Houzz Logo Print
louisehayward_ray

Parquet style flooring on a budget help?!

L Ray
hace 4 años
I absolutely love the look of parquet flooring and have set my heart on it for my bedroom. However, what was supposed to be a mini make over has become a full on transformation so am looking for something very affordable and not too difficult to lay (Am I dreaming?) I’ve been doing a bit of research and LVT and laminate seem to be the most popular options but the prices seem to vary greatly being anything between £200 to £1000 for the quantity needed. I’d love to hear your opinions/experiences/recommendations as to what would best suit a bedroom/most cost effective/quality etc.

Thanks in advance!

A wishful thinker! (:

Comentarios (15)

• PRO
    Italian Design Ltd
    hace 4 años

Hi Louise we can offer laminate from £17+vat per square metre

LVT from £12+vat per square metre.

feel free to get in touch if you need more info.

all the best

• User
    hace 4 años

Those prices above, Italian Design, seem to be the wrong way round. LVT for only £12m² +VAT. Is that right?

If you're working on a tight budget and it's for a bedroom, worth considering cushion vinyl. It'll be quieter than laminate and there are one or two manufacturers around who produce some incredibly authentic looking designs.

Take a look at these sites for ideas:

You can order samples direct from the manufacturer and we can submit prices if there is anything that tickles your fancy.

Any good?

• Jonathan
    hace 4 años
    Go to an independent carpet store and see what they recommend.
    My Mum recently bought Camaro which is an LVT brand- it had less choice than the premium Brands but half the price.
  • User
    hace 4 años

You can see and buy Camaro on our site by clicking here, Louise.

• PRO
    Ark One Group
    hace 4 años

Hi there, we'd recommend getting in touch with our team to see how they may be able to help. Prices start at £115 per m/2 (for supply only - from £195 per m/2). All of our wood is 100% sustainable, too, sourced from actively replenished forests - so great if you're concerned about your eco credentials!

• Sonia
    hace 4 años
    What about sheet vinyl? I’ve used it in my bathroom and I’m really pleased with it. It’s so much better than the years of old and mine is non slip too. You will need to board the floor if you have floorboards.
  • rinked
    hace 4 años

Sheet vinyl! I've had whitewash plank look in my studio apartment for years and everybody was full of ooohs and aaahs (and dead silent when I told them it was 'mere vinyl'. Ha! It was one of the more luxurious ones at one of the cheaper stores in the Netherlands. Just had to make sure I didn't move my furniture around too much, since it was quite soft.

• rinked
    hace 4 años

Sidenote: Laminate can make your room sound hollow without rugs and drapes, but goes better on wooden subfloors. Vinyl and pvc absorb more sound somehow and feel a little less cold (and is very easy to keep clean).

• L Ray
    Autor original
    hace 4 años
    Hi all,

Thank you so much for all of your responses!

I’m leaning towards some sort of vinyl affair, looking for a dark herringbone style if anyone has any suggestions?

Quick question about the sheet vinyl suggested, is this the same as lino or polyflor? Polyflor seems very reasonably priced so wondered if they were the same? As you can tell I’m pretty clueless with flooring.

Also, my floorboards aren’t particularly even, would this cause lots of problems with the vinyl?

Thanks again (:
  • Sonia
    hace 4 años
    Lino is linoleum and I’ve heard good things about it, but I’ve never used it. Lino can also be a general term used for vinyl flooring. You cannot lay vinyl sheets on floorboards as it can split the vinyl with the movement. I had my bathroom boarded with ply to create a smooth service for the vinyl. Of course that will be extra expense. If you have to pay someone to board the floor first then it may be cheaper just to get them to lay laminate. I have laminate in my living room and I don’t find it particularly noisy, but then I do have a rug on some of it. Laminate is pretty cheap compared to wood. Mine was a cheapie from Topps Tiles - it was a temporary solution but I really like it so have kept it!
  • PRO
    Italian Design Ltd
    hace 4 años

We offer LVT herringbone planks at £29.62 sqm + VAT. Feel free to msg us for more info

• rinked
    hace 4 años

Every floor thinner than 6mm does need an even floor or a subfloor. Some laminates have a foam backing for soundproofing that can take up to 1mm in height differences. If your floor has more humps and bumps, laminate or carpet will most likely be cheaper..

• User
    hace 4 años

Crikey… so much repetition!

We called cushion vinyl as an option, right at the very start of your thread, L Ray. Poor you having to read so much repeat.

Cushion vinyl (cv) sometimes gets confused with "lino". True lino is linoleum - look it up here. It's a natural product which is fab but being resilient it's a little hard and cold, perhaps, for most peoples bedrooms AND it is quite expensive and likely to blow your budget.

CV, as we previously mentioned, is a genuine option. Good manufacturers make it authentic looking, as "rinq" previously vouched for. We gave you some links in our first post of the UK's biggest supplier of cv. A Belgium manufacturer called IVC. For more info click here. We supply all their products so we'd suggest you carry out a little online research of their collections (Leoline and Avenue)

Polyflor should be considered for their well priced and authentic looking luxury vinyl tiles (LVT). You may find their products fit within your budget. Click here for some ideas. However, without doubt, if you are looking for wood style flooring, the cheapest/entry level products will be cushion vinyl.

Oh, as per "forzaitalia", you will need a little sub-floor preparation for those floor boards. You may be able to get away with hardboarding them rather than ply. Hardboard is cheaper and is acceptable when using in conjunction with CV. Just depends on how good/bad your floorboards are.

Hope this helps you a bit more, L Ray.

• Kazza None
    hace 4 años
    I've had wood effect vinyl in my lounge and hall for the past 15 years. It's warm underfoot, easy to clean, and visitors have all assumed it was wood or laminate. I'd like to change it for a different design but it's in such good condition I can't justify ripping it up, and that's after 12 years of dog racing about on it. If I did change it I would go for a vinyl again, not necessarily the high priced lvt, as mine was reasonably priced vinyl all those years ago, befor lot became a thing!!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.