Houzz Logo Print
lee_knights

Kitchen paint colours what to go with?

Lee Knights
hace 4 años
última modificación:hace 4 años

Hi all,

I'm going to moving into a flat soon. The flat will need re decorating with one of the rooms being the kitchen. I'd like to paint the kitchen units, and walls.

Something that will put more light into the room.

What colours can you recommend for the kitchen units and walls?

Photo of the kitchen is attached.

Before Decorating · Más información

Comentarios (11)

• rinked
    hace 4 años

Start with a good cleanse and primer, because your cabinets look like foil (use plastic primer). I'd say a either a warm or cool medium grey on the lower cabinets and white on your uppers, walls and ceiling. Make sure to use a durable kitchen/exterior paint for those walls above the countertop and probably place a splashback panel behind the cooktop (tiles or glass would be lovely, but expensive).

If you have some budget and the cabinets themselves are in good shape, you could look for a kitchen company that does new doors (melamine with abs edge banding). We do this quite often and it costs about a third of a new kitchen. But only do this if your kitchen cabinets and especially drawers are likely to last another ten years or so. Great oppurtunity to change the handles (and their location!) too.

What's up with that 15cm cabinet and especially below it (toekick looks strange)?

And what material are the countertops? Are they ok?

• Lee Knights
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Hi thanks for your advice. If they are foil cabinets will i need to sand them?

• Beth Jones
    hace 4 años

Hey, I think in small spaces making a kitchen lighter colours can really open the space up.

This is what we did with ours!

Before:

After:

It's not for everyone of course but we stuck with light cabinets and light worktops!

If your kitchen is small like ours maybe you want to look at lighter colours/pastels/light greys/whites/creams?

x

• Juliet Docherty
    hace 4 años

In my opinion, the two surfaces most likely to sap light out of a space in a kitchen are worktops and floors and yours are both black - I would focus on these. The kitchen units are currently an imitation pale wood, if these were painted then you could replace the worktops with a pale laminate or real wood which isn't too expensive. I would also replace the floor if possible.

• Lee Knights
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Wow these designs look great! Thanks all :) . Is it easier to clean laminate flooring or tiled flooring?

Maths Wife - The design looks great how did you do that ? Also is that a splashback under the wall cupboards?

• rinked
    hace 4 años

Would advise against laminate, as it would raise your floor. I agree your floors and counters would both look better in a lighter color, but in that case I'd save for a new kitchen. Some paint will freshen up the kitchen for now.

• PRO
    Paintforme
    hace 4 años

Hi Lee,

Use white to enlarge and tidy the room, yellow to add happiness or green to calm. Don't go red as this would increase your appetite as well as heart rate.

Good luck with the project!

Need help with painting and decorating? Contact Paintforme!

• Lee Knights
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Hi rinq, what do you mean it would raise the floor ? I think for the time being it might be out of budget ( budget being around £300-£400 to make changes) for a new kitchen.

• Maths Wife
    hace 4 años

HI Lee, I used Photoshop...........yes that's glass, but it would be out of budget. You can use acrylic just not behind a hob, that's much cheaper. Or tile it. Laminate would be easiest to clean. I can't comment on the height change as I can't really tell what you have at the moment as it's too dark.

• rinked
    hace 4 años

Lee, if you're placing laminate on tile you'll need a subfloor. Hence the height.

And when removing the tile, you're best off putting in new tiles. Or equalize and pvc/lino.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.