Houzz Logo Print
shannon_ebron

Granite backsplash, tile or both

Shannon Ebron
hace 4 años

Hello fellow Houzzers! I have a backsplash dilemma and my granite installer is coming tomorrow to do the templates for my kitchen countertops. Originally I thought I wanted a simple 4" granite backsplash but after looking at numerous pictures online I now definitely want to go with tile around the main kitchen countertops. My question is what to do with the 5' desk/storage area that sits by itself on another wall. The more I look at it I am not sure I will like tile over that area. I think that area may look better with a 4" backsplash and painted wall. I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas on what to do with the space. Would it look crazy to have the main countertops area tiled and not the 5' desk area? The granite I chose is Fantasy Brown, the cabinets are BM Dove White, and the tile will be a simple 3x6 subway tile (similar to the one pictured). Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

Comentarios (20)

• Greg P.
    hace 4 años

Be consistent in the space. Same counter tops and same backsplash treatment throughout. You’ll be glad you did.

• stillpitpat
    hace 4 años

I think you could do tile *or* paint the area by the desk. If you paint it the same color as the walls, it's not introducing anything new.

• lindahambleton
    hace 4 años

I like Angel’s idea

• catbuilder
    hace 4 años

No backsplash at all on the desk. Have you thought about doing a wood countertop for the desk?

• Kristin S
    hace 4 años

What about doing a cork board backsplash for the desk?

• juliehauger
    hace 4 años

I definitely think the subway tile would be too much white above the desk.....the paint will add color...You could even get a little bit larger bulletin board and have fun with it. I love the picture in the dining room by the way....

• Bunny
    hace 4 años

No backsplash behind the desk. Unless you'll be splashing ink around, it just isn't functional, and that's why it would look odd.

• et phonehome
    hace 4 años

I would either put a 4" backslash or told behind the desk. I don't think it would look finished without anything to cover the seam between the wall and the counter

• PRO
    N Dobos Architecture
    hace 4 años

I personally never do 4” backsplash. Pick a tile for kitchen area walls and paint the wall by the desk - no backsplash is needed there.

• Shannon Ebron
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you all for your input suggestions! The granite installer just left with my final measurements and we are not doing a granite backsplash over the desk. We will paint and get a new board! I can't wait until my install day!

• Bunny
    hace 4 años

Fantastic, Shannon. Don't forget to post photos when it's done.

• PRO
    Jenni Leasia Interior Design
    hace 4 años

We think it might be best to be consistent and do the same granite in both areas, and also do the same backsplash in both areas.

Riverfront · Más información

Quail Ridge · Más información

Colonial Heights · Más información

• cpartist
    hace 4 años

I'm one who will disagree. I would have definitely done a backsplash behind the desk and the tile behind the rest. If the desk wall is off at all, it will show.

• Shannon Ebron
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Granite is installed and I love it! Such a change in the kitchen. I can't wait to pull everything together with the perfect tile. Cabinets are BM White Dove so now my dilemma becomes finding the perfect tile. I am going to start looking for samples this weekend. I am thinking some shade of white would look best. The granite has a lot of grey in it but I don't think I'd be happy with grey backsplash. I

• Shannon Ebron
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

And more pictures.

• teddytoo
    hace 4 años

The counter top is beautiful and your springer is just the cutest! For your backsplash with the white cabinets a hint of color to a glass tile that matches the colors in the countertop or an interesting design in white would be the way I would go. I love white subway but it seems like your kitchen might go very bland. It’s obvious from your fabulous artwork that you are not a bland person.

• felizlady
    hace 4 años

Paint over the desk area would be okay, but because it’s in the kitchen, a matching backsplash might look better. I solved my backsplash issues by using the same granite as my new counters for all the backsplash areas, counter-to-cabinet, including over the side-by-side ranges. A talented granite fabricator can work your slabs to get the best directional continuity of your grain pattern.

• Angel 18432
    hace 4 años

New counter looks lovely. Bring home samples, see samples in your kitchen, in your lighting situations (day and night), with your cabinets and your flooring.

• Molly D. Zone4B
    hace 4 años

Nice- wait for response from Beth on here about a backsplash. She will find you something simple yet unique.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.