Houzz Logo Print
mudroomaddition

Soaking Tub v. Shallow Tub?

mudroomaddition
hace 4 años

I am replacing an alcove bathtub in my teenagers bathroom. It is the only bathtub in our home. The dimensions will be 30x60. The current tub is a bit less than 9 inches of water depth. My kids mostly use the shower, but I would like to replace it with a deeper tub (at least 12 inches of water depth) so taking a bath is an option - but I realize that will mean a higher "step" to get in the shower. (We are a pretty tall family - so taking a bath in the current bathtub doesn't work well). Any advice on tub option? Anyone regret getting a "soaking" tub that is used for a shower as well? Thank you!

Comentarios (10)

• Greg Bennin
    hace 4 años

Get on Kohlers website or home depot to start. Note how many gallons your water heater is and don't go much over 30% of that. I put a 110 gallon soaking tub in a new house and needed 2 40 gallon water heaters to make sure it'd be warm enough.

mudroomaddition agradeció a Greg Bennin
  • mudroomaddition
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks Greg. I did not think about the water heater. I was worried about stepping into the tub with the additional height.

• smit2380
    hace 4 años

We just installed a deep tub (like 21 inches) in a hall bath like that. We like it, but I am 5’2” and it is a big step. We added a grab bar to go with it.

mudroomaddition agradeció a smit2380
  • PRO
    Rustica Hardware
    hace 4 años

I take baths a lot, so I feel like a soaking tub is the way to go! I have a soaking tub in my home and the step in has never bothered me.

mudroomaddition agradeció a Rustica Hardware
  • PRO
    User
    hace 4 años

If the primary use is as a shower, your choice will need to be tilted to that function. Look at the American Standard tubs who have the overflows at the top of the opening, like shown below, instead of down in the tub. That gives you a few more inches of soak room, while still maintaining the lower side needed for use as an everyday shower. You will require one with an integral tiling flange for use as a tub shower.

mudroomaddition agradeció a User
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    hace 4 años

Soaking tub for sure.

• K R
    hace 4 años

We replaced a kids’ alcove tub with a deep Kohler underscore tub during the remodel. Both of my kids are tall (girl is 5’6” and boy is 6’) and they both enjoy taking showers and baths in this tub.

• Maria Mesgar
    hace 4 años

KR what material is this.? Price point...

• worthy
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

We have a couple of 17.5" high acrylic tubs and until your posting I never thought twice about it being a high step-in nor recall any complaints from others. (And they're not shy about voicing their opinions.)

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.