Houzz Logo Print
shelbycrow86

Vent Hood placement

shelbycrow86
hace 4 años

Thoughts on the placement of my vent hood Please.

The vent hood seems a small for the space, and I’m debating with my husband on if the vent hood should go to the ceiling? Something is off for sure. We chose to have a little space between the cabinets and the vent hood on the side to help with cleaning purposes....now I feel like it’s too much space on the sides. I do have 10 foot ceilings. Unfortunately, it wasn’t in the budget to bring the cabinets to the ceiling, but we plan on doing that eventually. Thoughts?

Comentarios (10)

• PRO
    Tristan Gary Designs
    hace 4 años

I often caution clients when they focus on 1 thing before the space is done. But in this case I am going to say that you are correct. The hood should definitely be larger than the cooktop surface for proper ventilation. But sometimes I will leave space between the hood and the cabinetry if I am doing a beautiful backsplash all the way to the ceiling.

• Usuario de Houzz-161159613
    hace 4 años

I think to the ceiling and it will look great. Also, I think your cabinets look fine not extended to ceiling.

• Marta
    hace 4 años

I agree that it would look better going all the way to the ceiling. So would the cabinets, but budget (I understand)...

• shelbycrow86
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

The hubby is saying if the Vent hood is moved to the ceiling it will look “off” because you will be able to see directly Underneath it? He said the problem is we have 10 foot ceilings. All this is making my head spin.

• live_wire_oak
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

You don’t move the vent hood up. You create a larger chimney area. But that is moot since it’s much too small to begin with. Just having the chimney go up the ceiling won’t be enough. You need a larger range top and a larger hood both.

• M Miller
    hace 4 años

The width of the hood is more troublesome to me aesthetically than the chimney not meeting the ceiling. I agree you need a wider hood for the proportion to look right width-wise, plus it provides better exhaust if your hood is 6” wider than your cooktop. Regarding the space between the chimney and the ceiling, if you decide you don’t want that space, then, as mentioned, you don’t move the whole hood up, you just extend the chimney part to meet the ceiling.

I actually think you should scrap the fussy cabinetry hood, and install a stainless steel pyramid or canopy shape hood, with its chimney meeting the ceiling. You’ve got a lot of white cabinets there; it would look good to break up the mass of white with some stainless steel. If you decide to go that route, get one that is 6” wider than the cooktop. Furthermore, the correct distance between the cooktop and the bottom of the hood is between 30“ and 36”, not lower, not higher.

• shirlpp
    hace 4 años

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    hace 4 años

How far is the bottom of the hood from the cooktop? If it's mounted on the low end of the mfr's specs, maybe you could move it up a couple of inches, without necessitating a rebuild. It looks a little low to me--other than that, I think it's fine.

• shelbycrow86
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks mama goose! I was thinking moving it up a bit would help also. I was also thinking of adding a thicker piece of wood to make it a little wider at the bottom. At this point I don’t have the funds to start from scratch. i have to work with what I have. Appreciate the comment.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.