Houzz Logo Print
lesley_baradel

Kitchen Island lighting for 63" wide x 76" long

Lesley Baradel
hace 4 años

My kitchen island is going to be 63" wide and 76" long. I am not sure how many pendants to put over the width of 63". 2 or 3? And how big can they be in diameter?

Comentarios (25)

• live_wire_oak
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

That isn’t a proportionate island. Redesign it to be narrower in one dimension. Square is bad for use, and for lighting. And for cleaning.

• Lesley Baradel
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

The dimensions are not ideal but this is where we ended up bc I wanted some seating at the end. It is actually about 5x5 but has a 15" overhang for seating.

• Lesley Baradel
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

It will be fine...I am just so happy to have an island!

• vinmarks
    hace 4 años

Ae you going to be able to reach the middle of that island to clean it? I know I wouldn't be able to.

• Lesley Baradel
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Yes. I am tall!!

• PRO
    Lights Online
    hace 4 años

We have advice about pendants!

For sizing them: Measure the width or diameter of the surface and then subtract 12 from that number. That's the maximum limit for the width or diameter of a hanging light in inches.

For spacing them, that's based on the length of the island. Small islands (4 to 5 feet long) can handle 1 large or 2 medium pendants. Large islands (6 feet and longer) can handle 2 large or 3 medium pendants. Using 3 pendants is very pleasing to the eye.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

• cawaps
    hace 4 años

If your island is too long to be illuminated with one pendant, then it is also too wide to be illuminated by just one pendant. That is, two or three pendants lined up in a row is not going to illuminate the entire island surface. So... do you want to only illuminate the working side of the island and leave the seating side unlit? Or do you want to light the whole thing? If the whole thing, I don't know if pendants are the right option for you.

• Sara
    hace 4 años

Do you have can lighting too? We do, so I’m thinking our pendants are a little extra lighting and kitchen jewelry, more than task lighting :).

• Lesley Baradel
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Yes, Sara. We will have cans as well so, truthfully, it is more about aesthetics than functionality.

• Buehl
    hace 4 años

Is everyone in your family tall or do the at least have very long arms? If not, you're going to be stuck cleaning the island every time.

I also have to question why the island needs to be so deep to accommodate seating on the end? You only need 48" of depth to have seating on a short end.

Also, be aware that if you have full-depth cabinets under the seating overhang, they won't be very accessible. I would recommend no more than 18"D cabinets under a seating overhang. You won't be able to utilize drawers or roll out tray shelves (ROTS) for about the top 1/3 of the cabinets b/c the overhang will block access, so you will have to use stationary shelves.

Did a professional Kitchen Designer (not cabinet salesperson) design the island?

• Lesley Baradel
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

The island is actually modeled off of my friend's island and the design is totally fine and functional. However, I don't like how she did her lighting so that is the one thing that I need to figure out. Lots of people are worried about cleaning which makes me curious bc the middle of island is about 30" in and my arms are a bit more than 24" long so this does not even have one bit of a concern for me.

• Lesley Baradel
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Geez. This string is tough with alot of harsh comments.... What I would say Green Designs, is that I have used my friend's space for about 5 years now and it works perfectly for me, for her, and for the MANY MANY MANY parties she throws. So, maybe be a little forgiving in how you comment.

• mark1993
    hace 4 años

Hi Lesley, we are in the process of a new custom build with an island to measure 60 inches by 67 inches without any seating. It will have a prep sink, microwave drawer, and wine fridge. I am going to most likely choose one very large fixture. I have several possibilities in mind that I have seen.

• Lesley Baradel
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I will have a prep sink, trash can and 2 deep drawers on either side...one will hold my plates and bowls instead of having them up high in a cabinet. So, looks like I am not so crazy. Yours is almost the same as mine. Do you know what diameter you will go for in your fixture?

• mark1993
    hace 4 años

I read and was also told that 12 inches shorter than the length is the maximum diameter. This means I can go up to 4 feet if I use the slightly shorter side of my almost square island. Mine will sit inside of a u shaped kitchen. BTW, my island was originally drawn at 72-78 inches square. I did not want a seam in the countertop.

• Lesley Baradel
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Great info. I think I will get the island in and then make the decision. The slabs from my manufacturer are standard 133 inches long and 79 wide so I will not have a seam in mine in either direction.

• mark1993
    hace 4 años

Lesley, May I ask where you sourced slabs of that size? Thank you.

• Lesley Baradel
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

MSI Stone is the manufacturer but they sell everywhere. They have a huge showroom where I live and I am able to go and pick out the exact slab that I want from the warehouse. But, they are carried by lots of places that sell countertops, etc. They have a great website. www.msistone.com

• mark1993
    hace 4 años

Thank you! I went to the website and there is a showroom near me.

• User
    hace 4 años

what is it that you don't like about the lighting of your friend's island? Since you are tall (I am) does it bother you to have unshaded light bulbs near eye level? What kind of mood will fit your kitchen and your family best -- add sparkle? Add sophistication? Add warmth? Add history? And is this a splurge purchase or do you want it price friendly?

• CGinNoCO
    hace 4 años

First of all, just do a search on Houzz for "large kitchen islands" and see what comes up. Mine in 93 X 39 and I have three small pendants. Personally, I think it's wise to go for more light. If it's too much you can always put it on a dimmer. Also, as we age we need more light. Consider smart bulbs, which are expensive but incredibly versatile. You can get colored ones which are great for mood lighting, dimmers and turning on and off on a schedule.

Lesley Baradel agradeció a CGinNoCO
  • Kimmarie Doherty
    hace 4 años

We just completed our kitchen reno with a a 86 x 51 surface and used 2 large pendants to supplement the can lights. The lights we went with our 18" wide and provide plenty of coverage.

Lesley Baradel agradeció a Kimmarie Doherty
  • PRO
    Light Works Design
    hace 4 años

I would suggest using the pendants you like, whether it's 2 or 3, based on size, or select a linear style fixture for a true statement piece. Add some small recess lights either in between of where the pendants are on the ceiling or create a small grid pattern that mimics the island shape, especially to give you plenty of light for tasks. Consider 3" recess lights with adjustable beam angles that will allow you to direct the light beam onto the island. I would also suggest putting the recess over the island on a different switch/dimmer from the pendants.

Lesley Baradel agradeció a Light Works Design
  • PRO
    Neptune Lighting Design
    hace 4 años

I think large Islands are great , I have clients who have very large islands . I agree with Sand piper homes . Large pendants will give your kitchen a great look and it will be within the appropriate scale .

Lesley Baradel agradeció a Neptune Lighting Design
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.