Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: What features do you incorporate to encourage wellness at home?

Emily H
hace 4 años

Hilltop Hideaway · Más información

Vote and tell us about it in the comments!

Natural Light
Good Ventilation
Low-VOC Paints
Non-formaldehyde Cabinets
Showers/Tubs with Added Features (ex: steam, aromatherapy, chromotherapy, etc)
Other

Comentarios (33)

• jmm1837
    hace 4 años

Lots of books and a good sound system. Both contribute to my mental health:)

• PRO
    Beth Rosenfield Design, LLC – Associate ASID
    hace 4 años

Designing spaces with views toward nature (when possible), comfortable seating, and clever storage to keep clutter to a minimum are the foundation for "wellness at home". Incorporating plant life is another way to bring nature and a calm feeling into the home (biophilic design).

• K R
    hace 4 años

A full bar...lol. A dedicated gym space for my hubby (I go to an outside gym). We do have a fully integrated HVAC UV purifier system that is supposed to keep the ducts clean, and prevent mold and bacteria.

• doods
    hace 4 años

Wine in my cupboard, and a puppy to play with

• kkaccordion
    hace 4 años

No TV

• Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    hace 4 años

My adjustable bed.

And the super high powered lighted magnifying mirror wall mounted in the bathroom for the ultimate in chin hair plucking.

• Julie Cosimi
    hace 4 años

Installing cupboards on the inside walls that are exposed to outside to cut down heating cost,it is effective.And warm colors in rooms that never receive sunlight.

• PRO
    Karen Simmons Interiors
    hace 4 años

A touch of nature.. rough hewn end table, bamboo, grass cloth wallpaper, woven basket, alpaca throw-something organic and textural adds warmth and livability.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 4 años

No chemical cleaning products a Dyson air cleaner lots of light, a house that is not sealed like a vacuum bag and of course music and a dog.

• suezbell
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Lots of light is important for an upbeat state of mind. Lack of clutter -- so, plenty of storage space -- is, too.

Good ventilation is important for physical health and the right kind of ventilation is important, including economically, for heat/ac.

Agree w/Patricia Colwell -- music -- and, if you are a pet person, a pet.

• Gargamel
    hace 4 años

Bright , cheery, colours

• tatts
    hace 4 años

A three-story house. All exercise is good, even when you're home.

And craft beer.

• suezbell
    hace 4 años

Agree with Beth Rosenfield -- live plants; how many depends upon personal taste. A snake plant placed where it can get natural light requires minimal care and can help make a room feel more comfortable.

• Usuario de Houzz-892909521
    hace 4 años

I agree with Beth Rosenfield too, live plants, lots of live plants the more the better. I also buy weekly fresh flowers for my rooms and have geraniums and petunias on my balcony. You can see the plants in my living on my dilemma I started.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5758296/vintage-thrifted-jungalow-style-needs-upgrading-one-room-at-a-time#24424650

I have some exercise equipment at home and no television to discourage me from sitting and watching t.v. for hours on end. The other thing I do at home is pay close attention to what foods I'm bringing into my kitchen. I avoid process foods, grains, starches, and sugars. I make bone and vegetable broth. I monitor my vitamin d level and take my supplemental vitamin d/K2.

I enjoy reading so I buy books to add to my collection that's relevant to my many interests and wellness lifestyle choices. I open the windows and doors to let air circulate. I also enjoy learning how to play my piano to spark my creativity.

I also really enjoy silence and quietness when I'm at home so no stereo that's connected. I also enjoy getting out of the house and walking in the forest.

• sofikbr
    hace 4 años

without going in too much information (like my hobby): family, dog, light and plants. Here in Florida we are lucky to have lots of light, plants and nature. I would not count bamboo and grass wallpaper as natural elements...

• Usuario de Houzz-892909521
    hace 4 años

Lol, I probably shared too much. :-)

• PRO
    Dream Homes Inc./Daydream Incorporated
    hace 4 años

Sacred spaces, dedicated to specific, low or no tech activities...meditation room, tech free rooms, reading rooms...addressing acoustics and off course minimizing off-gasing materials to limit distractions

• deb s
    hace 4 años

No clutter !!! my house stays nice and clean and open without knickknacks everywhere

• einportlandor
    hace 4 años

A calm interior. Easy access to a beautiful garden.

• Robbin Capers
    hace 4 años

Indoor plants, garden space, lots of windows, lots of covered outdoor space for year-round use, a sauna, a simple design that's easy to clean and maintain, a kitchen that's enjoyable to work in, a quiet tranquil bedroom for good sleep, no TV, a location near trails and close enough to town to run errands on a bike.

• acm
    hace 4 años

location that allows me to walk places as much as possible. no decor will make up for sitting in a car/desk/couch all day!

• Arlene Lee
    hace 4 años

Quiet home (dual glaze, sound reducing windows, keeping out street noise) and whole house water filter (less chemicals) for bathing, and cooking.

• PRO
    essentials inside
    hace 4 años

Natural light makes any space beautiful.

• hsmeghan
    hace 4 años

I put natural light but that isn't anything I planned, it's just the way the light falls into our house -- but I refused to let my son paint his room a dark color and I almost never close curtains to keep things light and bright. I grew up in a house with curtains closed all the time and natural light is very important to me.

Also, our dog makes us very happy. And I must have music to play while chopping vegetables and processing food, and this summer we have our farm share again -- I am loving all the produce! I didn't realize how much I missed this after a few years not doing it. Although at times I do feel like vegetables have taken over my life . . . I made minestrone yesterday with 15 different vegetables in it just to use up stuff I had!

Exercise: my recumbent exerbike sits in a corner of the living room, not to be decor LOL but there's noplace else for it to go, and it reminds me every day to do this. Although I've neglected this all summer so must get going on it again.

For peace of mind and spiritual renewal, I have my coffee every morning in my beloved blue chair in the living room by the window, where I make to-do lists in my daily planner, pray and read passages from the Bible. This quiet wake-up time is the biggest non-negotiable of my life.

• montana88
    hace 4 años

We have a home gym that is used every day that we aren't able to go outside to exercise.

• badlelly
    hace 4 años

Light! And a view of trees and greenery, windows that open, artwork, and my dog.

• zoey smith
    hace 4 años

Wellness depends entirely on one's perspective, personality and energy.

For me, the most important factors. include a sense of humor (a positive outlook) and the fewest number of rules to follow when it comes to my home and me.

But I have had to learn this over many years of changing circumstances.

I used to have what I now realize were quite rigid rules about furniture, table settings, clothing, timing, whatever. Easy when it's only you, but if you want to include children, dogs, spur-of-the-moment visitors and new inhabitants into your life, you must learn to bend -- sometimes way beyond your comfort zone.

Having young relatives who you want to visit you (right?) requires flexibility. They do NOT use utensils properly. They don't even necessarily like to sit at the table to eat or play.

They also take food into the living room, where the velvet chairs are. EEEEK!

So, I decided to lighten up the decor and now have washable, stain resistant indoor/outdoor fabric slipcovers over the velvet -- and, frankly, I also decided the kids are a lot more important than as furniture! Those miracle fabrics also accommodate pets who think cushy velvet chairs are great, too!

Believe it or not, a serious illness can also help you to lighten things up!

When you don't have the energy to fuss, dust, vacuum and freshen up your house, you just learn to not do it and not worry about it either. Suddenly, when you are faced with drop-in-with-no-warning guests who want to make you feel better, you just relax and enjoy their company and hope they didn't bring along their white gloves.

As for rules to follow in decorating, here goes: There is none, really.

No rule that says you MUST paint ceilings white! Or only use pastels for the walls. The best dining rooms, I have found, are a painted a very intense color, like red or electric blue. Those colors stimulate conversation On the other hand, if you are a nervous host, a taupe dining room will probably be a better color for you.

Things also do not have to match. We do not live in museums any more. Think of all those French rococo sitting rooms in fancy decorating magazines... Or "Early (when was that?) American." Even all mid-century modern can get boring. Add something "foo foo" like a fake fur pillow and see what that does for your environment. Think Bohemian. Again, personality prevails. It all takes practice and flexibility.

If your sense of well being, wellness, calm, depends on no clutter -- clear the decks. Make sure you have plenty of room for all the dishes, glasses, pots and pans to be in drawers and behind closed doors in the kitchen.

Me? I like to see what I've got. I am stimulated by stuff -- books, framed art, not framed art. Sculpture (including wonderful flower vases that look good without flowers), kids' art, my different dishes, glasses, flower arrangements. I want to see them all the time, everywhere.

The sense of humor helps in any room. A huge print of frolicking otters on a wall by the tub, might encourage little ones to take a bath more frequently. When they get older, bring back the Renoir, Warhol or something they pick!

In the kitchen a painting of a luscious piece of pie, a colorful serving platter hung on a wall -- or a bowl of beautiful pears. Edible art!

Common sense rules. If you are highly allergic, carpet isn't a good thing for your home. If you need assistance walking, better forget about rugs. Likewise, deep and low seating is meant for the young and agile.

Think "multi-generation-friendly" when tweaking, adjusting your environment.

Have pieces of furniture in every room for specific needs. A shallow dining chair height chair, not too soft and squishy, will be perfect for people who can't get out of a low sofa without a block and tackle. These people, by the way include not those of any age with physical limitations, but also a very pregnant woman. Anything goes for most everybody else. Children love ottomans because they are like mini mountains! Most of my older friends avoid them like the plague.

More than anything, that invisible element called comfort, admittedly different for everyone, is an important factor. Consider the climate, too. Plush upholstery and flooring is rather out of place in Arizona where temps frequently climb beyond 100 F.

In Alaska, probably the opposite, so pile on the plush.

Another invisible element is music. I once told a frantic mother of two manic boys to change (Help! Alexa!) to something classical during dinner. She thought I was crazy until she did it. Hmmm, no more food fights. No more arguing. Amazing what classical guitar, rather than heavy metal guitar, can do for a home.

No rules, though!

• julietrottier14
    hace 4 años

My formal living room is a yoga studio. At first it was because I couldn’t afford furniture for that room and it wasn’t a priority because I have a family room. Now I don’t want furniture in there and I love having that dedicated space for my yoga practice.

• annnw3
    hace 4 años

(1) good food and drink and good friends with whom to share them (2) plenty of natural light (3) no clutter but some precious pieces (4) beautiful views from every window (5) books and music.

• PRO
    Lion Windows and Doors
    hace 4 años

All of these and more! This designer's blog has really good advice on wellness at home: Green Blog

• Mrs Pete
    hace 4 años

Yes to natural light.

A pleasant kitchen that encourages you to cook /is a comfortable place to cook.

A neighborhood or area that encourages you to walk; a safe neighborhood so you'll feel safe going out to walk.

Everything easy to clean.

Ample storage so you're not constantly moving things to reach what you want.

• Erika
    hace 4 años

We maximize natural light.

We minimize the use of harsh chemicals for cleaning.

We try to keep the house clutter free and clean, and arrange furniture and storage to make upkeep easy. For example, items are stored close to the areas they're used. Frequently used items are stored within easy reach. We regularly go through closets and cabinets to donate unnecessary items. Furniture is arranged for proper flow and movement through the house. Very little is kept on the floor and furniture is kept to a functional minimum for easy floor cleaning.

We don't follow the latest trends. We decorate and choose colors and styles according to OUR personal preference to make the space feel personal and homey.

With that said, I love dark, cool and natural colors. I use a lot of blues and greens to contrast our warm, natural wood work. This sets a comfortable and soothing tone for my home.

We make space for exercise, such as yoga.

We have many ways to listen to and play music, to keep the mind and heart enriched. I carved out a corner of the living room to practice my violin. We have a nice record player or the TV hooked up to the Chromecast to play our collection of radio stations or classical music records.

Lots and lots of book shelves, stocked with literature of all kinds, from classics to more modern works, to science text books and language dictionaries.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.