Houzz Logo Print
jean_knight39

Need help with landscape & exterior colors of asymmetrical house front

Jean K
hace 4 años

The front of our house (bought recently) is two bland cream colors with partial stacked stone by one window and also below windows on left side. It seems out of balance, and I need ideas on landscaping (none in yard!) and also paint colors and siding suggestions to give it some focus and style. We are considering adding window boxes and facing two of the porch columns with faux stone to create Craftsman look. The current faux stone is shades of tan, orange-ish and cream - no gray. Thanks in advance for suggestions!!

Comentarios (24)

• D M PNW
    hace 4 años

It isn't about landscaping but what drew my eye was the gutter is only at the front door. Anyone walking up the steps in the rain will be under a waterfall.

Jean K agradeció a D M PNW
  • mamadada
    hace 4 años

Is the front door the two french door set in the center? Are there screens on them?

• Jean K
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks for your question. Front doors are dark stained solid wood (no panes) double door. Storm/screen doors are on each.

• Jean K
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Hi D M,

Yes, since this picture was taken we have added gutters to the section over the two windows. We couldn't believe either that they were without any for 30 years since house was built! There is actually a space 3' between sidewalk and house filled with landscape rock.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Your pic is too far away for good foundation landscape advice. Stand in the yard just off of the curb (still in line with front door) and take 3 slightly overlapping pictures that pan from far left to far right. Let the neighboring houses show in the background. Take all photos from the same position, merely pivoting.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    hace 4 años

What are the peculiar protrusions on either side of the windows?

• kitasei
    hace 4 años

To my eye, the colors are not bland but tasteful - or maybe tastefully bland:) I notice the curvature of the column trim, and don't understand the window frame or trim, but generally find the simplicity of the architecture appealing. I wouldn't rush to introduce new elements. Are you in a region and neighborhood where authentic craftsman houses predominate so that yours could make references to the style that would be understood as such, while remaining authentically new? The references could be carried out in the landscape. Are there houses in the area that achieve what your're after? Sharing those pictures would help. I always think we don't consider the neighborhood contexts enough when we discuss a particular house and its landscape.

• Jean K
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Laceyvail 6A & kitasei: Yes, we call those outcroppings by the windows "blinders" like those on the eyes of a race horse! We plan to remove them and push profile back to flush with the house siding. They limit our view looking out, and they are just rotting from 30 years of no gutters - which we fixed too. Don't get me started on the updates we have had to do indoors!

A new house was just built a few doors away which is definitely Craftsmen style. We joke that they stole our color of green with brown trim and the stone faced porch columns we want. Most houses in our neighborhood are traditional with muted colors but nice landscaping - which we don't have.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

• PRO
    Omega Brick & Landscaping
    hace 4 años

Good Evening, Jean. So the stairs lead to a lower level parking area/ garage? While a appreciate the use of the stone on both sides of the house, it still appears unbalanced because the stone is not at the same level. I would consider continuing the stone left of the door to the height of that on the right to gain some of that balance.

I realize there is a significant slope already covered in stone. I assume that stone was used to cover the excessive amount of exposed poured concrete on the foundation. However, that should be landscaped with shrubs/ trees/ perennials, thus eliminating the dominance of that stone. I also realize the siding is set out further than the stone below. That means the stone replacing the lower portion of the siding may look like it’s floating. Again, once the plantings are in, the “floating stone” look will be less problematic.

Jean K agradeció a Omega Brick & Landscaping
  • Jean K
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Omega Brick: Yes, Thank you! The problem is that the stone enhances the lopsided look. On the left foundation, the stone wasn't even continued to the porch - it ends about 3' short. Thank you for the suggestion of planting something to hide the lower stone and also adding it to the left of the door! Should it stop just past the first window on the left to balance the right side?

We just have to match the stone - or maybe remove it from the foundation and use it up above? The area below where the left windows stick out is now sloped and all landscape rock and helps to drain rain water, but we could put bushes in front of the sidewalk. (The stairs stop at our driveway which runs the length of the left side of the front yard and to the back of the house.)

Thanks again.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    hace 4 años

I would go with muted yellowish/tan color from your stones.

Jean K agradeció a Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • PRO
  • Jean K
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Celerygirl: Thank you so much! This is great! I was thinking about a strong color like muted green or blue, but it looks great with just a bit more contrast between the tan/cream/yellow-ish and the white trim. I think the stone around the columns nails down the Craftsman look we were considering, and your images show that. (I have tried to use imaging software, but I am all thumbs with it!)

• graywings123
    hace 4 años

I would skip the window boxes. They are high maintenance, and you have more than adequate space below the windows for plantings.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    hace 4 años

“Nice landscaping . . . Does anyone have any suggestions?”

Jean, on Sunday 12/30, Yardvaark made a request for a set of photos taken closer in from just inside the yard, from one spot opposite the front door, that spans across the whole yard from one side bound to the other. Can you add that so we see the whole span of the front yard? Landscaping isn’t just in front of the house and this photo is a bit too far away for useful landscaping suggestions. For instance, is there a bed between the house and the steps to the left of the door and if so, how deep is it front to back? How is the drive positioned?

• Jean K
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

(See my response to OmegaBrick.) The space between the house and steps is filled with landscape rock and serves as drainage on a slope down to the driveway. It is not suitable for foundation planting, so in this case the landscaping needed is indeed just in front of the house unfortunately. The driveway runs from front (street) to back of house and forms the border of the yard and property on the left side of grass in picture. The only area available for landscaping is shown in the picture I posted - there are no side yard areas. Thanks for your interest.

• margaret T
    hace 4 años

Here are some ideas: A small paver patio sitting area with a little path from the porch, surrounded by perennial flowering plants; a couple of larger trees to balance things out, a rock edged garden with grasses and bushes; some taller plantings on the right side of the house; more grasses surrounded by rock around the light post.

Jean K agradeció a margaret T
  • Jean K
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you Margaret T! Your nice plan definitely makes the focus and balance more in the middle of the house and yard. I have to careful of the underground utility lines that enter on the right side of the yard, but those can be marked and avoided of course.

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 4 años

The "Darth Vader" looking dormer, the French country brackets on the porch posts and the blinders, are all in conflict and not Craftsman. Start an ideabook on Craftsman homes that you think you could mimic. Here's a better dormer for you. Those are the main things I'd tackle if you want to change the style.

Craftsman Garage · Más información

And the posts...

Brand New Bungalow · Más información

Jean K agradeció a decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    hace 4 años

Jean, here are some colors to compare

It is better to pick color from existing stones

• Jean K
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Celerygirl: Wow! Showing the non-neutral colors does convince me that sticking with some lighter or darker shade from the existing stone and brighter white trim is the way to go. Thanks! (Right now the paint left behind for house and trim is so close in color that I have switched them accidentally when doing touch ups.) I love the landscaping too. I wish our grass was that green : ) - another neglected issue we acquired, but fertilizer is on the shopping list. You have a great eye for design!

• PRO
    hace 4 años

You might want to check Benjamin Moore Bennington Gray color. I accidentally surfed through it, it seems not bad for exterior. If you check BM site for this color. then you can see that it is good with gray and brown colors. You have gray roof and brown stones.

• Jean K
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I will visit local Benjamin Moore store tomorrow! I like their suggestion of Chantilly Lace for exterior trim. I have to tone down and avoid any glaring white because house faces West - don't want to blind drivers on the street. : ) Thanks again!

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.