Houzz Logo Print
joseph_meyer

Disabled access

Joseph Meyer
hace 4 años
How does a wheelchair user access the spa?
Infinity Edge Pool With Custom Rock Waterfalls and Custom Spa in Boca Raton · Más información

Comentarios (5)

• PRO
    Van Kirk & Sons Pools and Spas
    hace 4 años

This pool is not wheelchair accessible, however it is handicapped accessible. We can build wheelchair accessible pools! We can build a zero entry ramp for you to slowly wheel yourself into the pool and/or spa! please refer to the pictures below!

• Joseph Meyer
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I'm curious--why would someone want to wheel a wheelchair into a pool? Wheelchairs tend to be filthy, and are mechanical objects that don't take well to water. Once a seat cushion gets soaked, it can't be used for up to a week. The air in the tires and the tubing will make the chair unstable to get into. Transferring from one's daily use chair into one for pool use would be like mid-air refueling, dangerous and frightening even for someone without physical and neurological deficits.

Why not just build a semi-inground pool and/or spa, with the edge at chair height, so the user can simply transfer, just like getting into bed or a car? A folded towel then placed on the seat cushion for getting out, and it's easy peasy.

I designed a spa that way for a wheelchair user, and it was perfect for her and a lot of her chair using friends. I've known a lot of people in chairs--taught them skiing, produced a seated aerobic video. Never met anyone who would want to wheel a chair into a pool.

Frankly, I don't know why more pools aren't semi-inground. Much safer entry and exit for all concerned, cheaper to build.

Sunken bathtubs were finally recognized as the menace they were, and feel out of favor.

Just food for thought.

You do gorgeous work--I'd hire you in a heartbeat.

Best wishes--

• PRO
    hace 4 años

Thanks so much Joseph for your insights! They actually make water durable wheelchairs and we also install for some projects a pool lift where a person sits on a chair and the chair can put them in the pool! We also do build semi inground pools all the time!

• Joseph Meyer
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks for your gracious response.

Often people who are in wheelchairs have received settlements that enable them to do home remodels, build pools, etc. when the wheeled life is still new to them, and they don't really know what will work best for them; often the best solutions turn out to be simpler and less expensive than what is initially proposed to them.

For some reason I notice a lot of resistance to semi-inground designs, even though they seem to me to have advantages for everyone, not just the disabled. They dispense with the need for handrails, for one thing--not the most attractive element of most pools.

Although lifts have become ubiquitous--apparently the manufacturers were successful at getting them mandated for public pools (nice work if you can get it)--I have never seen one in use. They are somewhat frightening and humiliating to use, and spoil the looks of the pool environment. And transferring into a different chair involves instability and risk of falling.

The simplicity of simply transferring to the edge of a semi-inground pool or spa is hard to beat. Occam's razor and all that. But it doesn't offer sales opportunities for the manufacturers of highly marked up "medical" equipment.

I wish you continued success beautifying the lives of your customers! Best wishes to you.

• PRO
    hace 4 años

Thank you as well Joseph and best wishes to you as well!

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.