Houzz Logo Print
minipie

Utility room decor help please!

minipie
hace 4 años

We’ve recently put in a small utility room. I’m pleased with it functionally as we’ve squeezed a lot in, but it needs some more interesting decoration as we ran out of steam ... it’s all plain white at the moment, apart from the floor which is wood look tiles. It’s a small high ceilinged windowless room so a bit of a challenge!

Two questions:

1). What sort of splashback would look good here?

2). Should I paint the end wall a colour, perhaps to tie in with the splashback? Or hang pictures? Might be a good place to display kids’ artwork somehow?

Many thanks!

Pics here, please ignore the laundry and boxes...:

Comentarios (16)

• Daisy England
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

If it were me I’d leave it as it is. It’s a utility so not a room where guests would frequent so there’s no need to jazz it up.

I wouldn’t bother about a splashback either. I presume you’ll be keeping the cover over the sink (had to edit my post as I couldn’t see it originally) so if it’s a sink with occasional use, just leave it and wipe down after each use.

minipie agradeció a Daisy England
  • minipie
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks Daisy. You’re right no guests, but I might enjoy doing laundry more if it was a bit more interesting and less utilitarian!

There is a sink where the tap is, it‘s hidden as it has a removable lid (just visible). It doesn’t get used very often though, so could manage without a splashback.

• minnie101
    hace 4 años

i watched the Ralph Lauren documentary the other day, well with one eye and ear (!), and in their first flat they had a big collage on the wall of all the houses/places/interiors that inspired them. I just thought it was a nice idea if you're wanting to feel inspired to do the laundry (would also add a radio!).

I don't know if this is your kind of thing but I have meraki bits and bobs which could look great on the worktop, I also like the idea of the dishcloths in the mini wall basket. They're all available at design vintage whom have some lovely things. Maybe also add an artificial plant?

you could also paint or paper the ceiling to bring the height down and add a colour?

• minipie
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks minnie! I do like those bits, and plants would be good, I guess they would have to be artificial though given the lack of sun... Maybe I could do something collagey with the kids’ drawings. they would definitely add colour :)

You can’t really see much ceiling as I have a pulley laundry airer up.

• minnie101
    hace 4 años

I'm not very green fingered but here's a link to plants which apparently can survive without light!

https://leedyinteriors.com/10-houseplants-that-dont-need-sunlight/

I've got dried eucalyptus which could also look nice in a jug. It absolutely stunk at first but the smell did go in a few days! Kids pictures could work in a collage or there are also various "picture frame" wallpapers around. What's on the unseen wall? You can also get those Scandi style ladders from which you can hang photos or pictures on pegs. Or something like this

minipie agradeció a minnie101
  • minipie
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks minnie! Those look good - better than blu tack. I will look up the plants though fake might be more likely to survive :) I am not green fingered either...

• minnie101
    hace 4 años

Lol!

minipie agradeció a minnie101
  • Fran H
    hace 4 años

How about a mirrored splashback. As for the wall, do you have a colour in an adjacent room you’d might like to use.

minipie agradeció a Fran H
  • rinked
    hace 4 años

Perhaps a mural (door sticker, xl photo, etc) on that back wall? Something calm and soothing?

https://www.photowall.co.uk/wall-murals/nature

https://www.photowall.co.uk/wall-murals/nature?&p=2

(that last one would be plenty to do the hallway too, LOL)

minipie agradeció a rinked
  • Juliet Docherty
    hace 4 años

I think I'd be tempted to paint just the end wall a strong colour such as emerald green to create a slab of interest and change the proportions. Then add some wooden or natural accessories. Look up Liza Giles' house to see pure white with emerald green and wood, it's amazing.

minipie agradeció a Juliet Docherty
  • minipie
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks all!

fran I had originally planned a mirrored splashback to add light and width. But in the end the room doesn’t feel nearly as cramped as I thought, and mirror would reflect all the junk I leave in there!

Yes there is a green we have used in the downstairs WC that I could also use there - Pea Green by Little Green - or could use a dark colour like Squid Ink which we have in our front room.

rinq I like those murals but it would be semi hidden by washing and ironing board so not sure if it’s worth it?

colourhappy Green is what I was thinking.... either Pea Green as mentioned above, or there’s a Botanical Green colour by Sanderson that I really like but wasn’t brave enough for elsewhere! I thought maybe a white mosaic splashback with green grout? I will look up Liza Giles thanks

Sonia, I like the idea but can’t find any patterned tiles I love hence thinking of white mosaic with a coloured grout to make a pattern. But now I like the zellige idea... hmmm!

• minipie
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Ooh actually I have a big blank wall further up the house and those murals would be great for there... if I can twist my husband’s arm... (he likes white )

• PRO
    Tower Ceramics Ltd
    hace 4 años

A nice Mosaic or Metro tile would look nice and wouldn't cost much for a small area.

• Sonia
    hace 4 años

Minipie, as jazzy tiles not your thing, how about hexagonal? You can have a simple white grout, or coloured. They come in white and many other shades and in mini mosaic ones to big bold tiles. Just a thought!

• rinked
    hace 4 años

I wouldn't mind a little 'trompe l'oeil' behind my washer and ironing board ;)

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.