Houzz Logo Print
toxdocar

Teal island with darker perimeter cabinets? (Possibly SW Oceanside)

ToxDocAR
hace 4 años
última modificación:hace 4 años

Well, I started a post then I lost it, so trying again. I had to have my wood (timberona) floors replaced ~ 2 years ago. I continued with the only Timberona flooring I could find because I have the same wood upstairs. The new wood is a bit darker and does not have as much variation as my previous, resulting in my floor and cabinets matching too well! I would like to break up all the wood and paint my island. I am thinking something like teal.

Sorry, this is an older photo of my kitchen I had saved on my computer. I now have SS bar pulls, and a gray backsplash (like below). I plan to paint the kitchen/living area walls SW Functional Gray (or similar). My countertop is possibly Santa Cecilia, which is warm with a bit of golden, beige, cream, and a tiny bit of gray.

I see Oceanside was SW color of the year in 2018. I am hoping some have started using it. I read that it may work well with both cool and warm tones.

(my very woody kitchen before flooring was laid)

Backsplash like this

SW Oceanside with some warmer woods

photo of granite that looks like mine

Comentarios (12)

• PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    hace 4 años

Unless you have a tremendous amount of outside light flooding your kitchen, I would not go for a darker island with wall cabinets that are already dark. Yes, Oceanside is a lovely color, but very, very dark...more so than i would like to see in your kitchen. Look instead at SW6493 Ebbtide or 6494 Lakeshore, both on the same page (172) of the SW paint deck, and 2 to 3 shades lighter than Oceanside. I suggest you buy sample jugs of all 3 colors, paint 2 coats of each on poster board, and tape them up on the island to observe them in daylight and at night. Then let us know what you think.

Regarding your walls, gray is a color that will be fading away from fashion in a year or two, so I suggest you try instead for taupe walls, or white walls. But settle on your island color first.

• J J
    hace 4 años

following

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 4 años

what Color is your backsplash ? Looks light gray?

• thinkdesignlive
    hace 4 años

No to Oceanside with the dark grey backsplash. Have you already ordered the backsplash? If so I'd post a new photo when that is in with the new floors.

• ToxDocAR
    Autor original
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Sorry. I took a pic this morning before I left. Sun was just coming up. I would call the backsplash a medium gray. It wasn't what I had originally intended but it is what it is. The kitchen has a ton of natural light.

I was able to find a SW color deck back in storage. The Oceanside would probably be "too much". I did have some old BM swatches. The color Slate Teal is a little more muted (stuck on side of island).

I know black (or black-ish- like SW Caviar) would be a safe (and maybe even correct) choice for the island. I like black and have a good amount throughout the house. However, I wanted to consider throwing in some color to liven/brighten up the area. I was considering a teal like color because it seems to go well with both cool and warm tones (and I have both). The island is large ~5'x10'.

LOL, Looked through some of my stored photos to try to get pics with more natural lighting. So Christmas it was

I have chosen Functional Gray (or similar) because I think a warm gray/greige would work well considering I have an extremely open floor plan and rock walls (center section of house) that has a lot of gray.

Best I can do for pic of rock right now ha. This whole center section has this rock veneer.

• thinkdesignlive
    hace 4 años

The backsplash is very 'blue' gray so just stick with that exact color for your island (match the backsplash). This will be the only way to make it feel cohesive. Throwing another color (even black) isn't the way to go. I'd suggest a new runner that brings in the blue gray and warm tones of your floor (again to make it feel intentional and cohesive).

• ToxDocAR
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

It might be coming off bluer than it really is. I would consider it pretty neutral gray.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 4 años

Ok thanks for images..you should paint the island gray..it will tie in the backsplash that right now does not connect with anything....than add a big bold deep teal bowl on island for a pop of color...and a rug..look at BM Storm for island.

• zmith
    hace 4 años

Your sample photo of Oceanside looks much greener than the chips you have taped to the island. Perhaps tape the chip to your backsplash to see if they're compatible.

• PRO
    Paintzen, Inc.
    hace 4 años

I would stay away from painting your kitchen island Teal as it won't match the back splash you have. We recommend taking a look at either PPG's Colonial Aqua which is very similar to your back splash or a blue-gray like PPG's Lost at Sea which would also go well on your walls or be paired with a shade of gray. Best of luck with your project!

You can order free swatches of these PPG colors in the blues family on our website at https://samples.paintzen.com/landing/blue.

Don Torrance

Community Manager

don@paintzen.com

Paintzen

An easier way to paint your home.

www.paintzen.com

• PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    hace 4 años

I must say that the paint chips you have taped to the end of the island look much too bright! And another surprise for me was that on my screen your back splash looks slightly blue/green. Given that color suggestions based on photos on a computer screen can be way off, I suggest that

you consult with a local designer. It's possible that your paint store knows of a designer who specializes in paint colors. Sorry that i won't be able to help you with this problem.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.