Houzz Logo Print
babblingbrooke7

Single Bowl or Double Bowl

Court G
hace 4 años
última modificación:hace 4 años

So torn!!

We are 1 day from making a decision on a sink for our kitchen reface. Should we get a single bowl or double (50-50) bowl?

Pros and cons?

Comentarios (32)

• Shannon_WI
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Single. And how wide is your sink cabinet base, or how wide will your sink be? If your sink width is less than 36”, it means that with a double bowl sink, neither bowl will be big enough to lay a roasting pan down to soak, or wash a pot without banging into the divider.

50-50 is the worst of all. If you MUST get a double bowl sink, then get 60-40 or 70-30 configuration. With a 50-50, both sides are useless size-wise.

Some people like the low-divide sinks as a compromise. I am still not a fan, cause it still leaves the washing bowl too small and you can’t lay anything down to soak.

• tedbixby
    hace 4 años

I've had a few different configurations and my favorite is the 70/30. It allows me to keep soapy water in the 30 side while I cook and at the same time be able to use the other side of the sink and the disposal at the same time. I had my 13 x 16" roasting pan laying flat in the 70 side today so it is a pretty good size-IMO. I also have a sink grid which helps protect the SS.

• Court G
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you both! I will measure to see what I have. I see the pros and cons to both single and double. I’m not in love with the 50/50. I don’t mind the 60/40.

• seosmp
    hace 4 años

^^^^^ Amen

• kodiac23
    hace 4 años

Single!

• pittsburrito
    hace 4 años

Our low divide double bowl sink was just installed today! We decided on this style because we do not like chasing food scraps in a single bowl to the drain. In a double bowl there is half the real estate to chase scraps in, all of which is very close to the drain -- of which there are two! That makes clean up after dish washing both easier & faster. (Plus one side can house the drying rack, so that's not on my countertop.)

• amateurdeziner
    hace 4 años

Single

• vinmarks
    hace 4 años

Single

• eandhl2
    hace 4 años

In my last house I had a 60/40. This house I did a large single & miss the 60/40. I always had the 40 clean ready to wash veggies and drain the good knives & occasional piece that wouldn't fit in the DW.

• Mrs Pete
    hace 4 años

Go with a single-bowl sink:

- It'll be large enough to wash your biggest pots and sheet pans.

- You can always put a big pot or a wash basin into the big sink, giving you the function of two bowls ... but you can never make a two bowl sink into one big basin.

- A single sink has only one drain, meaning you have less plumbing /more storage under the sink.

- A single drain means you don't have a side with no disposal.

• daisychain Zn3b
    hace 4 años

Think about how you like to use a sink. It drives me nuts to have one drain and one bowl. Putting a pot in one large sink to use as a second bowl is definitely not the same as having two with separate drains.

I grew up with a big one bowl and have had a small single bowl at our lake house for the last 20 years. This summer we put in a 60/40 and I am thrilled beyond belief. I would have rather had a 70/30, but this was a budget reno using only what I could find on craig's list.

I'm not questioning those that love a single bowl, but it is not for everyone. Again, think about how you use a sink.

• eam44
    hace 4 años

Hi Daisy, how do you use a sink? I’m hoping for and planning on a workstation, but I have always hated my sisters’ divided sinks. One is 50/50 which is horrendous, and the other is 70/30 with is basically just a really small sink next to a small sink. What are you doing in there that requires two drains?

• PRO
    Master Edge Homes
    hace 4 años

Hi Daisy, I know this seems like it should be a simple decision but really comes down to how you will use the sink. as suggested by eam44. Most of our clients are going with a single basin sink for it's practicality washing large pots/pans that won't fit in the dishwasher. If you do go with a divided sink, I echo the other recommendations to consider a 70/30 split.

• runnem
    hace 4 años

I prefer double but I also have no dishwasher. I use one side to rinse before putting them in the soapy water on the other side. It is difficult to wash big pots and pans and neither side is big enough to soak things.

If I had a dishwasher I would definitely only have one large bowl.

• T
    hace 4 años

Unpopular as it may seem to be we have a 50/50 double bowl sink. When we first got it, it replaced an older 50/50 double bowl sink but we weren't making any other changes at the time so it had to fit in the same cutout, and I didn't want a drain board style. For our older house, we haven't had a dishwasher to date so the dish strainer goes in one side, and we wash up in the other (unless we have a rare need to do something in both bowls). The newer sink is much deeper and less curved edges than the previous one so it fits big pots and pans easily even at 50%.

Now we're re-doing our kitchen and installing a dishwasher and could do whatever we want with the sink, but really like our setup. It's a small kitchen and counter space is precious, and I much prefer the dish strainer sitting below the counter top, especially with deep bowls like we now have. It just sinks away from the eyes a lot more that it being out on the counter. Our sink is in the middle of the counter top so there's not a discreet place for the dish strainer (unlike our old condo with less counter space, but the strainer was against a wall where you couldn't have used that space really for anything else useful so was just fine on the counter). Technically the only thing I'd like better is a 60/40 split... the 50 split is still a great bowl size but there's no dish strainer that fully fills out the other side, so if it could be 40/60 that would be ideal. That being said it was a pricey sink when we got it a couple years ago and not sure the size difference aggravates me enough to spend more money. ;)

And yes, we're getting a dishwasher, but we'll always need a strainer. Even with a dishwasher we'll still use it daily because the majority of our glassware is vintage with designs that would come off over time in the dishwasher. And at the end of the day I'd still rather have the drying dishes lower than the counter top, aesthetically I just find it a lot nicer looking. Even if that's a less popular way to do things.

So every home and needs are different, even when your opinions on why you like something may be a bit quirkier than some. Think about what will work best for you and go from there.

• Lyndee Lee
    hace 4 años

I have a double sink where the faucet is offset and the second bowl is larger, so it might be 60/40. I have had a cast iron 70/30, a single bowl fireclay apron front sink and now a divided granite composite. I like having one sink for leaving items to dry while still having the use of the other side. When I had the large single bowl sink, I hated waiting for the sink to fill and it always seemed a waste when I only needed a smaller amount. I had a radiator taking up all the space underneath so no handy spot to stash a dish pan either.

My preference would be for a deep stainless steel sink with a large/small setup and a workstation cutting board and perhaps a matching colander. Another desirable option for me would be a somewhat smaller single bowl sink (3/4 size?) and another 6 inches of countertop. But, just like everything else, remodeling is a series of compromises and I chose cheap and easy.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    hace 4 años

You need to start with the size of your sink base cabinet. Then see what you can fit in there. I have a large cabinet and wound up doing a sink that has the main bowl is a standard size single d bowl sink and then there is a 10" veggie sink... I love it..

It really is all about your needs though.... we all have differing opinions

• M Miller
    hace 4 años

"When I had the large single bowl sink, I hated waiting for the sink to fill and it always seemed a waste"

My experience is the opposite - that the single bowl sink saves water and I don't need to fill it. That is because when I put a baking pan or other large pan in the sink to soak, I can lay it flat, and only fill the inside the pan. So it saves both time filling the sink, and saves water. I never fill up my single bowl sink with water. I do have a dishwasher.

This is as opposed to when I had a double bowl sink (last had in 2003) when I had to fill the sink to the very top with soapy water to try to submerge as much as I could of the pan that was leaning against the divider. Never could get the entire thing under water to soak of course, so it meant a lot more work on the unsoaked part, and a lot more water used.

• daisychain Zn3b
    hace 4 años

How do I use my sink? I guess number one, I don't usually soak large pots. Secondly, I often fill the smaller side with a bit of water for rinsing my cloth to wipe tables, floor, etc. Since the smaller side is often full of soapy water, I like to have a second drain for straining liquids or emptying cups before they go in the DW. The 2nd bowl is often full of dirty dishes while the DW runs (or until I convince my kids to load the DW. I guess if I had a prep sink, I might like having a large single bowl?

• tangerinedoor
    hace 4 años

I think it depends on how much counter space you have generally. I have a single bowl because I couldn't spare the counter space to have a double one. I like having a double one, but it's not necessary for me; I also now see the arguments against pthread. I never thought about them, but I agree!

The biggest thing I'm not crazy about with the single is peeling vedge (e.g. potatoes) into it. When we soon have required composting, though, I'd want to peel them directly into a compost container anyway.

• Design Girl
    hace 4 años

SINGLE

• Crystalgirl9369
    hace 4 años

I’m definitely doing a large single in my renovation! I have the double now and I don’t see the what its purpose is at all .. And make sure the drain/disposal is off to one side so dish’s don’t block it.

• Ally De
    hace 4 años

DOUBLE!

• Court G
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Wow thank you all! Who knew this could be such a tough decision!

• wilson853
    hace 4 años

tangerinedoor, just an FYI about potato peels. I found out the tough way years ago that they are not supposed to go down the disposal. Same with pasta. The starch can cause a clog.

• Shannon_WI
    hace 4 años

@wilson853 - it must depend on your disposal. I have a 1 hp Kitchenaid batch feed disposal, made by Insinkerator. It's about 5 years old. I put potato peels in it all the time. Not often pasta, because it always gets 100% eaten in my house! I just ground chicken bones in it last night. Also, banana peels, pineapple rind (cut up, and not the top), watermelon rind, pretty much most things. If you have a good powerful disposal, it should certainly handle potato peels.

• wilson853
    hace 4 años

I've always had Insinkerator disposals and always peeled into the sink until the day it surprisingly backed up on me. I think that a batch disposal helps with not overfilling the disposal, which is what I probably did. Now I try to be a little more careful. Luckily DH fixed it and I didn't have to call a plumber. This is from the Insinkerator Excel 1 HP manual. I have heard that the busiest day for plumbers is the day after Thanksgiving. Just a friendly reminder.

DON’T...

DON’T POUR GREASE OR FAT DOWN YOUR DISPOSER OR

ANY DRAIN. IT CAN BUILD UP IN PIPES AND CAUSE DRAIN BLOCKAGES. PUT GREASE IN A JAR OR CAN AND DISPOSE IN THE TRASH.

Don’t fill disposer with a lot of vegetable peels all at once. Instead, turn the water and disposer on first and then feed the peels in gradually.

• Don’t grind large amounts of egg shells or fibrous materials like corn husks, artichokes, etc., to avoid possible drain blockage.

• Don’t turn off disposer until grinding is completed and only sound of motor and water is heard

• Don’t use hot water when grinding food waste. It is OK to drain hot water into the disposer between grinding periods.

• PRO
    RCKsinks Inc.
    hace 4 años

@ Courtney G . Single vs double can be a tough choice . The single bowl is typically much larger and makes washing pots and pans easier but I do find the second bowl useful at times. My suggestion would be to find a double bowl in a 60/40 to 70/30 configuartion . I'm posting this pic just to show what a 19.5 by 17.3 inch bowl can handle. If you can find a double bowl with one side being that large it may be a good option.

Sink size · Más información

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 4 años

In the last house I had a Kohler stainless farmer’s sink. Hated it…water spots and scratches and it always had drop marks running down the front. New house I chose a 60/40 in black composite. It is a love/hate relationship. I love the black composite, hate the 60/40 size because there are so many pots/pans/cookie sheets that don’t fit into the bowls. If you do decide on two bowls, and you have an off-side faucet, as I had to do, think twice about orientation. I wish I had asked the plumber to mount the faucet at the larger bowl.

Best situation I ever had was our first house because there was a huge soap stone sink (1913) in the attached garage. With a set up like that, it makes no difference what I chose for the kitchen. All the big pans went to soak in the garage sink.

• Connie Stackhouse
    hace 4 años

Definitely double. I cook A LOT and constantly use both sides of my sink, one for prep and one for washing. I do not have a disposal, as I compost most of our waste and am very finicky about what I put into my septic system. Both sides are deep enough to house a 40 quart soup pot, and one side is long enough to soak a large roasting pan. A high, curved faucet also makes it easier to wash huge pots. I don't remember What kind of sink it is, as we installed it 30 years ago. However, we are planning a major kitchen Reno, and I only hope I can find another comparable sink. It was purchased at a big box store called Hechingers, which is no longer in business. In spite of its age, I would keep it in a heartbeat except that it is stainless mounted on top of a laminate countertop. I will be doing quartz counters with an undermount sink.

• Steph H
    hace 4 años

Double bowl all the way! I like 60/40. It gives you more options. It’s so helpful to me.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.