Houzz Logo Print
emily_schutte57

Chandelier size- is it too big for my room ?

Emily Schutte
hace 4 años

Comentarios (46)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 4 años

Because you hung it high enough, I think it works. Room looks pretty bare. More stuff to install? Window treatments?

Emily Schutte agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • mer03
    hace 4 años

Get a great big rug and pull out the chairs a bit. Maybe replace the end chairs with bigger upholstered chairs. Pretty room! Chandelier is lovely!

• Emily Schutte
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you! Yes, I would like a new table- bigger- with end upholstered chairs. I need a rug and something in the corners.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 4 años

You style of table and chairs does not suit different chairs at the ends and IMO that look is over there is no host and hostess special chairs any more unless your whole house and entertaining style is formal.

Emily Schutte agradeció a Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Molly D. Zone4B
    hace 4 años

Beautiful light fixture! Large rug and some panels will look awesome! Ready for Thanksgiving!

Emily Schutte agradeció a Molly D. Zone4B
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 4 años

Beautiful space and beautiful chandeier! I think a round table would look great in this room. What are the dimensions of the space.

If you bought a larger, round table, I would lower the chandelier

"Hostess" chairs, in my opinion look very forced and make the space feel more traditional.

Emily Schutte agradeció a CDR Design, LLC
  • Emily Schutte
    Autor original
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Thank you all for your advice. Any suggestions on color of rug? That is why I haven't purchased one- I am not sure what to get.

I was nervous about the chandelier size bc the room is 14x15, or slightly bigger. The chandelier is 4 ft. I bought it online and I am more of a visual person. I have wanted this style of chandelier for a long time.

I was considering a table set up like below. Thoughts? It does have the host/hostess chairs.

• Emily Schutte
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

• IdaClaire
    hace 4 años

I like it! Then again, I have a chandelier over my dining table that is so large as to feel rather "Dr. Seussian", so I guess I just like 'em large. ;-) I would suggest you consider removing the sign (or whatever that is) above the window though, as it competes with the fixture when seeing it head on as you've posted here. I recently removed some of the wall decor in my own dining room which was sort of fighting the presence of the chandelier, and it looks much better.

Emily Schutte agradeció a IdaClaire
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 4 años

I am sorry, but those hostess chairs just look huge compared to the other chairs.

A 72" round table would be perfect for your space. The rectangular table is fighting with the chandelier.

• Jilly
    hace 4 años

I’m not suggesting these specific rugs — I don’t know what styles you like — but just wanted to show how having a rug in there balances the chandelier nicely. I used these two examples to show a brighter one and a more muted one ... whether traditional, modern, or any other pattern.

Emily Schutte agradeció a Jilly
  • oaktonmom
    hace 4 años

The chandelier is too large for your table.

• Shimi Herman
    hace 4 años

Love the chandelier! Think it's big, but not too big, and it's definitely a strong choice for the room.

I agree with those who have said the room could do with a rug, think you could go with a more muted tone and color pallette. Maybe the second one that Jinx suggested?

Emily Schutte agradeció a Shimi Herman
  • Emily Schutte
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Jinx!!! Thank you seeing that really eased my mind. I think it works with the larger rug underneath.

• PRO
    Master Edge Homes
    hace 4 años

Chandelier is great but is a little oversized for the table below. Totally agree that the larger rug underneath balances it out. You could use pattern and texture in this room and you can achieve that with your choice in rug. Good luck!

Emily Schutte agradeció a Master Edge Homes
  • mononhemeter
    hace 4 años

Not a pro but I think the chandelier is fantastic.

Emily Schutte agradeció a mononhemeter
  • IdaClaire
    hace 4 años

Very nice, Jinx! The rugs make a big difference.

If it's not already on one, put your fixture on a dimmer. We still need to do that to ours as well, but it's on the "to do" list.

• cd7733
    hace 4 años

Beautiful chandelier! The size is perfect for the room but a little overwhelming for your table. I agree that a 72" round would look great! Especially with a 8' square rug.

Emily Schutte agradeció a cd7733
  • Emily Schutte
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you! I love the visuals. I definitely want upholstered chairs. I am wondering if a wider & longer rectangular table with a large rug underneath would even it out? I like the round table with the round chandelier, but I think I prefer a rectangular table.

• cd7733
    hace 4 años

In a 14'x15' room you can technically have a table 6'x7' which would allow a 48" circulation path around your table and guests could easily walk behind seated diners.

The recommended minimum distance from table edge to wall is 44" and the bare minimum is 36". At 36" someone would only have room to scoot sideways behind someone sitting.

• hollybar
    hace 4 años

Love your chandelier,especially love it in that space. As you build your room, consider that a rug needs to be large enough so that the chair doesn't move off it when used. At minimum that means 24" beyond each side of a table. My preference is 30" minimum. Lots of great dining rug tips here. https://www.houzz.com/magazine/10-tips-for-getting-a-dining-room-rug-just-right-stsetivw-vs~32442746

Emily Schutte agradeció a hollybar
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 4 años

You could select a round table that can expand to an oval.

Emily Schutte agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Emily Schutte
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you to all that have commented! You have been very helpful to me. I never even thought of a round table. I can see the benefit from a design standpoint. Something to think about!

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 4 años

I think a round table with a round rug would look fantastic. Can you tell me why you want a rectangular table?

Upstate New York Equestrian Farm · Más información

Martha's Vineyard · Más información

moss tree, landfall · Más información

• Emily Schutte
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I guess I have always pictured a big farmhouse table with upholstered chairs in there. Honestly, I never really thought of a round table. That room opens unto a deck. Underneath it is a screened in porch where I plan to put the table in the picture.

Directly in front of the dining room is a kitchen with a large island with seating. The current set up- the rectangular table is perpendicular to the island. The table part of the island is oblong in shape.

• Emily Schutte
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I will take a picture when I get home. You all have been so helpful! I would like to change out my seating at the island and maybe you will have some good input on that as well.

• njmomma
    hace 4 años

following

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 4 años

Tidal Mill Place · Más información

#urbanfarmhouse - Casual Dining Room · Más información

Brookline Private Residence · Más información

• IdaClaire
    hace 4 años

I think your current table looks just lovely in the space, and if I were you, would be in no rush to replace it.

Emily Schutte agradeció a IdaClaire
  • lucky998877
    hace 4 años

I have the same exact size dining room with a large round chandelier (similar style to yours). Sure, the room would look wonderful with a large round table also, but my rectangular table lets me extend it to fit 12! You cannot do that with a round one :) I guess it depends how you use this room...mine needs to fit lots of kids during birthday parties etc. I have a round table in my eat in kitchen and love it...they both fit their spaces just the right way.

Emily Schutte agradeció a lucky998877
  • doods
    hace 4 años

I agree with those that like the rectangular table better. To me round chandelier and round table is overkill, another version of matchy matchy. I like your current table with a rug underneath, balances off the chandelier very nicely.

Emily Schutte agradeció a doods
  • Jilly
    hace 4 años

I made a long post and accidentally deleted it. Argh! Was just posting another vote for rectangular in there. I gave a lot of reasons, too. :D

Emily Schutte agradeció a Jilly
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 4 años

IMO there are some significant visual style pluses with a round table

• M K
    hace 4 años

Nope I think it looks great! Yes you could use a rug though. Table is lovely.

• Emily Schutte
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Kind of a weird pic, but I wanted to show what it looked like from walking into my kitchen. Those bar chairs could be replaced with something prettier? I do have 2 small children, so maybe I should wait.

• lucky998877
    hace 4 años

Yes, I would replace those bar stools...too much wood. Pick something that makes sense with that pretty chandelier. Sure, kids can make mess on a lot of stuff (I have 4), so wait until you do a nice upholstered seat ;) plenty of options out there that are easy to wipe.

Emily Schutte agradeció a lucky998877
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 4 años

No, it is not too big.

Emily Schutte agradeció a Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • cd7733
    hace 4 años

I would wait to replace the bar stools until the kids are 8 or older. Style be darned. The current barstools have a wide, sturdy base and full supportive back - very safe for little ones. Mine are 3 and 6 and I've purposely put off getting barstools but would choose yours in a heartbeat.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 4 años

What is the black item in the dining room? A refrigerator?

Please take down the round decor item. It is hung too high and you really don't need anything on that wall.

• Emily Schutte
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

It’s a wine frig.

yes, I was looking at that when I took the pic. We moved in recently and there was a nail there, so I just stuck that there- not really purposeful.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 4 años

Can you move the wine frig somewhere else? What is that on top of it?

• Emily Schutte
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Yes, probably. It eventually will likely go in our basement - we plan to put a bar down there. That’s a tiered server from my son‘s bday party. I need to move it.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 4 años

Okay. Thanks! The chairs on the breakfast bar appear to be too large....unless you can scoot a couple toward the end and have them sit on the curve.

• Emily Schutte
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Good idea! I think I will do that. When the kids get a little older I will replace them. Can I do upholstered at the island and at the new potential table or would it look better to mix materials. I agree there is a lot of wood in our house and I would to downplay that some.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 4 años

Also, in an ideal world, I like counter chair backs to be closer to the counter height, especially in a case like yours. But, I realize you are going to stick with these chairs for awhile.

I prefer leather for the breakfast bar. People tend to spill more there and it is a casual in and out. Fabric is fine for the dining area.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.