Houzz Logo Print
kdelprato

Help with curb appeal/landscaping

kdelprato
hace 4 años
última modificación:hace 4 años

Looking for recommendations to increase curb appeal in the front of our house. There is no “front door” rather a side door next to the detached garage (not visible in picture). This is the view from the road. If facing the house, the right side front yard is very shady and so far I’ve only had success with a holly , hosta and rhododendron there. Towards the middle and left side

there is more sunlight and therefore a hydrangea does well there. There is a mountain laurel that I am nursing back to health in between the two windows from the right.

Also looking to re-paint the house this summer so I welcome color suggestions.

Should we add shutters to the larger picture window? Window boxes with flowers?

We’re in Zone 5

thank you!

Comentarios (12)

• Kimberly Hart
    hace 4 años

Here are few suggestions to improve the curb appeal-

1. Make the lawn lush and healthy to improve the landscaping.
    2. Add organic fertilizers to the soil and water the lawn daily in the early morning to remove brown spots on the lawn,
    3. Repaint the house with silky and sky blue color.
    4. To decorate the windows from outside you can use hang planters, construct a mini pergola, add flower box or install shutters.
    kdelprato agradeció a Kimberly Hart
  • kdelprato
    Autor original
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Thank you

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

I think your house color is fine and would not change it.

In terms of the plantings, you have too many one-of-a-kind things going on right now and not much seems to be coordinating with architectural features. I'd suggest fewer plant types and make sure that if a plant underscores a window, it is a size capable of doing, and is lined up with the window. (IMO, a dome shape is better than a box shape for shrubs.) The tree seems well placed. Remove its lower limbs as its growth goal is reached in order to prevent them from becoming part of the permanent canopy. My drawing is not about specific plants, but organization. You can find plants that grow where you are that are capable of fulfilling the various plant roles. I love nice, well tended window boxes, but for the most part, and the way they are constructed, and on account of the typical homeowner's lifestyle, they are impractical and end up not working out. Let the shrubs planted in the ground, themselves, serve the same function as window boxes ... especially if the shrubs bloom. It is a much easier solution to care for.

As mentioned, work on the grass, If the grass does not have a nice complexion, nothing around it, no matter how great, cannot look as good as it otherwise would.

• kdelprato
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Wow that’s beautiful!! Really appreciate it!

• PRO
    Drawn by Nature Landscaping
    hace 4 años

Hi there,

Concerning the landscape I would suggest starting up towards the house and plant a row of larger shrubs that will grow between 3-5' tall. All 1 variety. Then find a plant selection that will contrast nicely with the shrubs at the back which will be smaller in size and may have a different leaf texture. From there, at pops of color using perennials in groupings of 5 or 7 planted about 18" from each other to get a mass coloring effect.

I would recommend planting a small "patio tree" in the empty space between all the windows to add some height, like a limelight or pink diamond hydrangea. I would definitely add a window box beneath the picture window to draw attention to it. Add annuals and trailing plants like potato vine. I would add shutters as well to connect it with the right side of the house. Right now the left section of the house looks like an addition and isn't a cohesive design.

Hope this helps give you some direction!

• kdelprato
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you! I’ve had some people tell me that shutters on the large picture window would not be appropriate... so I’ve struggled with that but I agree there’s a disconnect

• Denita
    hace 4 años

I would remove all the shutters.

The shutters you have on the house right now are emphasizing the unbalanced placement of your windows IMO. Notice how the shutters on the windows run right up to the edge and appear to be squeezed against the edge of the house? It contributes visually to the window placement being unbalanced. Adding shutters to the large window won't balance the appearance. If you remove all the shutters your home will appear more balanced IMO. Then if you have a tall tree in front of the blank wall (away from the house itself) it will visually balance.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    hace 4 años

Which is why I'm concerned about the ID of the current tree. It looks like a Japanese maple, which is not going to get much taller than it is currently. That spot needs a tree that is going to have a mature size taller than the house. Possibly a fastigate form.

kdelprato agradeció a mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
  • PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    hace 4 años

some ideas:

• kdelprato
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Wow thank you! Very beautiful... I’m so grateful for all of these ideas!

• Sigrid
    hace 4 años

@mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)

I have a Japanese Maple that is shading second floor windows and the first floor of my house is ten steps higher than the ground that the maple is planted in.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.