Houzz Logo Print
backbayfishing

Flooring confusion

backbayfishing
hace 4 años

Half of my home is ceramic tile, the other half is stained & sealed teak wood, but this house is old & 2 of the rooms wood flooring will cup & then go flat depending on the weather & 2 rooms lay flat all the time, must be what’s under them, don't know. The tile is old & a few are cracked, popping up because years ago when we had it put down, he didn’t use the backer board down, told us it would be fine, was for awhile, not now. My question is should we completely start over or what? It will depend on cost also, just wondering what the pro's & everyone else would do, thx. So much....

Comentarios (15)

• PRO
    Unique Dwelling
    hace 4 años

Hello,

Your teak wood floor is beautiful. That is weird that it is warping in some rooms and not others. Is part of your house built slab on grade (concrete floor)? There are so many options now. An engineered wood floor doesn't warp and cup like a solid wood floor does. So you could go with engineered wood floor or do a tile that looks like wood and carry it throughout your house.

backbayfishing agradeció a Unique Dwelling
  • SJ McCarthy
    hace 4 años

As above, the cupping that is happening with the wood is directly related to the moisture below that area of the house. So long as it doesn't bother you, the wood can be left in place.

The tile is another matter. Cracking tile is a problem. It indicates the substrate below it isn't behaving properly (for tile). If this is on a wooden substrate (like wood-joist construction) it means the floor isn't stable enough to handle all the weight of a tile (might not be thick enough). If the subfloor isn't thick enough (assuming you are on wood) then another layer of subfloor would be in order if you wish to go with more tile.

What is underneath the wood that is cupping? Is it concrete slab or a basement or a crawl space?

backbayfishing agradeció a SJ McCarthy
  • backbayfishing
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you, Unique Dwelling & SJ McCarthy for your input, I really appreciate it! Yes we have a crawl space, probably 2.5-3 ft. When someone remodeled it , they enlarged the downstairs by closing in a back porch that went all the way across the back of house & put a kitchen, utility room, a bathroom for master bedroom and a closet, well none of those floors warp or anything, they stay smooth &flat all the time & they are actually closer to the ground than the other ones, all I can think is that whatever they put down under the floor worked better. The tile was put on 3/4 inch plywood, as we hear now , that was not a good idea, worked for about 15 years though. No , there is no concrete under house. We live on the Gulf of Mexico, lots of moisture. When we purchased house we were told to put a thick plastic under house to help with moisture, year or so later, had a mold problem under house, the technician said we had better remove it.... I could ask again & it would be 50/50, so we don’t at this time have anything under house...

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

. All wood flooring will be subject to high/low humidity changes Your best bet may be a rip to one first floor flooring, and make it tile, engineered with a moisture barrier beneath at install,or a LVP.

At the very least, anything you select needs a properly installed base, and a moisture barrier beneath the flooring.

backbayfishing agradeció a JAN MOYER
  • backbayfishing
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks Jan, I appreciate your knowledge on this, think I’ll go to some flooring stores & check out some options....

• cat_ky
    hace 4 años

One flooring place I talked to, when looking for new flooring (I have a crawl space), said to use roofing felt on the sub floor, before installing wood or laminate type floorings, even though there is no moisture problem here.

backbayfishing agradeció a cat_ky
  • live_wire_oak
    hace 4 años

It’s the CRAWLSPACE that needs the moisture mitigation. You have to vapor proof it.

backbayfishing agradeció a live_wire_oak
  • PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    hace 4 años

Spray foam your crawl space.

• backbayfishing
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Wow, been a long time! Thanks for all the suggestions, they were helpful, now my dilemma is what color tile to use, light or dark, to butt up against the teak flooring.... I've been told to go light to contrast against the teak wood. Any knowledge on this would be appreciated before I spend money on it & do the wrong thing! I don’t have moolah to waste! Here is a pic of tile that was recommended.....

• backbayfishing
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

This is back bay fishing, the lighter tile was recommended, it is porcelain, the other one is kind of pinkish brown, suggested the lighter one.... any help appreciated!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 3 años

No matter what you decide to do, you have to address any subfloor or moisture problems first.

• backbayfishing
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Sorry, should have said that first, we went with a spray in moisture vapor, kind of like putting insulation underneath, but sprayed in covers more I think, wood has not cupped like it used to! Plus when we do tile, the correct board will be put down also, some call it backer board or cement board, after that we should be done with floor issues! Yeah!

• backbayfishing
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Thanks Beverly! Since you’re a pro, which tile would you use or what would you do in this situation? It's going to be costly, several thousand I believe, so I I’ve got to get it right, can’t have anymore costly mistakes!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 3 años

I'd like to see more of the home to form an opinion. Is teak the correct flooring for this style of home? Is there a benefit to using porcelain tile because of location?

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.