Houzz Logo Print
watchedpoppy

Variable speed pool pump & solar electricity.Do you really save money?

watchedpoppy
hace 5 años

Have you got any experience with single vs variable speed pool pump and saving money with solar power?

My research tells me that you save money by using a variable speed pool pump because you can run it at a lower speed to filter your pool. However, you therefore have to run it for a longer time to turn over the water a couple of times. Therefore it seems that the pump will need to run about 6-7hrs at a lower speed, using more of the 'free' daytime solar electricity. (I have a 5.7kW solar system)

Would it be best to use a single speed pump that will filter the water in a quicker time (and cheaper to purchase) than a variable speed slower filtering pump (more expensive to purchase and uses more solar time)?

Appreciate any advice. Thanks Houzzers

Comentarios (3)

• watchedpoppy
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Bump

• PRO
    Frank Ansell
    hace 4 años

You have to be careful because there's several different meanings to the term 'variable speed pump'.

True "variable speed pumps" are generally used in hydraulic systems of commercial buildings, where you have variable flow requirements due to valves opening and closing on the system.

In that case, a variable speed pump can slow down or speed up to suit the required flow rate, which is more efficient than a single speed pump which just runs at the maximum speed all the time, wasting energy if only a small flow is required.

However, many pumps come as a multi-speed option which means they have a switch that allows you to adjust the speed.

For a pool filter circuit, you're right in that the pump is either running or it isn't - there's no variable flow rate required. However, you want to make sure you don't oversize the pump otherwise it uses more energy than required. Equally though, you don't want it undersized.

Is your pool heated? If so, the energy required to heat the pool will MASSIVELY exceed the energy to run the pump!

• watchedpoppy
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks Frank. Yes I guess a multi speed pump would be the more accurate term. Pool shops and companies advertise it as a variable speed. That being said I think I will save money by running the pump for a longer time during the day at a slower speed (using my free solar power). You're right about the cost of heating it though.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.