Houzz Logo Print
webuser_156688745

Before/after - bookshelf design help

Kelly Z
hace 4 años

I could use some suggestions on a bookshelf - I completely changed the style of my family room/den so had nothing to put in bookshelf till yesterday - Homegoods binge. Over time I hope to fill with things I truly love and mean something - but couldn’t live with a empty bookshelf for 5 years :) would love any thoughts or advice.

Comentarios (16)

• jmm1837
    hace 4 años

It's a good start, but a bit too rigid and formalized for me. How about adding some books as a start? Then, a bit more assymetry in the placement of items.

• Kelly Z
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Yes, I’ve got to get some books - I’m attempting a kinda minimalist/clean look- but agree it’s a bit too structured. Thanks for your note!

• Shasta
    hace 4 años

Add a little bit of color, maybe some greenery, something from nature. Feels like it doesn’t have any personality.

• catpat66
    hace 4 años

You did a really nice job with refinishing!!

• dillobr
    hace 4 años

Looks great! Yes to plants. Also, contact your local library - they may have annual book sales where you can find some deals.

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 4 años

Too soldierly. Too many ones and twos. Try trios. Layer photos with large in back and shorter ones in front, max of three together and random placement within the bookcase. If the shelves have glass (they look like they do) install some LED lights in the top or maybe behind the side trim. Books can stand, lean, lie or stack. They can be used as lifts and props for other items. No paperbacks please.

• K R
    hace 4 años

Agreed, need more books and less matching/mirror sides. The trick is making it look less thought out.

• hollybar
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Too rigid. Don't mirror so much. Go to an antique or even junktique store....let your eyes and imagination wander. What speaks to you? A shape,a color,a medium? You can do the same on ebay or at Chairish. But don't buy a thing unless you love it or find it intriguing. Take your time. Do not buy books just to fill space. It inevitably looks off. That said, I am sure there are books on subjects or by authors that interest you. Allow the shelves to reflect your personality.

edit to add: a small piece of framed artwork that you love could be a great addition. Happy Hunting!

• PRO
    Window Treats Inc.
    hace 4 años

Maybe try adjusting the shelves differently. Leave a larger space on the top of one side and maybe a larger space near the bottom on the other to accomodate larger accessories or even a painting. Get creative!

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    hace 4 años

Yes to books! Always a good addition and every home should have a library. Family photos and family heirlooms are always a great addition. Someone suggested adjusting the shelving so that they are not all equally spaced. Yes to that as well. I'm not sure which is the final color option you chose for the piece but I do like having a back wall of a piece be a different color that the rest. So, yes to that too. If there is enough sunlight I would suggest a plant or two. Good luck!

• PRO
    Jill Nelson Design Service
    hace 4 años

I would add a lot of books with the page edge facing out, not the bound edge. This creates a uniform yet interesting look with great texture. It also allows you to use books that are all different colors because now the outside color isn’t seen. If you don’t have many books go to your local thrift store to stock up.

• PRO
    AHA
    hace 4 años

Great job on the refinishing of the cabinet! So, the shelving arrangement needs some depth and layering and more interest. Played around with it and showing just an example of how you can create those elements...Good luck with it all! 😊

• PRO
    Meldium
    hace 4 años

How about adding some vinyls and an old-school music player?

• teamaltese
    hace 4 años

Unfortunately, minimalistic styling doesn’t go with this style of bookcase. You’re going to want to as suggested above, and layer books, art and plants. HOUZZ and Pinterest have articles about styling bookcases that provide a good start.

• skunst2017
    hace 4 años

I would definitely buy some books if you don't have any ..buy some classics ..or get a library of the encyclopedia ...so much fun to learn things ..the old fashioned way in winter while sitting in front of the fire ...but at least three rows of books ...or good looking folders ...this cabinet should serve a purpose for use ...it's a good,oozing piece of furniture .., it's dominant ...it's a pity to just put unimportant things in it . A bookshelf unit has a purpose ....try and use for what it is intended ...and have fun with it ...unless besides books you have other collectible ...art book s, figurines , old clocks ..or take most shelves out and put a TV ..

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.