Houzz Logo Print
karina_etin

HELP please!! Needing Landscaping Ideas for Huge Yard w/ Hollow Pool

Karina Etin
hace 4 años
última modificación:hace 4 años

Need somewhat affordable backyard ideas for this fixer. Currently contains a hollow pool that owner does not wish to keep. The back room you see is going to be a revamped sun room/ hang out area. Thank you so much!

Comentarios (3)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    hace 4 años

A common, simple scheme is basic foundation planting, grass lawn and a couple of trees strategically placed. One could build onto that with some perimeter planting ... which might include view-blocking shrubs or small trees at certain places. One could start with mulch as a bed covering but would probably want to transition to plants of some sort (perennials, annuals, groundcover, etc.) to get away from the annual mulch replenishment, and have better erosion control.

If you want to get rid of pool, need pool demolition pro. They exist wherever pools are sold.

Very difficult to tell what we're looking at with scattered pictures. If you want specific advice on something, line the camera up to it square & center, then take a series of slightly overlapping panning shots that show from far left to far right ... so we can see the thing and its surroundings. Pan far enough to include the house in the scene. Post the individual pics in sequence, not a computer generated panorama, which would be too small.

• chiflipper
    hace 4 años

As mentioned by Yardvaark, check local codes as many require the pool to be removed as opposed to "filled in".

• PRO
    Twelve Gardens Ltd.
    hace 4 años

Hi Karina, It looks like your garden area has lots of potential. I'd look through images of gardens online so that you start to get clarity about your own sense of style, what you like and dislike. Also, make a list of goals for the garden (eg : play space for the kids, grilling area, dining / entertaining area, herb/vegetable garden. or whatever makes sense for you).

Knowing what you want to be able to do in the garden, as well as what is beautiful to you, is a good start.

Then measure the garden and make a basic plan of its shape, and include the house and the placement of windows and doors (measure their location). See if you have an outdoor GFI electrical outlet, and a hose bib or faucet---if you use low voltage landscape lighting and an irrigation system, you will need these. (You will want the irrigation outlet to be continuous, that is, you won't want it on a switch because you don't want anyone to turn the irrigation off).

I can't tell what part of the country you are in? But from the photos, a few thoughts:

- it looks like you may get a lot of sun, and so if you're in the right zone, a fragrant garden would do well: lavender, rosemary, butterfly bush, monarda. rose, perhaps lilac, plants like that. Or are you in California? I can't tell, but plants that make sense in your area; you can discuss with your local plants nursery.

You'll want to choose either an angular, geometric garden or organic, curvy shapes for the layout.

From what I can see of the photos, one design I would try out would be : formal vegetable and herb and fruit garden in the sunny area near the house (if it gets full sun), with gravel walks. Also, flower beds. A terrace with shade of some kind (sail cloth, or umbrella, or pergola). Then I'd make a small woodland where there are tall fences, this may be along the side of the house where the pool is, it's hard to tell in the photos. There could be seating in a few areas: a bench in the herb garden or a chair & ottoman there (eg adirondack chair, nothing fancy); dining table or deeper seating with a dining-coffee table on the terrace, for say 6-10 people if that makes sense for your lifestyle; and then a bench or a couple of chairs in the "woods" area.

You could also incorporate a small oval or rectangle of grass for play space.

Good luck with your design process. I think you might find helpful hints on how to approach designing your own garden on gardenista.com

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.