Houzz Logo Print
edwardhighmore

Renovation layout.

EDWARD HIGHMORE
hace 4 años

Hi,

We’re looking to renovate a 1960’s end of terrace town house extending into the loft and to the rear. Budget and planning permission allowing, our ambition is to end up with a light-filled open-plan kitchen/dining/reception living space. We’re hoping for three ensuite bedrooms including a big rear facing master bedroom on the first floor with loads of wardrobe space. Our issue is whether we can integrate a lower ground floor extension into the living space. We’ll probably also create a utility on the lower ground but may have to keep the garage for all our junk.

Thanks

Ed

Comentarios (14)

• PRO
    MarbleAir Architects
    hace 4 años

Hi Ed,
    I’m sure there are clever ways of making this existing layout perfect for you and within your budget. Have you had an architect over to chat the concept through with you? If not feel free to contact me on: 07927739303 or annadp@marbleair.com

EDWARD HIGHMORE agradeció a MarbleAir Architects
  • Jaq Cualey
    hace 4 años

recently done a similar project in London , happy to ping some ideas around on email when you are ready

• EDWARD HIGHMORE
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks for getting back to me.

Finally exchanged on the purchase.

Being in a Westminster Council Conservation area will place restrictions on things like the siting of the stairs to any loft conversion.

Having spent at bit of time in the property, maybe having the Master at the front of the house isn't too noisy. Considering going for an adaptable entire first floor master which we could section off if guests ever stay. ...Probably an unworkable idea.

Still just don't want to end up with those 'dead' posh rooms on the raised ground floor with us only ever living in a lower ground floor kitchen.

• Jaq Cualey
    hace 4 años

Ive done a lot of work in Westminster and Belgravia....there are restrictions but creative solutions can ( as I am sure you are aware always be found ....my advise would be to have an idea of what you want and then look at wether it need to comply rigidly with restrictions or if it is possible to gain a relaxation of the regulations ...presumably the property is listed ?? or is it only part of the conservation area ??

EDWARD HIGHMORE agradeció a Jaq Cualey
  • EDWARD HIGHMORE
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Happily the property isn’t listed it's just within the Bayswater Conservation Area. It’s part of a block of five similarly unfashionable 1960’s bomb site fill-ins but we think it's got loads of potential.

• PRO
    Tiziana Meciani Interior Design
    hace 4 años

Hi Edward, I’d look at making part of the new rear lower ground floor extension double height so that it visually connects to the living area on the ground floor. A redesigned staircase could work too in bringing the two spaces together. It looks like you have a lovely project that will benefit from some clever design.

EDWARD HIGHMORE agradeció a Tiziana Meciani Interior Design
  • EDWARD HIGHMORE
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I think you are right. The problem may be getting permission for a two storey (lower ground and raised ground) rear extension in a Westminster Conservation Area.

• Jaq Cualey
    hace 4 años

Just needs to be thought out and presented correctly but definitely a nice scheme .

EDWARD HIGHMORE agradeció a Jaq Cualey
  • PRO
    Erwin George
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Hi Edward, I just got planning and in the construction process, for a house extension similar to what you are after. I will attached an image for your information. Also it is worth looking around, to see what other people have done in your area, as this will give you an idea on what could get planning.

EDWARD HIGHMORE agradeció a Erwin George
  • EDWARD HIGHMORE
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

You’re right Erwin. However locals might begin to think I’m some kind of prospective burglary as I peer over into their back gardens!

• PRO
    Erwin George
    hace 4 años

Also if you are on a tight budget, you could consider doing a permitted developement scheme which does not required any planning approval in principle. PS. Remember your balaclava while peering over the back wall.

EDWARD HIGHMORE agradeció a Erwin George
  • PRO
    Tiziana Meciani Interior Design
    hace 4 años

Or maybe a safer way to check out what has been consented is to go onto the planning portal of Westminster! ;)

• PRO
    Erwin George
    hace 4 años

Hi Tiziana. Yes that's a much safer way.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.