Houzz Logo Print
ellenjackson0905

Entire shower wall in marble basketweave mosaic?

Ellen Jackson
hace 4 años
última modificación:hace 4 años

Hoping for some opinions/advice/photographs. We are redoing our master bathroom and trying to match tile with extra marble we have from our kitchen renovation (marble slabs are below - the two vanity tops would be made out of material in the top left of each photo).

We've selected a 12x24 linen texture tile in grey for the floor, 4x10 glossy white subway tile for the shower walls, and a basketweave mosaic in marble for the shower floor. Our designer suggested that we consider using the same basketweave for an entire wall of the shower (our shower has two glass walls and two walls would be tiled).

I love the idea because I'm worried the subway tile will be boring by itself, but I can't envision the whole wall being done in a basketweave. I've searched for photos of this and haven't found anything that can help me visualize what he suggests. Anyone done this before (and have photos), have opinions, or other suggestions?

Comentarios (14)

• AJCN
    hace 4 años

We did an entire floor-to-ceiling wall of mosaic in our shower. It's beautiful IMO, but in a totally different color scheme than your white/marble plan. I love it. The best thing is that we put the mosaic on the wall that is most visible when you walk into the bathroom, so it is on display every time we walk in and it just makes me smile. If you place this large accent wall in a way that it is the first thing you see, it could be a really nice look.

• Ellen Jackson
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

AJCN - do you have a photograph of your shower? I haven't been able to find a photograph so I'm having trouble envisioning what it would look like. It seems like all of the photos I find are niches, mosaic bands, or a picture cutout....never the whole wall!

• tatts
    hace 4 años

Ellen: It's a shower with 2 tile walls and 2 glass walls. There are a jillion identical shower photos online.

• PRO
    Maraya Interior Design
    hace 4 años

Do the basket weave on the wall too. Listen to your designer. there is a picture right here on the right of your stream. I'll grab it and send to you.

• AJCN
    hace 4 años

Ellen, I'm not a very good photagrapher, but I'll try to post a pic tomorrow.

• PRO
    Maraya Interior Design
    hace 4 años

yours will be much more subtle, pretty.

• PRO
    Maraya Interior Design
    hace 4 años

Marble, no problem for shower. Make sure you read the labels on the cleaners you use. some are very harmful to marble. Not good to use marble for a steam shower. I have marble in my own shower, as, why not? I like the real thing! why go fake?

• AJCN
    hace 4 años

Ellen, even though this is not your color scheme, it shows you how a whole mosaic wall might look. We went for a dark floor, light gray wall tiles, and a white/green/gray moaic wall. When we open the bathroom door, the first thing we see is the "pretty wall." If you're going to splurge on a mosaic for a whole wall, try to make sure it is front and center - the first thing you see when you walk into the bathroom.

• PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
    hace 4 años

If well balanced with the rest of the space, basket weave can look amazing and be the perfect focus point. Your local bathroom showrooms should have a 3D design software that can help you envision the space, and actually see it. They usually offer this service for free if you buy products from them.

• thinkdesignlive
    hace 4 años

https://www.houzz.com/photos/calacatta-vintage-modern-bathroom-new-york-phvw-vp~43266964

Mixing tiles is an art. So far what you’ve posted looks like it could work - what size subway and color coordinating with the mosaic will be the key.

• Ellen Jackson
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

thinkdesignlive- thank you for the link. This photo (and one of the "similar ideas that came up) help me visualize the basketweave. Despite extensive searching, these photos never came up for me. I think it could work too, but I agree mixing tile is an art (and I am no expert!).

AJCN - thanks for the photo. This is exactly what he is suggesting. I was concerned that two completely different tiles would look choppy, but yours look great. The focal wall absolutely makes the shower.

• loobab
    hace 2 años

There are cons to using marble in an area with high water exposure.

https://www.kitchensbathsunlimited.com/blog/is-marble-a-good-choice-for-shower-walls-and-floors

is you "designer" a bathroom designer?

I bet not, or he/she would have discussed this with you in detail.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.