you.

• drblount10
    hace 4 años

Hello Ms. Coconut, hope you and your family are well. Any updates on the kitchen?

• lanikaicoconut
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Hi Drblount10! Sorry but I just saw this. OMG, you'd think I'd have a new kitchen by now but I've been so indecisive about everything. I've tried different samplize swatches of all different types of colors. My feng shui guy said I should be happy with my kitchen. I haven't found a green that I've loved. The closest is Benjamin Moore's Stolen Moments. And he's kind of on the fence as to whether that's green enough.

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/color-overview/find-your-color/color/477/stolen-moments?color=477

So I'm thinking of white cabinets, with a honed carrara marble counter and backsplash (https://www.tileshop.com/products/moderne-deco-stone-mosaic-tile-616041) with green kitchen appliances (oven, fridge, dishwasher). I had to get a new fridge last year because my other one broke down. I purchased a stainless Sub-Zero. I was thinking about painting that green and would get a bluestar oven in green and a green panel for my dishwasher (which I intend on replacing). I'm torn between two greens:

RAL 6001

RAL 6017

And I would have a bunch of plants around. I realized that I could never do cream kitchen cabinets because the trim around my entire apartment is painted a white with blue-undertone. It would not be fun to re-paint all the trim in my entire apartment.

And I do plan on a gray for the dining room -- not so sure whether a gray with a blue undertone or a gray with a violet undertone would be better.

I think my husband is tired of my indecision. He's tired of paint swatches and countertop and tile samples taped to the wall. It's funny -- for my friends I'm really quick and finding the right paint colors and furnishings for them. It helps that I know them very well -- so I won't be as good as picking stuff out for people on houzz. But it's a lot more difficult doing this for myself.

• drblount10
    hace 2 años

Hello, thanks for the update! I share your issue--it is hard for me to decorate my own space. A white kitchen is trendy now but is always timeless. Not sure about green appliances, but I know green cabinets are now a trend since 2020. Keep us posted!

• RedRyder
    hace 2 años

I am not an expert on feng shui but I have a creamy colored kitchen with a grey-green (granite) countertop. My wall paint is PPG Frivolous Folly. It all feels soft and inviting and doesn’t scream “green” at all.
    I think you could use a soft green on your cabinets (BM Quiet Moments is stunning).
    Choosing every single piece of the puzzle for a kitchen is not easy. I hope this helps you a bit.
    (My granite is Typhoon Green.)

• C B
    el último año

Lanikaicoconut any updates on the kitchen? I too have a small kitchen and find myself in a similar dilemma… specifically finding a light green cabinets that are not custom color. I keen trying to talk myself into a light maple and then use paint and backsplash for my ‘green’ but I am not inspired by the all wood kitchens, which is ironic as my golden oak cabinets have never bothered me (but the kitchen payout is changing so the cabinets must change). Comments above noting that you should love your space was good to remind me that if I’m talking myself into something it’s probably not a good fit. Hope you’re having better luck!

• lanikaicoconut
    Autor original
    el último año

Ugh, I'm running into building issues. I've actually received the go-ahead to install ventilation under certain conditions but have been on hold for a few months as they figure out what the conditions are.

You definitely need to love your space. The positive thing is that I think I've reached a decision on the colors. Emerald green bottom cabinets with a green paneled dishwasher and emerald green stove with white uppers that match the trim in my apartment. Having green upper and lower cabinets will seem too heavy for my small space. I've actually painted poster boards in emerald green and attached it to my lower cabinets to see if I like it. As long as I keep the uppers, backsplash and countertop white (ish) I think it won't be too oppressive. Maybe you can try painting some poster boards in different colors and "try" it out in your kitchen.

• Randi Holland
    el último año

just a thought you say you like Feng Shui: flow. To me, that means you'll need to use colors rhat don't break ip your flow ESPECIALLY in any room. If you keep your brown furniture in your living room, to get flow you may want a brown tone so you don't have blocks of different colors around the room Also, Feng Shui suggests airy. Consider putting your grey green on the floor: natural and grounded.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.