Houzz Logo Print
skk1975

Where to hang a chandelier and what kind

skk1975
hace 4 años
última modificación:hace 4 años

We recently moved into a new home and are in the process of making a number of updates to modernize the house, including replacing the light fixture in the foyer. The current chandelier is hung at a very weird height on the second floor and isn't visible at all from the first floor foyer.

I've read that a foyer chandelier on two levels should be hung so that the bottom is at the same height as the second floor (or maybe first floor ceiling?).

Has anyone done this before and have advice on where to hang a chandelier given our home configuration (pics below) and the two chandeliers we are considering?

The first chandelier's height is adjustable up to 115", which is the height from the second floor ceiling to the first floor ceiling. Given how the lighting/bulbs are configured though there would be lighting across the entire stairwell and I think it may look weird to have the lighting at eye level on the second floor.

The second chandelier would require customization to add a chain to extend the overall length more than 6 feet.

First chandelier option:

Second chandelier option:

Comentarios (31)

• Kathi Steele
    hace 4 años

IMHO, yours is not really a 2 story entry and the chandelier actually becomes a part of the second floor. It should be hung a lot higher. If you can reach out and touch it from the stairs or the landing, it needs to be hung a lot higher.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 4 años

I would love a long narrow chandelier in this space. A multiple light piece. You can put base plate on ceiling of second floor area and hang as many pendants as fit and look good at various levels. This is example.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 4 años

Another example.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    hace 4 años

That fixture is really a light for the second floor, I would not attempt to hang anything low all the light bulbs would be in your eyes going up or down. I would pick the second one and hang it as a semi flush light. That being said I think those choice are a bit more modern than the theme of your house over all. and if you did hang it as a semi flush with a rod it would be very hard t change the light bulbs.

https://www.houzz.com/products/luxury-french-country-black-vines-chandelier-uql2670-toledo-collection-prvw-vr~90709126?lid=76170114

• lynartist
    hace 4 años

I would hang a lovely fixture at a higher height on the upper landing and another on the ceiling of the first floor.

• lynartist
    hace 4 años

These are from Visual Comfort

• lynartist
    hace 4 años

We can’t really see the whole foyer but I would position a fixture to line up with the front door and this entrance.

• PRO
    Vicki Simon Interior Design
    hace 4 años

I love option #1. Go bold or go home on this one, and your stairwell will be even more spectacular than it is is now.

• groveraxle
    hace 4 años

Neither of those sputnik-type chandeliers fit the style of this house.

• groveraxle
    hace 4 años

Something in iron, hung about here, would be more appropriate:

• Kendrah
    hace 4 años

Regarding height - others have come up with the right solution. Regarding your choice of lighting, others say that your sputnik choices don't match the feel of your house. Do you care about that? Are you going for an eclectic look?

If you will be changing the carpeting and paint colors then I think you can figure out an eclectic look that incorporates a sputnik fixture, ie all white walls throughout your house, some contemporary furniture, a different stair runner. If you are keeping the current colors and patterns then a sputnik doesn't work and I vote for wrought iron chandelier.

I feel like you are going for a stunner eye catching chandelier and the problem is the stunning eye catching element is already there ... the gorgeous stairs, curves, and railing. Try complementing instead of competing.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 4 años

We do need to understand better your overall game plan. Given your selection of modern chandeliers perhaps you need other changes to support that style in such a lovely vintage home.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 4 años

Another

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 4 años

Opps duplicate.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    hace 4 años

What a gorgeous home!! I'd go with Flo's suggestions or something like that.

• skk1975
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks everyone this is very helpful. I’m attaching a picture of the whole foyer area.

Also, we are going for a more eclectic look. We plan to paint, change hardware, and get new furniture. The railing will stay but the goal is to mix something more modern with the traditional elements of the home.

• skk1975
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Oh yes and the carpeting and curtains will be updated. They all came with the house and belonged to the previous owners.

• PRO
    Vicki Simon Interior Design
    hace 4 años

skk1975 YES! I understand your goal and agree with you 100%. An ecclectic mix for this home will be fabulous. You get it!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

IMO the railings drive the style of light yes eclectic is nice but you still need to respect the bones of the space and those railings are the bones.no matter what you do around them. IMO 2 fixtures would be a better choice one at the top of the stairs serving the upper floor and one in the entry lined up with the door and I would have them match.Also make sure they have LED bulbs for less bulb changing and also better lighting.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

I agree with Patricia. It's one thing to slavishly decorate in a narrow style to suit the period of the home, but it's another extreme to ignore it. You can be eclectic and still respect the period of the home. And "eclectic" can be just another term for a mishmash of styles with no cohesion. It's a fine line between good decor and that mishmash.

• homechef59
    hace 4 años

I'm in the group that thinks the period, style, design of the structure needs to be respected. This is a beautiful home. Don't be too eager to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Don't be a slave to the current design, rather do some research and learn about what you have before you inadvertently destroy some feature or element worth preserving.

I suggest you live in the house a little while so that you can ponder where your update money is best applied. You will probably discover that you need a new roof or boiler before you get to the chandelier.

Trying to align eclectic and in this case, sputnik with this house is beyond difficult. It requires a very deft eye and hand. If you must do this, I strongly urge you to consult with a designer on how to best respect the structure and find a harmonious use of updated design. Otherwise, you will end up with a mishmash.

• niccidhg
    hace 4 años

I also think two matching fixtures , one on each floor would look best ( raising the second floor one higher so it is at normal ceiling to floor ratio for that floor ). Something more transitional , to still compliment the lovely architecture of your home, would be my choice. Here are two examples. The lower foyer appears to have a recessed light directly beneath the upper hall fixture ( hard to tell from the photos ). If so, the first floor chandelier could hang there instead. Here are a couple that would work nicely, imo.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 4 años

As I look further at the foyer, i think the locations of the recessed lights, and is that a old smoke detector? all have to be thought through before any light can be installed there. Plus that ceiling height will be limiting as well. You might be better to put a long entry table/console with a mirror, a pair of very interesting lamps and great accessories rather than mess with that ceiling. As someone who bought and lived in a 1900 Victorian, dealing with lathe and plaster walls is pretty tricky to get looking great. Figure this out. Before you paint. How white do you want to go with walls? How about some tone on tone white wallpaper? Lots of choices and options. I suggest you find a local designer experienced with this type home so whatever you do is cohesive and enhances your eventual resale potential.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    hace 4 años

• niccidhg
    hace 4 años

P4p

• lynartist
    hace 4 años

The staircase is the star here. Properly lighting the upper and lower landing to highlight it will be more important as the fixture upstairs won’t be visible from downstairs anyway. It’s a beautiful home and I’m sure once you have a better idea of your future design you will know the direction of your lighting. I too agree with Patricia and would respect the classic look of your home. I don’t think you necessarily have to do an iron fixture though; a little bling could work too.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 4 años

Here are some examples of entries with similar ceiling lines. I also found some with white walls.

skk1975 agradeció a Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 4 años

A few more. You also have spot under stair where another lamp,table and slipper chair could be placed.

• skk1975
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you Flo, this is really helpful! And thanks to the whole group for your input.

Going to go with a fixture that is for the second floor only and skip the chandelier on the first floor. I do like the idea of lamps on a hallway table instead.

I do have a designer who I am using to run ideas by, so I'll review this with her as well. I'll keep other chandelier designs in mind but will work with my designer to selet a final piece.

Thanks!

• homechef59
    hace 4 años

We love to look at pictures of completed projects. Don't be a stranger.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.