Houzz Logo Print
c9pilot

Elevator Advice, please

c9pilot
hace 4 años
última modificación:hace 4 años

We are trying to figure out where to put an elevator modification to the permitted plans on a lot in the Florida Keys and could use recommendations for (or against) any manufacturers, installers, or basic advice from those who have gone before.

I‘ve read some previous threads but they were mostly pro/con and this is a “go”. Stairlift is not an option. This is the start to making the home truly wheelchair-accessible, not an “aging-in-place” type plan. Bathroom plans next but that will be another thread. And then kitchen of course.

Thanks, friends!

Comentarios (17)

• artemis_ma
    hace 4 años

CPArtist will no doubt see this post. She lives in south Florida and has put one in her home.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 4 años

Check other local projects that have elevators to see what and who they used.

• new-beginning
    hace 4 años

inside the home or on the outside?

• di0spyr0s
    hace 4 años

Following

• qam999
    hace 4 años

Safety devices to prevent anyone ever being trapped, including power outages and loss of consciousness of a single user.

• cpartist
    hace 4 años

Sorry I won't recommend our elevator installers. I'll ask our inspector whom he might recommend.

• c9pilot
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

We don’t live there and don’t know of any other homes that have elevators installed in the area. We are hoping this will add appeal to our home as a seasonal rental over others.

Depending on the dimensions, it is likely to be inside the ground level garage but opening outside on a patio on the 1st level. It will only work on the back side of the house and that’s all patio.

cpartist - I’ve read up on your home and elevator, but could you briefly say why you wouldn’t recommend your installers if it’s something I should look out for? And would you recommend a specific brand?

• cpartist
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Two of our three elevator installers were just as incompetent as the rest of the subs our builder hired. The elevator stopped working several times and eventually the whole brand new pump had to be replaced after 90 year old friends got stuck upstairs (thankfully not in the elevator) but they had to walk downstairs carefully.

• c9pilot
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Anybody have experience with Stiltz lifts?

• weedyacres
    hace 4 años

Inclinator has been around a long time and makes good residential elevators.

• JP Haus
    hace 4 años

Our 3-stop elevator was made by the Residential Elevator Company. It's HQ is in FL; I think it's in Tallahassee but am not positive. After over a decade, we're still pleased with it. So far it's needed the back-up battery replaced only once. It has a 900 (or 950 - too lazy to go verify) lb. capacity and is large enough to hold a person in a wheelchair plus at least two others standing.

Over night guests park in our basement level garage and use the elevator to haul their luggage to the second floor. We've used it to move furniture and each year we move our artificial Christmas trees from a storage room in the basement where they can remain set up under old sheets. I now use it almost daily due to some mobility problems that developed in my fifties.

If you're interested in the Stiltz elevator, check out YouTube for a video of a self-install job by a young husband and his helper. It was impressive.

• cpartist
    hace 4 años

I believe Keywest also put in an elevator in FL by Residential Elevator Co. (Wish we had!)

• Ron Natalie
    hace 4 años

I have a three landing elevator from Garaventa. We don't "need" it yet, but boy am I glad we have it. We have had some aged house guests (as well as an aged dog) that have made use of it. We've gotten big on carts. Much easier to put stuff on a cart and send it up int he elevator than to lug it on the stairs.

Most of the residential units are pretty much the same. They are a platform that cilmbs a set of rails mounted to a stout wall on one side of the shaft. Either a electric winding drum or hydrualic motor moves it.

In the event of power problems, you can always open the doors from the inside (you need to know how). A "key" opens the hoistway doors from the outside. I've got a UPS in it PLUS there's a manual lowering device if you go to the top floor. Further, since have a generator, I'm not overly concerned.

• PRO
    Stiltz of Southwest Texas
    hace 4 años

A Stiltz lift may be a decent option given the limited space you mention. The opening on the patio would need to be enclosed or even a closet could work so to protect it from elements. They will provide their own trained installers.

• sprink1es
    hace 4 años

Did you decide on the drive system for the elevator? Hydraulic is most common but I've read not to use them on the coast due to salt ruining the ram seals

I put one in my home, and my favorite part of it is that it connects to my garage as well (2-way cab). Even if not needed physically, I can't tell you how many times we have used it for moving furniture, heavy seasonal totes, packing for travel I toss our bags right into the cab from our bedroom and send it straight to the garage...

• c9pilot
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

This is the one we've ended up with. There was no way to modify the plans to include an internal elevator, which I would have preferred. And there is pretty much only one installer for the lower/middle Keys, but at least our builder has worked with them before. And there is only one possible spot to put this lift in the plans, and we just barely meet the Monroe County code requirements, which are insane.

https://www.savaria.com/products/wheelchair-lifts/v-1504-lift

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.