Houzz Logo Print
hayley_douglass

hallway renovations

Hayley Douglass
hace 4 años
Hi, I have just had a loft conversion and now need to decorate the new hallway.
It’s a Victoria terrace house which is traditional and industrial throughout.
Was needing help for ideas on the hallway. Staircase I was wanting to leave wood, and was thinking of wallpaper on the walls with a high picture rail and paint above? Help and ideas needed.

Thanks

Hayley

Comentarios (20)

• chloeloves
    hace 4 años
    Hi Hayley. Gorgeous space! I would have to advise against a picture rail. They would traditionally be in a room rather than a hallway/stairs. If you start a picture rail by the front door for example how do you then follow it up the stairs? It doesn’t work. A dado height would be more appropriate, you can then paper below and paint above or vice versa. Usually darker colours are used below with lighter on top. You need to consider skirtings and doors too, will they be natural/same colour as below dado or different. Look at traditional Victorian hallways on here and Pinterest to see what colours and tones you are drawn to.
  • E D
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Lovely project.

The stairs appear to be new and I personally think they would look better painted, also since you've mentioned ‘industrial’.

Interestingly, although your house does appear to be Victorian, the front door and its stained transom look more in the style of the 20s/ 30s.

• PRO
    User
    hace 4 años

A picture rail would look really nice, you fit it in the same manner as a Dado rail and follow the line of the stairs to get the height right. It looks like there was one there at some point, as there's a line all around the wall about 18" down from the ceiling.

I think i'd go for a door with a little more glass, to get more light in . I'm not convinced the door is original as the glass in the door differs from that at the sides and the top. Blues would look great with either white paintwork , or stripped / painted doors.

Great project.

• Hayley Douglass
    Autor original
    hace 4 años
    Thanks guys, yes I was considering a high picture /dado rail. Still have no idea for ground floor? Tiles? Striped floor boards?
    ♀️♀️
    Thinking definitely carpet for all the way upstairs to the loft! ♀️
  • Hayley Douglass
    Autor original
    hace 4 años
    Don’t know how you created that pic of blue but it looks great! thanks
  • PRO
    User
    hace 4 años

Mostly photoshop and a couple of other tricks!

• Hayley Douglass
    Autor original
    hace 4 años
    Sue, I love love love that!!!! Thankyou! X
  • Hayley Douglass
    Autor original
    hace 4 años
    Just laughing as just bought a 2.5 litre tin of railings paint for my en suite upstairs!!!
  • minnie101
    hace 4 años

It looks a Lovely hall. I can't photoshop but 1st pic is just to give an idea. If in budget I'd go for a tiled floor. As the floor will be coming up I might consider moving the radiator to the opposite wall and installing a cast iron one Instead. If not, try a console like the last pic EDIT I've just looked back and seen how long it is! I'd go for a black iron console with a round mirror, pick up the gold bits on the console with a lamp (Lamp is neither industrial or traditional but I liked it!) and accessorise with plants and deeper green and maybe a shade of yellow ceramics to pick up the stained glass. The pendant is quite traditional and picks up the shape of the lamp shade. Something similar to this art I think works fine with the style if that's your thing. I probably wouldn't reinstate the picture rail and I'd just go for paint, maybe a brownish pink like the 5th pic (paint and paper library temple)?. If you want to keep the stairs as wood then I'd consider a deep rich stain which should work with the paint. Are you in the process of stripping the doors? Is there also room for a chair or bench where you've got the console? I should say I'm being lazy and have that art and those tiles on order but it was just to give an idea :)

• Sonia
    hace 4 años
    Definitely a tiled floor which will reflect the age of your beautiful house. I love the door and side panels, very Arts & Crafts. Embrace those gorgeous period features! Loving the ideas from everyone, and here’s a few more!
  • Sonia
    hace 4 años
    Forgot to say the Victorians loved stained glass so I would imagine your front door is an original, or a damned good copy! Beautiful.
  • Hayley Douglass
    Autor original
    hace 4 años
    @minnie101 I love your ideas , love the black cast iron radiator!!! I’m definitely changing that! X
  • Hayley Douglass
    Autor original
    hace 4 años
    @fortzalia definitely going to save up and get tiles, I think that would help make a statement! And yes, the front door is a huge, wide original!
    Thanks to everyone for all your help, it has really helped!

Thanks xxx
  • E D
    hace 4 años

I'm no expert but the profiles of your doors seem a little unusual for a Victorian house, or at least the houses I've seen.

Perhaps in your area, Haley, that's how they were built.

Either way, it looks a great house.

Do you know its age?

• Hayley Douglass
    Autor original
    hace 4 años
    Hi E D ,

The deeds of the house written in calligraphy state it was built in 1903.....that does make it Victorian??? Or is it Edwardian???
  • minnie101
    hace 4 años

Edwardian but mine is early Victorian so has some more regency features :)

• Sonia
    hace 4 años

Googled it and Edwardian period was 1901 - 1910, but the styles often blur :-D

• PRO
    London Mosaic
    hace 4 años

Here are a few Images from our gallery of hallways we have supplied sheeted tiles for.

Hope this helps and do not hesitate to get in contact for more information

020 8699 0820

or

info@londonmosaic.com

Kind Regards,

London Mosaic

Website

• rinked
    hace 4 años

Start with offwhite walls, ceiling and trim, fix the missing peaces of plaster and crown molding. Clear coat on your stairs, probably new carpet on the steps (it could be messy underneath that) or some other 'anti-slip and silent' covering, or paint when possible. Floortiles in the hallway, anything from victorian to terrazzo look or from portuguese pattern to solid charcoal.

Then decide on wall colors (would personally not use wallpaper). Pick colors from the stained glass, for example, be it paler/darker/brighter. Or just keep your hallway white (with a heavily patterned floor and that stained glass, wow!).

Love the victorian dramatic look and colors, but would modernise it a little. Brighter.

Example: My hallway (not victorian, but 1950) already had terrazzo floors and cement plaster on the lower half of the walls, so I painted the cement and all trim offwhite (RAL9010 semigloss), sanded down the doors (painted the inset paneling offwhite, rest bare pine with clear varnish), black baseboard. Blank canvas. The wall next to the stairs had to be neutral and light, because it goes up, so painted that a light sand. Downstairs I used a warm yellow on the top half of the walls. Upstairs a dark teal, which contrasts really nice with the white trim and doors.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.