Houzz Logo Print
anagurka1

Beige Walls, Warm Brown Trim. Grey Carpeting?

anagurka1
hace 4 años

Need some general guidance about carpeting color vis a vis wall color.

We need new carpeting in our hallway and bedrooms. Currently we have a neutral beige, sort of an oatmeal color, as I like to call it. The walls in the bedrooms are beige, and the wood trim and doors throughout the house (a 70’s ranch) is a warm, medium brown.

Though beige is a safe choice, we’re drawn to some of the greys we’re seeing. Can grey carpeting work with a generally beige environment? What, at minimum, would we need to do to incorporate it?

Notes:

- Repainting all the walls is not on the list right now.

- In the living room/dining room and the family room, the carpeting is beige. Would introduction of a grey cause a disconnect?

- We like carpeting because it’s soft, warm and quiet. Though hardwood floors are beautiful, we are not pursuing them.

I’m not committed to beige or grey at this point. It might be that we’re tired of beige and grey is something new and different. But I can happily live with beige if grey creates too many conflicts.

Photo notes:

The hallway looks more yellow than it actually is because of the lighting.

Photos show hallway and part of entryway. To the right of the picture with the yellow matte is the family room (beige carpeting); to the left of the picture is the living room/dining room (beige carpeting). The little smidgen you see to the right in the first photo is a recently remodeled bathroom done in...yes!...grey, greige, and white.

Comentarios (9)

• PRO
    Design Intervention
    hace 4 años

Explore Sherwin William's category of paint's called "Warm Neutrals", take a look at Barcelona Beige and some of the "grayer" versions on the sample or Sherwin Williams Loggia.. But none of us can give you a for sure color without being in the space and seeing the walls in the actual lighting that exists. For that reason I say bring the samples to the space and see what floats your boat.

• anagurka1
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Design Intervention, thank you for the comments. However, we are buying new carpeting and need advice on beige vs. grey (vs. greige?) carpeting. We are not planning to paint at this point. (But I'll file your comments for future reference!)

• PRO
    Design Intervention
    hace 4 años

anagurka, my apologies. You can do the same exercise using carpet samples to give you the look you are going for. I always caution clients that going "safe"in using all neutrals may not give you the updated look you are going for. I imagine all one basic color of food on a plate, cauliflower, mashed potatoes, and chicken.......

Gray would not be a disconnect. In the photo of a clients home that we did in Manhattan Beach below, they originally wanted just "white" and "gray" When they began to look at samples of just those two together they were able to be coached to seeing that the "rich and sophisticated" look they wanted required some warm neutrals to give depth. You can see in the photo that there are definitely some "oatmeal shades" and beiges, but the depth of the warm gray colors give the room a much richer look.

Master bedroom · Más información

• everdebz
    hace 4 años

Am I 'off' to suggest the berber-type mix of grey and beige, hey.... ;)

• Gerry
    hace 4 años

Get samples. I had white carpet that looked good with both warm colors and grey. And it stayed clean as it was only on the second floor where the bedrooms were located.

• shirlpp
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Why not take your entire home into consideration for what you will change in the "near"? future.

Are you going to keep carpet in the family and dining rooms? Are you keeping the darker trim? Are you going to paint? The tile in your entry looks gray. To me it already looks like a disconnect with the carpet in the hallway.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    hace 4 años

Neutrals are so difficult to match--there are so many beiges, grays, and greiges. I'd do a wool sisal and definitely bring the carpet samples home to see how they look in your space. What looks good in the store could look awful in your home. And colors rendered on a monitor can be way off.

• Cheryl Smith
    hace 4 años

I also agree that you need to bring samples home to see how it looks in your home. But I think grey would be great since it looks like you have a gray slate flooring at the end of the hall. I would look for a carpet that has a variety of colors woven in the pile as apposed to one solid color. It will help hide wear and dirt especially in a hall. Some people are still saying gray is on its way out but I don't. I've had gray in my home since 1986 and will continue having it even after the "fad" dies. It's went from a cool gray to warm greige but still gray. It really does depend on what you like and want. You can unify a look by combining the colors in artwork and accessories. Although you don't really decorate a hall much. I used mine in a previous house to display art. Many people use them for family photos. Or just leave your walls blank. It's your house. I'm just posting this picture to show the chairs have both tans and gray. I bought them on Craig's list. I bought a carpet remnant because I couldn't find an area rug that went with them.

• felizlady
    hace 4 años

The rug you have hanging in the entry shows that you DO have style and aren’t mired in the beige and gray world. Since the hall walls are beige but look yellow in the lighting, I would eliminate beige and gray. Look at carpeting in a tan color similar to the color of your hardwood.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.