Houzz Logo Print
webuser_220808833

Shiplap- is this on it's way out?

AJ D
hace 4 años

We are in the process of remodeling our main floor and considering doing shiplap on two walls? I have always LOVED the look but don't want to regret doing so if it's no longer in style.

Something similar to this on the large wall...

Thanks!

Vacant Staging 3025 Jasper Boulevard · Más información

Comentarios (12)

• Jennifer Wilson
    hace 4 años

I'm personally not a huge fan, but I can appreciate it in the right setting. I agree with Greg — if you love it, go ahead and do it!

AJ D agradeció a Jennifer Wilson
  • della70
    hace 4 años

TV hosts have made everyone think this is a great idea, including tearing down walls, and open concept living space. They make money and then move on to the next trend...

AJ D agradeció a della70
  • Anne
    hace 4 años

I plan on putting it on my ceiling to cover the popcorn texture in our hallway and foyer (that has cracks and isn't easily patched). If you love it, go for it.

AJ D agradeció a Anne
  • Liz H
    hace 4 años

Shiplap is horizontal and paneling is vertical, right? Paneling was a thing once upon a time, but now everyone laughs at it. The same thing will eventually happen with shiplap, but so what? When you can’t stand it any more, you’ll change it.

AJ D agradeció a Liz H
  • Helen
    hace 4 años

Normally I would say it's your home and if you love it, do what you want. I just finished a remodel and it is very specific to my own taste.

However, and I don't mean this in a snarky manner, if you feel it necessary to query the internet as to whether something is in or out, you should probably avoid what is a trendy look because you are obviously concerned about trends. In my opinion, the only place shiplap isn't "trendy" is in some kind of vintage coastal home or the ilk. But as currently seen in Flipper Paradise, it is indeed trendy.

FWIW, pick up a design magazine that is not catering to the masses and there is nary a shiplap room to be viewed. Again, I am not suggesting that any designer or magazine should be a Bible - people should do what pleases them aesthetically. However, if one is truly interested in whether something is trending up or down, one should at least take cues from where the trends are starting because at least one has at least five years if not a decade before the trends become oversaturated and available at Home Depot.

• partim
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Shiplap has been "in" for awhile and is still in style. However, anything that is very "in" will, inevitably, date your renovation to to this time period so it will be "out". That said, you may enjoy it very much and not care. You can always remove it then.

• PRO
    Susan Tiritilli
    hace 4 años

As a realtor I would ask when do you plan to move. If you feel it is your forever home go for it. I think it will be fine for the next 4-5 years. After that it might be considered dated.

• Helen
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Question for the OP.

You write that you have always loved shiplap. Exactly what do you mean by “always”. If you grew up in New England in a fishing village, then you might have been exposed to shiplap as a child but so far as I know it Wasn’t any kind of design element until fairly recently. I could be wrong of course but I don’t think has been around for a significant period of time.

There are certain styles that I can truly say I have loved always or at least since I started decorating my first off campus apartment my sophomore year. I have always loved Art Deco instinctively. I thought I loved earth tones when I decorated my first adult apartment because that was on trend. Guess which style I STILL love and still have in my current remodel. If you guess the arc light over the earth tone Parsons sofa with the Ray rug, nope. If you guess some vintage Art Deco I’ve acquired over the years, Yup. Lol.

• PRO
    Design West
    hace 4 años

I think shiplap is on it's way out in the everyday rural home. However, beach homes, it's still a classic!

• rgrindrod
    hace 4 años

it is trending out

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.