Houzz Logo Print
mrpyeatte

Improve exterior and curb appeal of midcentury modern home

mrpyeatte
hace 4 años

Looking for ideas for paint color, landscape design, new front door ideas on this new home we are buying to improve curb appeal. Looking for ways to balance the appearance since it has a wrap around deck on one side and uneven brick level. Definitely looking to paint the wood and deck on the house. Would like a really inviting door and entryway. Also, would like to place some sort of landscaping in front of the jagged brick wall to the left of the house.

Comentarios (19)

• Jeanne Seefus
    hace 4 años

Love.. Love your house!! I would do horizontal railings on the deck, change the door to something like the pic below (not necesaarily this color but you get the idea) and plant a Japanese Maple by the corner of the deck. Good Luck. Please repost when you've completed

Clear 4-Lite Fiberglass Smooth Door With Sidelite, 51"x81.75", LH In-Swing · Más información

• PRO
    Mark Eric Benner - Architects, Ltd.
    hace 4 años

My two cents. Darker paint for deck, grey perhaps. The house has such a horizontal theme, you might also consider horizontal cable railing to replace the vertical balustrades.

I like a blue for the siding to contrast and excite with the dark orange brick.

Front door, all glass (could be obscured or etched).

Landscaping, again I would play up the horizontal theme with some foundation plantings.

Best of luck to you.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    hace 4 años

Great house! It looks like the brick is already painted (?) so I'd go with a slate or charcoal gray for the brick and deck, with a gray/blue for the vertical siding and a marine blue door. Agree with Mark's comment above about doing horizontal cables for the deck.

• houssaon
    hace 4 años

Love your house and celerygirl 's ideas for it!

mrpyeatte agradeció a houssaon
  • PRO
    Yardvaark
    hace 4 años

mrpyeatte agradeció a Yardvaark
  • pleballerina
    hace 4 años

Following-nice house!

mrpyeatte agradeció a pleballerina
  • PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

ideas:

mrpyeatte agradeció a Dig Doug's Designs
  • mrpyeatte
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Love it Doug!

• groveraxle
    hace 4 años

Do celerygirl's paint and Yardvaark's landscape and you've got it. The very first thing I'd do is remove that tall tree to the left of the entrance. It totally ruins the lines of this house.

mrpyeatte agradeció a groveraxle
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    hace 4 años

Here is Grover's idea

mrpyeatte agradeció a Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • PRO
    User
    hace 4 años

What a great home!

I would:

• Paint all siding and railing black
    • Black window frames
    • Remove shrub on left of entry
    • Replace entry lights with one globe pendant
    • Replace entry door
    • Widen front pathway
    • Add planters to front of walk

I would not paint the brick.

Hope this helps!

• tqtqtbw
    hace 4 años

The Celerygirl/grover/yardvaark combo with Dig Doug's bush on the right is the winner for me. Nothing where the sidewalk meets the street. Simplicity for this cool house.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    hace 4 años

I like Yardvaark’ landscaping and and celerygirl’s color scheme, and I would add celerygirl’s low bed of groundcover just in front of the current bed of gravel u dear the deck.

It is a beautiful house. I like the General MCM door style suggested by Jeanne to replace the current gridded look.

• mrpyeatte
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I love celerygirls idea with Groves landscaping. Would you paint the brick on the deck side of the house? Also, I love how clean the house looks with these color choices but could you do a blue/gray color instead? Also, I’m very adamant about not having a black door for some reason....any suggestions on a color that would look good with this color combo or one with blue siding?

• groveraxle
    hace 4 años

I wouldn't paint the brick. It's not unattractive and as it is, it's a maintenance free material. And since I wouldn't paint the brick, I also would not do blue siding. Blue and orange are complementary colors and it will end up looking garish.

As for the door, look at the great door that Glo installed in the rendering above. A modern wood double door with hanging globe fixture. It looks fabulous.

• PRO
  • mrpyeatte
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Aha! Grover is right, the blue is a bit much but I love that door celerygirl! Thank you all so much for your design expertise, it’s very helpful!

• PRO
    Twelve Gardens Ltd.
    hace 4 años

Congratulations on your new home! What a wonderful house and garden situation you have to work with.

Make a path, with irregular/natural stone steps along the left side of the photo, behind the tree, so that that slope serves a purpose for you. Add some evergreens along the wall, some that have interesting bones, like a shaped pine, or an intriguing shape, like espaliered camellia.

[Note! As it is unknown which direction the house is facing, and in what part of the country, it's not possible to suggest plants— plant selection really depends very much on that, as well as how much sun/wind/shade/water a specific area of your garden receives]

You could replace all or much of the lawn with an ornamental perennial with good texture, for example Carex pensylvanica, which looks a lot like grass but is much less maintenance and has a great texture. Other soft ornamental grasses and perennials would frame the stone walk to the front door, interspersed with evergreens for structure.

On the right side, in planters on the balcony, you could add one type of ornamental grass, or a soft perennial (lavender with artemisia 'Silver Mound' and stachys or a dwarf white-flowering echinacea.

If it is sunny and you like the idea of growing fruits, veggies and herbs, then you could dress the base of the porch/balcony with espalier fruit trees. An area of walkable lawn could be framed by native grasses and perennials for a natural, informal, relaxing feel, and you could tuck raised beds in the planting beds for growing basil, rosemary, tomatoes, squash, eggplant, sage, peppers--that kind of thing.

Adding well-placed and planted boulders to this garden would make sense with the terrain and the house.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.