Houzz Logo Print
jeffq7396

Old House... New Color? Painted Brick?

jeffq7396
hace 4 años

We just bought a new old house, and the outside definitely needs something... a refresh... I've gone through all the discussions on here and still can't quite figure out what we should do. My wife feels that we should paint the house all one color (brick and siding). She likes all grey with white trim. I'm still on the fence on wether to paint the brick, but i will say that at least 5 houses on the block have their bricks painted over, so our home wouldn't be out of place if we went that route. So should we paint the brick?

The bushes are definitely overgrown, my wife wants to just trim them down to half the size, but everything i read says that these bushes, Arborvitae, can't just be trimmed down that low. So should we just remove them and replant something else in their place?

The garage door is being replaced, any suggestions on what color we should paint it? I think the same color we choose for the shutters

Any design help from this community we be greatly appreciated...

Comentarios (7)

• cat_ky
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

The arborvitae are all on one side, and make the house look lopsided. I would call in a landscaper to draw up a new plan, that will look good with your house and your area. The hedging on the side are way overgrown too. I have also read that arborvitae cant be trimmed to look good. A landscaper would most likely know the answer to that. I would also paint the garage door to match the brick color, and then maybe not do anymore painting, until the rest of the exterior comes together nicely. Its a shame the previous owners let everything get so oversized. It may be too late to save any of it now. Congratulations on your new home. It looks very nice and what I can see of it, your neighborhood also looks well maintained.

• della70
    hace 4 años

Remove those trees. They are too big and look like they are about to attack the house and you are correct about not being able to lop them off. I suspect they may be doing damage to the foundation since they are so closely planted.

jeffq7396 agradeció a della70
  • PRO
    Anew Home Design
    hace 4 años

I agree with the above. I would like to see the gutters a color matching the roof , the front door a dark grey (SW6257 Gibraltar) and the home siding and brick painted an off white ( check out SW 7631 City Loft)

Good Luck with it!

jeffq7396 agradeció a Anew Home Design
  • acm
    hace 4 años

Can you stain the brick and then paint the siding to match? I agree it would be an improvement in this case, because the division between the two finishes was set way too high (to acommodate the big gable). Agree with darkening the garage door, too, to deemphasize it.

jeffq7396 agradeció a acm
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 4 años

Looks like the brick on the side is faded and pale. I think this may be a case for German Smear on your brick and another color on your siding that minimizes the harsh divide between the two. Then go with a blue gray for the shutters that works well with your roof color. This will help get your wife's grey desire satisfied and you can add a red front door.

jeffq7396 agradeció a decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    SOLSTICE Planning and Architecture
    hace 4 años

I agree with your wife! Paint the bricks and siding all one color. That will look very nice. But I would go very light with just the slightest wisp of grey in it. The result will be vert classy. (Attaching a picture of one of our projects. We always go light - the whiter the better!)

Cherokee Park West · Más información

jeffq7396 agradeció a SOLSTICE Planning and Architecture
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.