Houzz Logo Print
webuser_441490419

Recommendation for architectural software

Husa Berg
hace 4 años

My architect has drawn 2D floorplans and elevations for our 2800 SF main house and 1200 SF guest house. I would like to manipulate some of the basic dimension view in 3D. He is quoting me $1600 to do that.

1. Is it reasonable?

2. Is it possible to take basic dimensions from the above and plug in to sketchup or some other similar program that has 3D modelling?

Comentarios (24)

• PRO
    PPF.
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

I would like to manipulate some of the basic dimension view in 3D

What do you want to manipulate?

Do you just want to see the buildings in 3D? Yes you can model them in SketchUp -- if you know SketchUp. There are other programs like those available at HomeDesignerSoftware.com.

You could pay someone to model the structures for less than $1,600.

Husa Berg agradeció a PPF.
  • PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    hace 4 años

I recommend employing a single design professional for everything even it's more expensive. There is a risk of losing stuff in translation, as they say, and more so when more than one party is involved. When compared with the total project cost, $1,600 can't be all that significant.

Husa Berg agradeció a Charles Ross Homes
  • Husa Berg
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks you PPF and CRH

I'm interested in playing with roof heights (it's flat) and overhangs

I'm going for a certain look

Yes. I want to see things in 3D

I tried Sketchup a couple of years ago but found it difficult to use/learn

I'll take a look at home designer software

You're right CRH, $1600 is nothing in the big scheme of things but the point is that I want to have the software so I can change things as many times as I want, when I want, and not have to go back to the architect every time I change my mind (and pay for it)

Once I have basic dimensions down, I can go back to him and have him change the official plans

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    hace 4 años

@Husa,

From your most recent post, I can only infer that you've relegated your architect to the role of draftsperson. If that's the case, you've got the wrong architect on your team.

Husa Berg agradeció a Charles Ross Homes
  • User
    hace 4 años

I believe it’s unethical to offer architectural services to someone who has already hired an architect but if all you want is a computer model of what has already been designed so you can play with it there are many Houzz members who can do it but the cost would depend on the scope of the work.
    Would it include the interior or complex shapes? What software would your architect use? Would you be allowed to modify it?

Husa Berg agradeció a User
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 4 años

"You're right CRH, $1600 is nothing in the big scheme of things but the point is that I want to have the software so I can change things as many times as I want, when I want, and not have to go back to the architect every time I change my mind (and pay for it)"

You could become an architect. I think with the current requirements it could take as little as eight years, or stop changing your mind.

• Husa Berg
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Not at all CRH. My architect and I have a great relationship. He designed our previous house and did a excellent job. For that project, I present him with a scrapbook full of images that he synthesized into a really nice set of plans

For this project, he has drawn what I have asked but I'm still curious about how thing would look if the walls were taller./short, the overhangs longer/shorter

RES 3d- I'm just talking about the basic exterior design. And the point is, I want to do it myself. What I think looks perfect one day may look too tall/short, wide/narrow the next

Bitter guy- I'd love to be an architect but my current job keeps me pretty busy. No, I'll never stop exploring my design options. Thanks and good luck!

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 4 años

Are you referring to me with "Bitter guy"?

• PRO
    User
    hace 4 años

HI.

You could ask him to create a simpler model in sketchup for you that you could then play around with. There are lots of youtube vids on how to use sketchup and I'd say it's about an hour learning curve for the basics (Inc watching the vids).

Might be cheaper than the $1600 also.

That way you're both happy....

• Architectrunnerguy
    hace 4 años

Not a thing in the world wrong with an owner building their own 3D model but when one of my clients do it I tell them I don't want to see it (and you know whom I'm talking about Mark T.....LOL). The reason being, the role of the architect and owner can become easily interchanged, usually without obvious notice and often in incremental small steps. Some time later, either short or long, the dialog can be..... Owner: "Ok, what do you think of this roof?" Architect: "I like it". That example's overly simplistic of course to save typing but basically the owner is doing the creating with their 3D program and the architect is passing judgment on the effort, a complete reversal of roles.

That's been my experience anyway. I've been down that road so I just say "I don't want to see it" and that's working well.

And while I agree with RES with regard to ethics (and it happens here all the time as there's really no difference between consulting professionally via the click of a mouse as opposed to the turn of a door knob), it's very difficult for someone who is inherently creative (as all design professionals should be) to avoid the "As an alternate, what do you think of this?" question. Ethics aside, I've seen that happen often here too.

But good luck in your build. Exciting times!

Husa Berg agradeció a Architectrunnerguy
  • User
    hace 4 años

Husa, to answer your original question, IMO the best software is SketchUp Free. a free online program from Trimble (SketchUp Make has been discontinued). As has been mentioned, there are many tutorials on YouTube so it shouldn't be difficult to learn enough to create a simple model and try different roof shapes with shadows and people. I have found it helps to be obligated to produce work for a client in order to find the motivation to learn CAD so I won't say its easy but we can help you if you get stuck. One thing to learn early is to use the rectangle and push/pull tools for most of the work. I've used SketchUp for 20 years and I'm just now learning how to draw custom window components.

The only other issue is whether or not you would like your architect or a consultant to create a simple version of the existing design in SketchUp. If you do it yourself with Sketch Up Free you will not be able to import your architect's 2D CAD file unless that file is available to you and you pay a $300 yearly fee for SketchUP Pro but you can draw the perimeter of the plan and locate the doors and windows one line at a time.

If you want to be able to modify your architect's model, you will need to own the architect's software so find out what it is and how much it costs; it might cost more than the architect's proposed fee..

I agree with ARG that it would be difficult for another architect to draw a model without offering improvements and I take you at your word that your architect is registered so I will limit my involvement to advice on the forum.

• Husa Berg
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you TCR, runner, and RES

I understand where you are all coming from and the implications from a professional standpoint

I think spending a little time learning sketchup, creating my own basic shapes, and then presenting them to my architect for incorporation into the current plans is the way to go

I really appreciate all the helpful suggestions

• User
    hace 4 años

Here is the place to start learning SketchUp

If you run into a problem let us know.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    hace 4 años

Who does anything without a 3D model in 2019?

There are still a few. Last year I received a full set from an Architect who had hand drawn in full electrical details and a some of the structural. Wouldn't provide PDFS.... made me order prints!

Most clients can't really visualize from 2D drawings. It's more of a gift or a skill that takes lots of practice.

There are some offshore vendors.

Husa Berg agradeció a Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
  • seabornman
    hace 4 años

No one mentions model-making anymore. Can you draw a straight line? Can you cut a straight line? Can you use an architectural scale? Then you can build a "study" model. A study model can be quick, can use architectural drawings (by spray mounting the drawings to the model medium), and can be a valuable tool to investigate what you want. Don't like a feature? Tear it off or build a section separate from the main part and stick together. Don't get hung up in making it pretty - that's not the reason for it. It is gratifying to be able to hold the model in your hand and look at it in real (not fake) 3D.

I dug this one up. You can see the the parts that are drawings glued to cardboard. You can buy mat board or just use any old cardboard you can find, but it helps if it's not too thin. Elmer's glue holds it together. This one's at 1/8" = 1'-0" scale. You can even use corrugated cardboard or foamcore for larger scale. Matchsticks make great posts!

Husa Berg agradeció a seabornman
  • Husa Berg
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

great suggestion!

• PRO
    Summit Studio Architects
    hace 4 años

Is your architect creating the 3D model himself or hiring it out? If he's doing it himself, schedule a work session with him to tweak the design together.

Husa Berg agradeció a Summit Studio Architects
  • Husa Berg
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I'm really anxious to try old school/real modeling

My architect has a draftsman/young computer savvy guy in the office who does the 3D work

Pretty sure he does not know the software well

• PRO
    Summit Studio Architects
    hace 4 años

If you can get a meeting in front of the computer with the two of them, you can explore the tweaks you're suggesting with the benefit of the architect's expertise and without having to learn a CAD program.

I do these work sessions all the time with clients. I love them because it cuts out a lot of back and forth email. Clients love them because they feel very involved in design decisions and can see the effect immediately.

• Architectrunnerguy
    hace 4 años

I like SSA's idea about everyone getting together over the same table. Like him, I do that all the time, usually conceptualizing the whole house in one four or five hour design session with the owners as active participants. I call these design charrettes and they can be very productive. Here's a coupla photos..

I've always thought that if an architect won't do any designing with the client there and always has to go back to the shop to do that, they probably aren't that good.

• User
    hace 4 años

If your goal is to try different roof shapes and overhangs on a complex house, a model is going to require a lot more time and effort than a CAD model.

• Architectrunnerguy
    hace 4 años

And then maybe the goal is to do something fun.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 4 años

You are best off letting the design professional you hired do the designing and you provide the direction, assuming both of you have mastered the same language. Any tool (CAD program, pencil & paper, X-Acto knife & foam core board, etc.) used to graphically or physically represent the architecture will have a learning curve; there is no easy way around it other than let each team member perform the duties they do the best. Work out the areas of your concern in a face to face meeting to maximize the communication. Architectural solutions may come spontaneously or require some to come up with a proper result, depending on the architect’s past practice.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.