Houzz Logo Print
rebeccajharlan

Help with an orange brown kitchen

Rebecca
hace 4 años

I am looking to freshen up this kitchen while temporarily keeping the floor and coubter top. I really hate the counter which is peach, orange, with grey and a few black viens. Any help with colors for cabinets and backsplash would appreciated. I was thinking z warm white a light grey glass subway. with the orange counter though Im afraid it will look terrible after the refresh. Help please...

Comentarios (39)

• Rebecca
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

• M Miller
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

I am sorry, but I think if you are going to replace the backsplash, you should replace the counter too (that you said you hate). Those two elements are so tied together. I would choose a counter you love, and then find a backsplash to go with it. Remember, in kitchen design, the backsplash is chosen last.

I do not think you should replace the cabinets, unless you are looking to re-do the entire kitchen. It doesn’t make sense to replace the cabinets and backsplash, and leave the counters as is. If you are thinking about painting or refacing, with that many linear feet of cabinets it will be so costly, you may as well not do that and wait until you can afford full replacement. Plus, your cabinets look REALLY nice. I’d leave them alone. People would love to have the cabinets that you have. Just re-do the counters and backsplash.

Rebecca agradeció a M Miller
  • User
    hace 4 años

No gray. Change the backsplash to a lighter color, improve lighting, have a glass of wine, and relax. You may be bored with your kitchen, but it's a lovely kitchen nonetheless. Take the money and go on a vacation. Invest in wonderful memories instead of stuff.

Rebecca agradeció a User
  • suedonim75
    hace 4 años

I really can't see gray or white working with that countertop.

Rebecca agradeció a suedonim75
  • Rebecca
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you everyone. Sounds like the general theme is dont paint the cabinets.- I was thinking if I painted them a warm white the kitchen would brighten up. (I agree they are really nice but its looks all orange/brown and dark most of the time-even though I finally got this lighter picture). I appreciate the counter/backsplash idea vs paint the cabinets.

• PRO
    User
    hace 4 años

You need to be cognizant of tones. Right now your kitchen has very warm tones. So, your new backsplash needs to be warm and not cool, like the light grey tile you've chosen. It would look very out of place with the rest of the kitchen. If you are wanting a subway tile I would look for a warm white tile like this:

OR something lighter

• Rebecca
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you. Any idea how to move away from the browns? If I leave the cabinets cherry, warmer white backsplash and do what with the counters??

• PRO
    User
    hace 4 años

I honestly don't think a "warm white" will read as "brown" if that's what you're worried about. The tones of colors are so subtle but make a big difference for cohesiveness.

Are you implying that you are open to changing your countertops? If so, I think that will give you a bit more flexibility for a backsplash. However, I still strongly suggest taking a cabinet door and a sample of your floor with you when you select a new counter and backsplash.

Hope that makes sense and helps!

cool counter + backsplash:

warm counter + backsplash:

Rebecca agradeció a User
  • stillpitpat
    hace 4 años

Warm white backsplash, and maybe a colorful rug. Just removing those brown diamonds in the backsplash will help a lot. And maybe cooler lighting? You could try 3500K or 4000K bulbs.

Rebecca agradeció a stillpitpat
  • tedbixby
    hace 4 años

" while temporarily keeping the floor and coubter top " Do you have plans of changing these out in the next couple of yrs since you say "temporarily."

• PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    hace 4 años

Take a look at this thread of an updated cherry kitchen you will find helpful.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/4095507/advice-for-cherry-wood-kitchen-cabinets-wood-flooring

One of the drawbacks with HGTV and design trends in general is that they assume everyone has thousands of dollars to spend every few years to update a major area of the house such as a kitchen and bath to keep up with the trend.

How can they possibly expect that when an average kitchen renovation is upwards of 75+k.

How about tile like this?

It's light and warm to stick with the tones of the kitchen? It will update the look and brighten the area.

https://tilebar.com/montauk-sand-dune-2x8-ceramic-wall-tile.html

There's plenty of options in which you can use quartz marble look counters that have warm tones in them to update the kitchen without resorting to the greys.

• Also please update the lighting you want to remove the yellow tones and introduce more of a daylight as per below.

Rebecca agradeció a Filipe Custom Woodwork
  • Diane Meyers
    hace 4 años

In addition to changing the backsplash & counters (as discussed above) and adding a rug (to tone down the flooring) and updated window treatments, I would also change out the cabinetry hardware - that will make a huge difference for little cost.

Rebecca agradeció a Diane Meyers
  • birdie234
    hace 4 años

If those are solid wood floors, maybe you can refinish them to be lighter and more neutral than what you have now.

Rebecca agradeció a birdie234
  • mark_rachel
    hace 4 años

I didn't read the comments, but gray does NOT belong in this kitchen. Get a mono-tone creamy off white tile for the backplash & paint a very similar color. Changing your lighting will really help too.

Rebecca agradeció a mark_rachel
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    hace 4 años

That is a lot of wood tone! Will make one suggestion - add some glass to a couple of your cabinet doors. Am finding that gives more visual depth to the cabinetry. Good luck!

Rebecca agradeció a Norwood Architects
  • blfenton
    hace 4 años

The floors and cabinets flow well together and seem to be in pretty good condition. You also have a nice floorplan. If, with these couple of changes that you want to make you plan on keeping the kitchen and doing nothing more, then I would replace the counter and the backsplash.

If you plan on redoing the ktichen in the next 3 or 4 years then I would do nothing and save my money.

The counter reads orange and the floor reads red (for me anyway) and so appear to be fighting. I like the floor and cabinets better than the counter so I would replace it.

If you replace the counter you could get rid of that funny angle to it and give yourself some extra space in the eating area.

Rebecca agradeció a blfenton
  • flopsycat1
    hace 4 años

What color are the walls in the kitchen and eating area? Lavender? Grey? I can’t really tell on my screen. Are you considering repainting? Agree, new backsplash , and no grey, would make a big difference.

Rebecca agradeció a flopsycat1
  • athomeeileen
    hace 4 años

I think you need more lights. A chandelier over the table and some more recessed lights. The counters and backsplash don't bother me but if you're trying to look more current you could replace those with something light but warm. No gray in this kitchen.

Rebecca agradeció a athomeeileen
  • amandaf24
    hace 4 años

for a warmer creamy color on cabinets try sherwin Williams Creamy and accessible beige. You need a creamy color there but it can’t real too yellow so definitely get some large poster boards and paint them First. We have similar kitchens although I have tile floors.

Rebecca agradeció a amandaf24
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    hace 4 años

It is so hard to tell from photos on a computer, but your 5th and 6th photos on my computer seem to show a significant color (undertone) mismatch between the backsplash, wall paint and the counter. The backsplash and wall look to have strong pinkish grayish tone, while the counters are predominantly golden (even if they so have some pink to them, which I can't see).

If my monitor isn't lying to me, then you need to focus on finding a paint color as well as a tile that are in the correct undertone family.

Grey would not be a good choice IMO. At all. Warm whites would be safe, but it is likely possible to find warm blues and greens that would work - it will take some effort, though.

You have great cabinets so don't paint them! And I don't think the floor is really a problem either.

If you want to get a better idea of what a particular color will look like, you can either paint the existing tile, or, once they are removed and the walls are cleaned up, paint some sheets of cardboard/poster board cut to fit the backsplash area and set them in place. It is best to try to pick a new color after the old color is removed or covered (this goes for the walls, too) because the old color will influence your perception of the color you are trying out.

If you have the yellower color temp bulbs in your lighting, do switch them out for at least 3000k - I wouldn't go higher than 4000k though - that starts looking too blue and cold to me.

Rebecca agradeció a raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 4 años

those cabs are very nice. changing them to gray would be a huge mistake, as previously stated.

And, do you have any idea what it would cost to get those done? prob in the 6-8K range. For that price you could get a brand new countertop and backsplash in a whiter shade, and solve your problem. That's a whole lot of golds/red/orange.... remove the two middle issues, replace w/cooler whites.

also, for now, try to change the light bulbs to 4000K.

bring in a natural jute rug to throw down in the middle of the wood floor to also break up the reds/yellows.

look at these pics w/white countertops and splashes.

doing the counters/splash will be night and day. (and your wall color)

BTW, soapstone looks beautiful with cherry

if you really must paint, you could do two tone cabs and just paint the fridge side cabinets.

although I did find one w/gray cabinets on the side.

Rebecca agradeció a Beth H. :
  • PRO
    Stull & Stull
    hace 4 años

please do not paint your cabinets! anything aside from a professional sprayed finish will just not hold up and not look the quality close up that you have now. sometimes pictures of painted cabinets look great but in reality close up if not done professionally they look terrible! your cabinets are beautiful.

I agree with the other commenters who have suggested updating your light bulbs, you will be amazed how changing the color spectrum of the bulbs will change the look of the space. adding a cooler tone bulb will balance the warm tones in your space.

install an ivory or beige backsplash but stay away from the boring plain subway tile and use arabesque shape or something with visual interest. add a rug to the space to break up the wood and add brightness. under cabinet lighting would also help but there again, check the color tone of the lighting to make sure they are not yellow.

if it is in your budget to replace your countertop then that should be your first step but sometimes unfortunately those purchases have to be budgeted for and have to wait.

Rebecca agradeció a Stull & Stull
  • partim
    hace 4 años

@itsourcasa it looks like Tony's post got deleted. It's the same guy, and you're right that he hasn't been around for awhile. He dislikes painted wood, so he would not have liked the OP's idea. The other day he complemented someone whose house, like his, had a larger lot because they had left "the garbage city" and I thought "He's back!" because he often uses the word garbage. Some people sure have a distinctive voice online.

Rebecca agradeció a partim
  • RedRyder
    hace 4 años

Have you decided to change the countertop and backsplash? It would be the best combination of change to try and tone down the “Orange” feel. And absolutely change your light bulbs.

Rebecca agradeció a RedRyder
  • suezbell
    hace 4 años

You might consider Corian countertops/backsplash -- something with a marble look.

Rebecca agradeció a suezbell
  • shirlpp
    hace 4 años

Your cabinets are pretty much the same color as mine - except I have maple. Your flooring also looks like my floor(amendoim).

I have glass doors in about 4 cabinets as suggested to you by Norwood Architects.

You might consider pendant lighting over the peninsula. I get compliments all the time on my kitchen and I'm glad to see all of the "Likes" from grapefruit1_ar's comments......Best Wishes!

Rebecca agradeció a shirlpp
  • tedbixby
    hace 4 años

I think part of your issue is that at one time the backsplash was the "star" as when you look at your photos that seems to jump out compared to everything else blending. And now it is old and tired looking. Consider a "star" backsplash rather than your typical subway and if you are set on gray, it has to be combined with other colors as gray on it's own is going to make everything else look "wrong."

Angela Harris Dunmore Micheli Décor 8x8 Ceramic Tile | Tilebar.com · Más información

Rebecca agradeció a tedbixby
  • Kendrah
    hace 4 años

What is your current budget? When you say temporary fixes is that because you want to redo your entire kitchen eventually, and if so, when? Answering these questions will help us give better advice.

Meanwhile, I agree with most of what everyone said above. Don't paint these cabinets. You have to pay a lot to have them done well and you could easily spend that money on counters and backsplash instead. As many pics show above, you can really make your kitchen look warmer and brighter with different countertops, hardware, and backsplash.

Rebecca agradeció a Kendrah
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    hace 4 años

I really don’t like the OP’s floors. They need to be refinished or replaced, which is probably why OP used “temporarily.” I like most of the backsplash and countertop ideas. Maybe a coordinating tile for the floor when that is in the budget.

Rebecca agradeció a ShadyWillowFarm
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 4 años

good point. refinishing those floors to a more natural tone, would really make a diff. (in addition to new countertops and splash. it would look like a brand new kitchen)

Rebecca agradeció a Beth H. :
  • PRO
    Jamie the Cabinet Nerd, Virtual Assistant
    hace 4 años

Absolutely agree with @Stull&Stull! If you do change your cabinet, please only use a Professional/Factory baked on finish! It will outperform any jobsite paint job!

Lighting is a very overlooked & under utilized design element! I would recommend going to a Professional Lighting source for experience & quality purchases. You will be sticker-shocked but you will also be stunned at just how much light bulbs can have an impact on your space!
    TIP: Live with the lighting for a couple weeks before you make any further design/color selections. Get yourself acclimated to the 'coolness/daylight' spectrum.

Personaly in my home, we do have mixes of orangey browns, grays, blues & neutrals. The opposite color of orange is blue. Cool grays, bold ink-blues and balanced neutrals will definitely compliment & also breakup all the warm tones in your kitchen.

Take it from a pro, when you put a new backsplash next to an old ctop it just makes the ctop look worse. Then you will end damaging the new backsplash when you decide to pull the trigger & install new countertops. Or removing the old top in hope of reinstalling it after the new backsplash goes in place has been successful 0% of the projects I warned homeowners about. TIP: Laminate countertop material has come a looooong way in performance & aesthetics over the past few years! Take a look at WilsonArt or Formica's higher-end HD laminates. The beauty & movement of natural stone is captured by High Def Digital Photography. If you dont tell anyone it's not granite, they'll never know. Plus it's about 40% less than basic granite colors!

Good Luck with your project! I know you'll make confident choices!

Rebecca agradeció a Jamie the Cabinet Nerd, Virtual Assistant
  • armchairshopper
    hace 4 años

That’s a pretty kitchen. The recessed fixtures focus the light on a relatively narrow area. The investment with the biggest impact would be to install new ceiling light fixtures that emit more light, and over a wider area. Shown below are some examples, available on Houzz.com.

2-Light Flush Mount, Brushed Nickel · Más información

Disc LED Round Flush Mount, Brushed Steel, 9.5" · Más información

LED DOUBLE RING CEILING FLUSH, 3000K, CRI80, ETL/FCC, 15W, LM1050 · Más información

I replaced some of the recessed ceiling lights in my home with ones similar to the third example. They were very inexpensive at a warehouse club. The brighter lighting made the room more cheerful and appealing.

Rebecca agradeció a armchairshopper
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    hace 4 años

The floors looks like engineered wood to me. If the OP is planning on eventually replacing or refinishing them, it’s probably a good idea to get a complete plan to include backsplash, countertops, flooring etc.

Rebecca agradeció a ShadyWillowFarm
  • shirlpp
    hace 4 años

Don't change those gorgeous floors!

If anything change the flooring in the adjoining room that looks like hardwood, but is different.

Rebecca agradeció a shirlpp
  • deegw
    hace 4 años

As a short term easy fix I would find two natural look indoor/outdoor rugs for the sink area and the table area. The space needs grounding. All the wood tones don't give the eye anywhere to rest. Plus, the rugs will tone down the dominance of the floor pattern.

This rug is too light but it gives you an idea of how a rug will tone down the floor and pattern.

Rebecca agradeció a deegw
  • housegal200
    hace 4 años

I also think your kitchen is gorgeous. The cabinets aren't the problem; the countertops, backsplash, and gray paint are as others have said. Hope you keep an open mind about changing those elements, not the cabinets. Here's the bright, warm palette to go for. Notice undercabinet lighting if you don't already have that.

Contemporary Kitchen · Más información

A couple glass-fronted cabinets might be a way of "lightening" the kitchen.

Daniels Design Kitchens · Más información

Rebecca agradeció a housegal200
  • itsourcasa
    hace 4 años

@partim it was so obvious... and i'm not surprised.

Rebecca agradeció a itsourcasa
  • Rebecca
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you everyone for the amazing and helpful comments. I wasnt sure how to solve the issues and starting with lighting is a great idea. The kitchen is about 17 years old and the counter is very peach/orange which isnt a color I like at all. The rest of our home is greige (Ben Moore 1471/1459 and warmer white trims with blues/teal bathrooms and purples around too)Also I just assumed a counter would be completely unaffordable vs the painting (the floor we will update later when we finish as few other floors in the house). (And for the person-Tony- who was trolling- I have never seen HGTV- just seen a lot of white cabinets in houses near me and seemed logical to help brighten up the kitchen.) I am so appreciative the of the ideas of lighter/white counters and backsplash and even lights, rugs and shades. I will be working on those ideas and post the final. Thanks for saving the cabinets :)

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.