Houzz Logo Print
csmitty86

Can Carrara and Calacatta “go together”?

csmitty86
hace 4 años
última modificación:hace 4 años

I am currently in the final stages of our house remodel and need help with our master bathroom shower! I have already chosen a Carrara Quartz countertop that is going on the bathroom double sink vanity (top left of pic). A piece of that is also going on the “lip” of the walk in shower (what you would walk over to walk into the shower).

Shower is approximately 4’x4’ with 3 walls. I have also chosen a creamy shades of white subway tile (Bedrosian Cloe Tile in white) going on 2 of the walls, and a tan/neutral accent tile on the other wall (top right of pic).

I am wondering whether to also do a carrara 2” hexagon shower floor (bottom left of pic) or a calacatta 2” hexagon floor (bottom right of pic)? Im leaning towards the calacatta so it helps work with the tan/neutral accent tile, but don’t want it to not look right with the carrara strip going in.

I hope I explained everything right. Thanks so much!! Here is the pic of all the tile mentioned (except the cloe tile!)

Comentarios (10)

• felizlady
    hace 4 años

What you refer to as “tan neutral” tile (top right photo) is not neutral in any way and it does not work with the counter tile at all. If you have purchased and installed the counter tile, I urge you to use only one tile on the shower walls, and it must match the counter tile color: either the white or the veining color. The shower threshold tile is the same as the counter, and the whole shower will look better if the color matches. The shower floor should be small sealed but unpolished tiles so there is enough grout to make the floor non-slippery for safety. The floor should match the wall tiles, but in a smaller format.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    hace 4 años

If you're using a quartz for the counter tops and porcelain or ceramic for the walls, why use marble on the shower floor? It's the worst place for marble in my experience--it etches and gets discolored and dulled from water. I'd use a porcelain hex on the floor.

As for the color, your accent tile looks to be off-white and the quartz looks very white. They really do not work well together. I'd go with one or the other, probably white, and use the carrara quartz on the vanity, white hex on all floors (including shower) and white subway on the walls. Keep it simple for the best look.

good luck!

• cpartist
    hace 4 años

Your tiles do not work together and it's too much. Listen to what Diana suggested.

• Nancy in Mich
    hace 4 años

Simply go to the top of this page to the "search" box and input "Marble shower floor." Do the search "in bathrooms." You will read why marble should not be used in a shower without being aware of all of the problems it can cause. Someone who used to post here used to call marble tile "hard sponges" for very good reason.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

NO. Start over. Pick a palette. Way too much going on. There is no cream/ TAN on earth that pairs well with your counter top selection. You are warm and cool and all over. Start over in the shower. What the heck is the bathroom floor, and please do not say tan anything.: ) ?

• vshidal01
    hace 4 años

I too, am doing a master bath redo and appreciate you are reaching out for opinions. I am fortunate to have a family member and close friend who are both talented and experienced designers with their own businesses to give advice. They are immensely helpful, but always respectful of my ideas and own style. And it is a given that photos on computer screens don't reflect accurate colors and tones most of the time. I am sorry that some replies on here are not very polite or aware that you may have invested in some of these items. It comes down to this...it is your bathroom and your preferences. Other than function and resale, most things are very personal in our likings. I have found a few simple guidelines to be stress relieving. * Sticking with less complicated & not too many patterns is best unless you are skilled at mixing both color and design.

*Choosing a warm or cool palette will add continuity. Research if you are unsure which is which.

*If you love it and it works, do it. Enjoy your project!

• Evan Zamir
    hace 4 años

I always have one eye on my personal taste and the other on "mainstream" taste, because at the end of the day I don't want to limit the market for selling my house in the future. I would advise anyone to do the same.

• suzyq53
    hace 4 años

If you have the carrera tops already, you other choices should be cool gray colors. Silver, dove, charcoal.

• PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    hace 4 años

sounds as though there is a great deal going on.

The carrera counter tops seem to be good. I'm assuming the sinks are white?

I would not be a fan of the two different slab materials. There seems little reason for calacatta and carrera in the same area.

As I see the room with the suggested materials, there is a clean white and gray bath being combined with a warm cream and tan bath.

I suggest going one direction and not confusing the bath with cream/white/tan and gray.

Even as I type I only see it will be confusing.

?

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.