Houzz Logo Print
kaitlyn_kirk99

Help - What type of wood finish does our space need?

Kaitlyn Kirk
hace 4 años

So we've recently completed a renovation where we really brightened up a 70s home and opened up the floor plan. We're now faced with finding furniture that fits in well. In some rooms (i.e. the master bed) we already have furniture and we are just rolling with it - but for most of the living/dining/kitchen area we will be getting new stuff.

What color/finish of furniture do you think would work well? The walls are SW Mild Blue, floors are a whitewashed wood look, cabinets are white and navy. I want to avoid overly weathered/gray furniture because it gives the space a REALLY "beach cottage" vibe & it gets a little monotone. I'm also not a huge fan of white furniture - we have a tricolor corgi and her black fur shows up the worst on white furniture. But furniture with a white base and wood finish top would be on the table (no pun intended). Also - ignore the furniture that's already in place.

Suggestions?

(Apologies for the pictures, we literally JUST "finished" haha)

Comentarios (26)

• PRO
    Rustic Elements Furniture
    hace 4 años

We have noticed with past customers that walnut works well in their 'blue' space!

• Kaitlyn Kirk
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you Rustic Elements - we are leaning towards walnut currently - it looks so nice with the navy!

• Kaitlyn Kirk
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

RL Relocation LLC - Ooh I hadn't thought about metal based furniture - cool idea!

• everdebz
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

The blue rug makes sense with blue bottoms. But the soft greys-- depends what you add in same room... if you want to repeat the coppery pendants, a lighter than walnut stain would allow more visual attention to those accents - walnut everywhere could detract with darkness.

Just mentioning that chalk paint on coffee table's legs could alter it to your liking.

Kaitlyn Kirk agradeció a everdebz
  • everdebz
    hace 4 años

Are you using the blue chair?...

Linda Table Lamp, Brushed Copper · Más información

Chandra Stella STE-52048, Area Rug, 8'x10' · Más información

Pandora Copper One-Light Table Lamp · Más información

"Charging Bull Hand Painted Oil" Canvas Artwork, 48"x36" · Más información

https://www.houzz.com/products/linda-table-lamp-brushed-copper-prvw-vr~72861959

• everdebz
    hace 4 años

Big picture - also style of ceiling fan - area seems ready for transitional. With vintage-inspired items, you don't have to have walnut...?

John-Richard Tellulah Coastal Global Blue Floral Brass Table Lamp · Más información

Bassford Hand Painted Bamboo Trim Navy Table Lamp · Más información

• everdebz
    hace 4 años

Light blue walls --

Underneath it All #2, Original, Painting · Más información

Safavieh White Ceramic Paris Lamp, Navy · Más información

Island Sunset · Más información

https://www.houzz.com/products/safavieh-white-ceramic-paris-lamp-navy-prvw-vr~116739350?lid=41821566

• Ellen Tracy
    hace 4 años

Nice open space there. Where are you putting the tv?

• Kaitlyn Kirk
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Yay! Thank you for all the ideas everdebz! I plan to refinish the coffee table - it has a beautiful marble top - just didn't want anyone getting distracted by it's existing color. I will probably use the chair (might stain the legs), but not in the area with the fireplace - I have an office space towards the front of the house where I'll probably put it (near where the floor lamp is).

Ellen Tracy, the TV will be against the wall that's barely visible on the far left in the first picture. The TV stand is one of the major things I'm wanting to figure out - as well as the dining table.

• Kaitlyn Kirk
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Also I realllllly like the idea of transitional design. I am a sucker for good vintage/retro finds, but equally a sucker for trends!

• everdebz
    hace 4 años

Idk about how old the idea is of different look for uppers/bottoms - but you can say already that you're on trend... ? ;-)

and is brick washed some?

• Kaitlyn Kirk
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Haha yes, that's definitely trendy! I lightly washed the brick - mostly focusing on the grout, which was a super nasty brown/gray.

• everdebz
    hace 4 años

If some item reminds you of brick feel [hmm?] - cozy something... as you said.... a really practical rug:

Royal Empire Throw Peacock · Más información

GDF Studio Ezra Classic Fabric Club Chair, Navy Blue · Más información

https://www.houzz.com/products/royal-empire-throw-peacock-prvw-vr~47392765

• Kaitlyn Kirk
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

You're a wealth of ideas! I love it!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    hace 4 años

Might go on blue over load here........

I think since the main task is the tv console and the table we should start there. For the sofa than facing the tv wall perhaps two chairs across from the sofa to be around the fireplace. wall mount the tv on a pull out so you can get it closer to you from the couch... how big is your tv? I was thinking maybe to be different instead of a bunch of blue furniture and blue rugs a dark navy tv console to tie it to the kitchen and then camel color sofa or cream, with two swivel chairs.

• Kaitlyn Kirk
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I like the idea of a navy tv console, too. I'm not sure how big the TV is - we are picking it up from a friend and that's my husband's domain - but like the idea of a pull-out mount a lot.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    hace 4 años

or you could find a vintage piece and paint it with the same paint color the cabinets are..just an idea to get you out of the cookie cutter blue chairs and wood console..

• calidesign
    hace 4 años

I wouldn't get carried away with too much blue. Use the navy in pillows, artwork, OR rug. Otherwise I would look for beiges/creams/tans in a variety of textures for your furniture. I agree with others that darker woods will look great in your space, similar to your floor lamp. This example shows the one blue chair with lighter furniture, a rug similar to your floor color, and darker wood end tables.

Wilton Whole Home Renovation · Más información

Kaitlyn Kirk agradeció a calidesign
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    hace 4 años

I totally agree ^^ texture will be your friend here.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    hace 4 años

Kaitlyn Kirk agradeció a RL Relocation LLC
  • Kaitlyn Kirk
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

This has been awesome! Thanks everyone for your input! Lots of things to consider!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 4 años

Medium Oak Stain and patterned rugs

Kaitlyn Kirk agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • everdebz
    hace 4 años

Bringing in the brick color - what if whatever furniture is against light blue wall is a floor color: linen/beige, whatever.

good reviews...

Vintage Fringe Rug, Blue, 8'x10' · Más información

https://www.houzz.com/products/vintage-fringe-rug-blue-8x10-prvw-vr~134017654

• everdebz
    hace 4 años

Was thinking about ceiling fan - I like but wouldn't want rolled arm sofa - maybe this style? a gray that doesn't lean at all into beige-khaki-warm, to blend well with flooring, a large surface in the room.

Universal Upholstery Curated 883501-810 Kingsley Sofa, Gray Finish · Más información

https://www.houzz.com/products/universal-upholstery-curated-883501-810-kingsley-sofa-gray-finish-prvw-vr~139029507

• everdebz
    hace 4 años

Instead of this stainless steel look...

Universal Furniture Curated Connor Sofa, Grey Cloud Velvet · Más información

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.