Houzz Logo Print
heather_bailiff

help with tile placement in ensuite

Heather
hace 4 años

Hi all, just looking for some ideas about where to put tiles in the en-suite. Have found some absolutely gorgeous hexagonal tiles which come in various colours but just struggling to work out which colours to put where!

The room is 3m in width and 1.5m in depth. It has a sloping ceiling as it is in the loft, so the wall height for one of the 3m walls (where the door and the shower head comes out) is around 2.3m in height, the other 3m wall (where toilet is) is around 1.2m in height. There will be a 78W x 98H velux centrally.

Have attached some pics with the layout we are intending - The shower is 0.9m x 1.5m but we plan on having a built in shower seat under the lower part of the ceiling enclosed with short projecting stud wall so the actual standing floor area of shower is 0.9m x 1.0m and preference is to have it as a wet area. with the shower floor flush with the rest of the bathroom floor.

Toilet will go under the lower ceiling as will the towel radiator.

Sink directly opposite the shower and will have some built in shelving next to the sink.

We don't want to tile the entire room - mainly because of cost reasons. So currently we are thinking to tile the floor, all the walls around the shower area/shower seat, and to tile the wall directly behind the sink. The rest of the room we will paint.

We love the hexagonal tiles shown (they are suitable for both wall and floor) - especially the green and the pink ones. Wondering what peoples thoughts are on the best way of incorporating them into the bathroom - thinking green on the floor, pink on the walls? re: the shower seat, we are keen on a curved one which means we'd need to get some mosaic tile for this as larger tiles wouldn't be able to tile over a curve, so should we go for hexagonal mosaic here or maybe I was thinking more of a chevron pattern?

Thanks for any comments!

Comentarios (21)

• Heather
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks colourhappy, there are actually 2 shades of grey, the pic with the yellow chair is the lighter grey/almost white tile, the pic with the pink tiles on the wall is a bit of a darker grey.

Am wondering about either mixing the pink or the green tile with the one of the grey ones. I absolutely love the pink & green combo so:

Darker grey tiles on floor and shower floor, pink tiles on 2 main shower walls, and pink tiles on wall behind sink, with rest of walls painted dark green (although this may make room look very small)

Or

1. Lighter grey tiles on floor, green tiles on 2 main shower walls and green tiles on wall behind sink. Paint walls a plaster sort of colour so have a touch of pink
  • Juliet Docherty
    hace 4 años

Oh sorry, I'm getting really confused. There are pink and green oblong tiles and pink and green hexagonal tiles, are there? Can't tell if first image of hex tiles is grey or green and second image of hex tiles is pink! Better say what shape.

• Heather
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

These pics probably show the different colours of tiles a bit better, there is white, grey, pink, green and indigo

• Heather
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Hopefully this helps make it a bit clearer!

• Juliet Docherty
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

They are all gorgeous, this is tricky. One way of looking at it, the whole pink and green thing (which is lovely and I'm partial to it myself) may not last. Painting the walls to add the pink element could be a good plan. However, I do love image of the pink tiles with the dark walls (looks like Studio Green).

• PRO
    Plush Interiors
    hace 4 años

Love the tiles. I love The grey x

• minnie101
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

The pink with dark green walls is lovely! What else have you picked for the room. Where are the tiles from? Do they make something else that complements that could go on the shower seat?

• rinked
    hace 4 años

Could you post a floorplan of the bathroom please?

• rinked
    hace 4 años

About green walls: We've painted our dining area (open plan) a dark moss green that's somewhere between SW6167 Garden Gate and SW6181 Secret Garden (mixed it myself with some antracite and fuchsia pink after buying abit- too-much-olive-green LOL). There are two windows with offwhite trim and pale grey roller blinds in it. And I must say it doesn't look small at all. The green is só restful it visually retrieves (is that proper english?)

My advise for the seat would be to either find a perfectly matching square (or small narrow rectangle) tile or opt for the straight tilejob with the same hex and an edge. The hex isn't really a tile to add an accent tile to..

One color tile. But I'd like to see the whole layout first. :)

• Heather
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Here is floor plan rinq

• Heather
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

tried it out with a realistic image on home by me, with green walls, and pink tiles in shower and against sink wall, really like it! What does everyone think of greyish tiles for the floor? would like to have a maximum of 2 types of tile in the room. Annoyingly its showing the shower as really dark but there will be a spotlight in the shower so it won't be that dark!

• Heather
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Minnie - I saw the tiles in Al-Murad tile showroom in Leeds, also they are on a website called tiles direct.
    Haven’t chosen anything else for the room yet, was thinking a simple white pedastalbasin and closed couple toilet - was going to go for chrome brassware but just wondering with pink and green whether I can go for brushed gold brassware as really wanted brushed gold for our other bathroom but ended up going for gunmetal grey instead!

• Maths Wife
    hace 4 años

I'm with rinq on the one tile, one colour and the paint to be different. The tiles are certainly beautiful and I love the whole blush pink with green idea. However, they are fashion colours and will not stand the test of time. Bathrooms should last a minimum of 10 years ( on average ). During that time, you will want to change your accessory colours to stay in tune with the current trends. Therefore, if you go for a neutral tile, although you can combine styles of the same colours, you then paint the walls your fashion colour.

I'd go with the pale grey everywhere and then blush and green for the walls, towels etc

• Heather
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks for everyone’s comments, good idea to go with safe tiles and keep up to date with more easily changed aspects of the bathroom!

Was thinking about mixing the lighter grey or darker grey hexagon tile with a brick or chevron pattern as I think it looks really good, however struggling to decide where to put hex tiles and where to put chevron/brick. We are going to go with a straight edged shower seat which removes the need for mosaic tiles (which we weren’t keen on) but can’t decide which way round to do it!

Am thinking one type of tile to the floor and shower floor, and another type of tile to the shower walls, seat and wall behind sink. Or should we tile seat the same as the floor?

If going for grey/light tiles throughout, should floor be darker and walls be lighter?

Should the brick/chevron tiles be roughly same size as hexagons or smaller/larger?

We are definitely set on these hex tiles either white or grey - any suggestions for brick tiles to go with?

Cheers

Cheers

• Heather
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Hex/brick/chevron mixtures I found!

• Juliet Docherty
    hace 4 años

I used three different tiles in my bathroom, but the wall colour was an exact match to one of the tiles. The largest area which was mid to pale in tone was the wall tiles and wall paint, the next dark tone was the floor and the darkest area is the small bit behind the bath. You could mix different colours but make the tones different and you can always make the wall the same as one of the tiles to simplify things.

• rinked
    hace 4 años

My bathroom is a mitchmatch of tiles too, but it isn't stylish or timeless or any of that. It's OUR bathroom, me and the husband love it just the way it is. And the mosaic took me weeks to make, so won't be getting rid of that anytime soon! ;)

What I'm trying to say is; if you plan on staying there for a looooooong time, do as you please. But make sure it will be a place to wind down, relax, something soothing.

• rinked
    hace 4 años

When using patterns and different colors, use large surfaces in the same color. Colors/shades that complement eachother (not bite). Different tile shapes in the same color, such as this:

Or use 'the other color' for fun personal accents:

Use one surface to make the floortile go up:

And perhaps see if your rounded showerseat could be made of fiberglass/similar, one solid color, no grout.

• PRO
    Brandler London
    hace 4 años

I have mentioned this in a previous thread, but an option is to consider is buying a porcelain sheet product which is 3mm thick and comes in sizes upto 3,000mm x 1,000mm in size such as from https://pyroandecho.com/

Do you not make the mistake of thinking that this is an inferior product, it is not however it is one that has not had much marketing in the standard residential world.

The material cost may well be higher than your standard tiles, however installation is very quick and simple and thus the labour costs are considerably less. The product can even be fixed to existing tiles without any problem.

All in all it is worth some investigation as you may find that you could "tile" the entire bathroom within your budget, unless you are DIYing... :-)

• PRO
    User
    hace 4 años

Heather, we like the idea of hexagonal tiles in blush pink in the shower enclosure and grey on the floor. Or the green chevron tile in the shower enclosure and grey floor tiles. Don’t be afraid to mix and match pattern and colours. Although we do think it is better to go lighter on the walls and darker on the floor. Especially if your ceiling is sloped as it is in your case. if you would need help with your renovation project, give us a call. We would be happy to help!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.