Houzz Logo Print
sjjune29

office/study in 1930s home

Stephanie Michael
hace 4 años

We just moved into an older brick home and are struggling to know how to brighten up this space...how do we paint this and what do well paint? we would like to use it as an office. Also included is the living room that is right off of the study.

Comentarios (15)

• lizziesma
    hace 4 años

I would amp up the lighting before painting anything.

• ocotillaks
    hace 4 años

Take a look at this photo Mrs. Silas Mason Home and Study

It looks similar to your study. Do a Google image search for 1930s study/office. If it were my space, I would leave the wood alone and paint the ceiling a bright white. I wood remove the curvy top on the bookcase and replace with simple wood profile. On the floor, I would use a Oriental rug, Zapotec rug, Navajo rug or Turkish kilim. I would scour antique stores, and estate sales for an antique desk. If you are handy, you could build a desk. A metal pipe desk would work as well.

Vintage Kilim Rugs · Más información

Vintage Patchwork Area Rugs · Más información

Handwoven Wool Rugs,Southwest Design rugs, wool rugs, round rugs – Del Sol/Off F · Más información

Handwoven Wool Rugs,Southwest Design rugs, wool rugs, round rugs – Page 2 – Del · Más información

Handwoven Wool Rugs,Southwest Design rugs, wool rugs, round rugs – Page 2 – Del · Más información

Discounted Handwoven Rugs SAVE 50%, Half Price rugs, Handwoven rugs – Del Sol/Of · Más información

Discounted Handwoven Rugs SAVE 50%, Half Price rugs, Handwoven rugs – Del Sol/Of · Más información

Grey Snowflake 100047 (3X5) handwoven wool rug. SAVE 50% AT CHECKOUT W – Del Sol · Más información

Handwoven Wool Rugs,Southwest Design rugs, wool rugs, round rugs – Del Sol/Off F · Más información

With all the wood, you will need a layered lighting plan, ceiling light, floor lamps, table lamp and desk lamp.

• L thomas
    hace 4 años

I love the paneling - tons of character. Do you have the budge to replace the ceiling tiles with drywall (be cautious of possible asbestos)?

• Rachel G
    hace 4 años

Wow that room has so much potential but the amount of wood is overwhelming. I would paint the built ins and trim white and I would paint the paneling a niece griege or biege.

I would also paint the trim and mantle in the other room white, but that is my opinion.

• Tana White
    hace 4 años

I would paint that paneling for sure! I would also consider painting the fireplace and trim.

• della70
    hace 4 años

Embrace that knotty pine and the features in a house of that age. It's a lovely room. Please don't paint the wood. It has a lot of character and is a signature of a certain time.

• Oliviag
    hace 4 años

Omg, please, please, don't paint the wood.
    So beautiful

• Stephanie Ro
    hace 4 años

I mostly agree with previous commenter - the wood paneling is gorgeous and good lighting and a colorful (maybe funky) rug will make a world of difference. However, I think the built in is an interesting features that just disappears because it is the same color as everything else in the room. I would with darken the strain of paint it so that it becomes a feature. Getting rid of the weird track curtain and putting in some simple shades of floor to ceiling curtains will update the bay window - it would make a great reading nook if you added a bench seat!

• Deshawn B
    hace 4 años

I don't like pine personally. Has too many knots. I think it would look more fresh with a paint job. Don't like wood trim either. Looks old and limits your furniture and paint options. Don't personally see the appeal in old wood.

• Chiapet
    hace 4 años

Honestly, if it were my place I would paint it. The built-in looks outdated as well.

• apple_pie_order
    hace 4 años

Keep the pine panelling. Will you be refinishing the floors at this stage? If so, keep them light.

For lighting choices: Do you have office furniture already? Will you be using the office for 9-5 work 5 days a week, for a couple hours a day, or for a half day on weekends?

• auntthelma
    hace 4 años

Wonderful room! Look for white or bright blue wing chairs, an antique desk and lots of books. Very cozy. I love the windows. Don’t paint the wood.

• PRO
    Jenni Leasia Interior Design
    hace 4 años

Maybe this will help you out.

Crystal Springs · Más información

Crystal Springs · Más información

• tqtqtbw
    hace 4 años

My first instinct is to say paint it but there are nicely done rooms that retain the wood, with better lighting and styling. I would have to trade the curvy header for a straight board.

Beach Cottage Living Room · Más información

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.